Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Gallup NM hotel and dinner ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gallup-nm-hotel-and-dinner-ideas-408192/)

Dogloving1 Aug 5th, 2008 12:54 PM

Gallup NM hotel and dinner ideas

Hi there. I'm trying to set up a night in a hotel and dinner for a friend's parents. I'd love to get them a bed and breakfast room somewhere but have no luck finding such. Does anyone have any ideas about the area? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks. Lori

Dogloving1 Aug 5th, 2008 01:06 PM

Since I last posted, I've found El Rancho hotel on the internet in Gallup. Does anyone know anything about this hotel?

ronkala Aug 5th, 2008 04:13 PM

We stayed at a hotel in Gallup a couple of years ago and it was right across from the rr tracks.
Freight trains passed by all night long so it was a sleepless night.

The hotel, a Super 8 was very nice, just a bad location. You might want to google it to get an address and then mapquest the two locations to get an idea of the nearness of the rr.

monpetit Aug 5th, 2008 11:50 PM

El Rancho could be a good choice if you are looking for an "atmosphere"...
Rooms named/moovie's actor, an incontestable charm, but not the modernity.
As railways is in the city, almost all the hotels have the inconvenient of the noise there.
The restaurant at El rancho was good when we were there, and there was at a couple of yards a nice mexican restaurant.
In conclusion, a good choice if you accept to be in a non stereotyped hotel.
Staff could be nice, but could be rude : it is also the charm of such adress.
The Alan Ladd room, over a sort of patio was a good choice.
There are also some motels room but avoid it as there are not in the
original building.
Erik

J62 Aug 6th, 2008 02:24 AM

There are a couple of hotels on the N side of the interstate at Maloney @ US491. Hampton Inn, Ramada, and Quality Inn. They are all far enough away from the RR so they are quiet. They are basic but ok interstate exit chain motels. No more, no less.

Gallup isn't your typical B&B type destination - it's more of a stop as you're going from here to there.

Ackislander Aug 6th, 2008 03:36 AM

El Rancho is a hoot. You should not hesitate to send friends there to spend the night. I wouldn't stay there for a week, but you wouldn't spend a week in Gallup anyway, if you could help it.

You are staying in what amounts to a national monument, and the beds were fine. Not luxurious, though. Comfort leveels very much like a B&B. Hearty western, Mexican influenced food, not European gourmet.

Places like this and the Ford and Edison estates in Ft Myers,FL, always remind me how simply even the rich and famous in Americal lived not so very long ago.

2dogs Aug 6th, 2008 05:36 AM

Earl's is the best restruant to experince local food and buy Native jewelry and crafts...the local craftsmen are allowed to sell thier wares outside the building and some are permitted to sell at your table...you can get really great deals there on fine jewelry...the locals go there to eat as well...if you want convinence, may I suggest the Holiday Inn on the west side...great place with indoor pool, bar and great restruant all in one building...free breakfast buffey...have a great time while in Gallup

Dogloving1 Aug 6th, 2008 05:48 AM

Thanks, all, for your kind replies. Based on the recommendations, I went ahead and booked the El Rancho for friend's folks - they have very simple wants so it sounds perfect! Thanks again!