Reload this Page >

FYI - article in the sunday paper about Fodor forum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 04:10 PM
angel

I just got through browsing today's paper and found in the travel section an extremely interesting article on the internet and this forum.

The article talked about internet forums rating several on several points. Fodor's came in dead last on a field of 100, because it "lacked a positive forum atmosphere and moderation, and also failed to enforce the subscriber agreement."

The article went on to say that this forum is a perfect example of how not to use the internet.

Somehow, I had the feeling this was going to happen.

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 04:28 PM
wendy

Well, which paper?

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 04:28 PM
Al

A couple questions. Which newspaper are you referring to? Which forums were rated highly? Who did the rating?

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 05:52 PM
susan

"failed to enforce the subscriber agreement"? WHAT agreement? This forum is FREE...subscription is unnecessary, and in my opinion we're getting worlds of valuable information. Like the others I'd be curious to know exactly who wrote this article and the other forums that were compared.

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 07:58 PM
Not AMS

I find it hard to believe there are 99 other web forums which are more useful than this one (unless surveyors latched onto strings by AMS, Noah and some other genomic outliers).
I'd REALLY like to see the list, angel, or at least a top 5. Which paper?

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 08:50 PM
Paul

Well, for one thing, you have people on here peddling luggage and looking for sexual partners if you read some of the smart travel tips forums. Those have no place here.
Paul

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 09:02 PM
April

Surely the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree didn't rate better than this?

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 01:18 AM
Mel

1) I don't believe that Fodor's travel forums would come in last in any travel articlke about the Internet. For one there AREN"T even 100 travel boards on the internet. And in any list I bet Fodor's boards would be #1. They are far above the rest.....and I know as I read them all. 2) I think angel is a mole person. Crawl back into the NYC tunnels where you sprang from angel (more like devil).

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 05:23 AM
Neal Sanders

"Angel" is having some fun at your expense. I just did a web newspaper dredge and found nothing of the kind that matches his description. I did find one interesting item from April 3... Fodors.com ranks as the 87th most "bookmarked" web site on the internet according to HotLinks.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 01:43 PM
kevin

Seems like someone else posted this tidbit before I could. Great article.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Patrick

So now we have two posters who don't like this site so much that they spend a lot of time on it, and both are pulling our legs. Of course there was no such article or at least one of the two would have told us where it was.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 03:59 PM
Donna

There are lots of articles in lots of newspapers that are totally inaccurate. Interesting that no one has named the paper...

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 04:01 PM
John

Didn't Fodor's win a gold medal last year from the SATW (Society of American Travel Writers) Foundation for BEST TRAVEL WEB SITE?
I think "Angel" must be a travel agent.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 06:00 PM
Exposed

"Angel" is quite obviously MAUIHEIDI or that other vindictive/bitter agent posting recently with the gall to list her ASTA address on her postings.
Childish subversive acts born of small minds.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 06:48 PM
Mustangs81

Angel, Perhaps strange, but I found your last statement most puzzling. What were you referring to when you say..."Somehow, I had the feeling this was going to happen"? You had a feeling what was going to happen? An article in the paper about Fodor's?? A ranking of travel web sites?? You posting a bogus message?? Not that I expect a response.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 06:25 AM
CS

Good heavens people, just read the replies to the original post and you can see why this sight might be ranked at the bottom of the list. There is so much childish bickering and name calling going on here it's stupid. you all should go to your rooms.