Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Funny, odd, or unique words or phrases you've heard while on vacation. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/funny-odd-or-unique-words-or-phrases-youve-heard-while-on-vacation-308693/)

theladyjess Apr 19th, 2003 07:26 PM

Funny, odd, or unique words or phrases you've heard while on vacation.

What funny, odd, unique or weird words or phrases have you heard locals say while on vacation?<BR>When my in-laws were in Maine they asked for directions to get to a town across the bay and were told &quot;you can't get there from here&quot;. <BR> I once had a co-worker from the south who said, &quot;I'm fixin' to go get me some groceries&quot; when she needed to go to the market. <BR> When I dated a guy from Wisconsin he referred to a drinking fountian as a &quot;bubbler&quot;.

lolly Apr 19th, 2003 08:12 PM

Myrtle Beach - grocery store. I asked if they sold wine. The lady said &quot;we sure don't.&quot;

rwilliams Apr 19th, 2003 08:36 PM

People in the northeast refer to fountains as bubblers. It's not an anomalous saying if you're a resident.<BR><BR>What is incorrect or odd about saying &quot;you can't get there from here&quot; or &quot;we sure don't&quot;? <BR>

gypsy Apr 19th, 2003 08:37 PM

while visiting friends in texas, my daughter, then @ 4 yrs. old asked where Luke (her playmate and son of people we were visiting...) was. she was told he was 'in yonder' (meaning a different room than the one we were in). she then asked, &quot;Which room is 'yonder'?&quot; she knew there was a living room, bedroom, kitchen, etc. and she wanted to know which room was the 'yonder room'...

traveler24 Apr 19th, 2003 09:34 PM

Visiting relatives in Georgia.<BR>We were talking about going to the store. One of the relatives said that he would &quot;carry&quot; me there..<BR>I love to hear different ways of expressing things. I used to think there was more of these sayings in the south but thats because I had never been much of anywhere be fore I moved to California<BR>

Jon_Eric Apr 19th, 2003 11:12 PM

Boston, someone asked if I was a &quot;taurus&quot; and I said, no I'm a Virgo.<BR>They actually meant &quot;tourist&quot; not my zodiac sign. :) <BR><BR>Baltimore, I'd left my car lights <BR>&quot;owen&quot; turns out I'd left them &quot;on&quot;. <BR><BR>Adelaide, Australia, Invitation to a &quot;fancy dress&quot; party. Imagine my surprise to learn (too late) that fancy dress is costume party not tuxedos. <BR><BR>Here in New Orleans we have lots of phrases that seem to exist only here.

Anonymous Apr 20th, 2003 02:57 AM

LOL, Jon, hope you told the Aussies that you had come as Fred Astaire!

ilisa Apr 20th, 2003 03:05 AM

I'm from the Northeast, and never, ever heard the term bubbler until a friend from Boston mentioned it recently.

dfrostnh Apr 20th, 2003 03:09 AM

My English friend said she had to stop saying she was going to knock someone up (go visit) when she moved to the states. <BR>Here in New England we were surprised that mid-Westerners didn't put jimmies on their ice cream. I grew up here but I was shocked to hear my MIL refer to putting the baby down, meaning making a child take a nap. I thought only old animals were put down. She also refers to a poor section of town as 'the pig's ear' and my fil refers to holes as big enough to swing a cat through.<BR>A friend from Boston who went to college in Madison WI told friends she was going to the party; they thought she was saying going to the potty. While traveling some of the South Carolina islands we almost turned around because we saw a sign that said &quot;bridge is open when lights are flashing&quot;. The lights weren't flashing so that meant the bridge was closed ... which I finally figured meant it was &quot;open&quot; for traffic because the draw bridge was &quot;closed&quot; (down).

schmerl Apr 20th, 2003 04:36 AM

In Pennsylvania Dutch areas they &quot;Outen the lights&quot; (turn off the lights) and &quot;red up the room&quot; (clean up).

Dreamer2 Apr 20th, 2003 04:43 AM

My mother (native New Englander of British descent) always said, &quot;Chock-a-block full.&quot; Which I never heard again until I worked in Germany with a group of Brits. Of course I grew up with bubbler, tonic, frappe, and so forth. But I was amazed at how quickly &quot;y'all&quot; became a part of my vocab when I lived with Southerners.

Julia Apr 20th, 2003 05:31 AM

I once had a friend from Boston who referred to a trash can as a &quot;rubbish barrel.&quot;

Arabella Apr 20th, 2003 10:08 AM

Lolly, took me a while to get used to the Southern, &quot;We sure don't.&quot; They get your hopes up with that &quot;sure.&quot;<BR><BR>At an auction on Cape Cod, I bought a small outdoor statue, and someone told me I should clean it with a &quot;shop knife.&quot; I kept asking what kind of shop knife until I realized he was saying &quot;sharp knife.&quot;<BR>

dg Apr 20th, 2003 10:32 AM

second grade student moving from New Zealand talking about her father buying her a block of chocolate... or as we call it, a candy bar -<BR>

EnglishOne Apr 20th, 2003 10:35 AM

Julia - your friend from Boston called trash a 'rubbish barrel'. In Britain, we call the 'trash' rubbish. So the trash can is the 'rubbish bin'. It is called garbage as well - (that might be one we got from the USA!) but rubbish is the usual term. I wonder if other Boston words/phrases sound like our British terms?

Syv Apr 20th, 2003 10:45 AM

I usually get odd looks in the U.S. when I ask directions to the &quot;washroom&quot;. Then I remember to change it to &quot;restroom&quot;.

Becca Apr 20th, 2003 11:15 AM

I'm from Tennessee, so a lot of the phrases that have already been mentioned &quot;we sure don't&quot; and &quot;fixin' to go (do something)&quot; are part of my normal vocabulary. Traveler24's comment about relatives from Georgia &quot;carrying&quot; him to the store reminded me of something. I lived in rural west Tennessee for a couple of years (I now live in Knoxville - east Tennessee). People there would say &quot;who is he going to carry to the dance&quot; or &quot;who does she carry&quot;, which meant &quot;who will he be taking as his date to the dance&quot; or &quot;who does she date&quot;. I always thought that was the strangest little phrase. It's funny how one part of a Tennessee has completely different phrases than another.

Colette Apr 20th, 2003 11:34 AM

A co-worker of mine (from Texas) ordered a glass of iced tea and the waitress brought her a glass of wine. My Texas friend said, &quot;no ma'am, I ordered a glass of ICED TEA&quot;. The Waitress (from Wisconsin) thought she had said &quot;Asti&quot;. :)

sister2 Apr 20th, 2003 11:43 AM

While vacation in Jamaica, I overheard a couple of Philly mentioning they were going to eat at &quot;noon -thirty&quot;.<BR><BR>My New Zealand friend &amp; co-worker once asked me, in front of the entire office, if I had a rubber. I asked what she meant ..and she pointed to her eraser on her pencil.

gypsy Apr 20th, 2003 12:18 PM

Colette -<BR>The exact same thing happened to my hubby in Denver 25 yrs ago! Pyrenees Restaurant... we're from Texas, in Denver for wedding. when he ordered iced tea, the waiter said, &quot;Very good choice of wine, sir&quot;. we looked at each other, wondering what the waiter meant... it wasn't until a few years later (when we started drinking wine), that i realized what had happened!