Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fun things to do in Chicago?? Family stuff + thrill? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fun-things-to-do-in-chicago-family-stuff-thrill-901634/)

Mystyl Aug 5th, 2011 10:39 AM

Fun things to do in Chicago?? Family stuff + thrill?

Heya,

Okay - so the family and I are planning a trip to Chicago, Illinois at the end of August - plan on staying there for 3-5 days depending on what we plan to do. So here's the thing - I'm from Canada and I know nothing about Chicago.

The plan? No idea... have fun and visit places maybe. So my question is ... what would you recommend for the family (all are adults except for a 14 year old girl) and me (me = thrill seeking person). Any help is highly appreciated and thanks!

tchoiniere Aug 5th, 2011 11:00 AM

Go to the top of the Willis Tower and go out on the glass enclosure.
Chicago Architecture Foundation boat cruise
Cubs and / or a White Sox game
Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Hayden Planetarium
Millenium Park

HappyTrvlr Aug 5th, 2011 11:03 AM

Also Navy Pier..ferris wheel..gonto one of the beaches such as Oak Street or North Ave beach.

Uma Aug 5th, 2011 01:02 PM

Art Institute, top of the Hancock building, Museum of Science and Industry, theater, concerts, pizza, italian beef, hot dogs and lots of wonderful food, Buckingham Fountain, carriage ride, speed boat from Navy Pier, walk or bike along the lakefront, Lincoln Park Zoo, Michigan Avenue.

missypie Aug 5th, 2011 02:07 PM

Depending on your values and the particular 14 year old girl, you might want to consider a show at Second City. Their website says they allow kids over 10 but recommend 16. They say the show is equivalent to an R rated movie. However, my D went there on a HS field trip, so it can't be that bad.

Citylghts Aug 5th, 2011 06:52 PM

Check www.explorechicago.org or www.choosechicago.com, the official visitor sites of the city and convention bureau for ideas.

In addition to the above recommendations, there are baseball games, Segway tours, shopping, the History Museum, Oriental Institute and several other museums.

The Hayden Planetarium is in NYC, but you could visit the Adler Planetarium.

For transit info, check wwww.transitchicago.com. You can find maps, schedules and a trip planner. Transit passes would be a wise investment. A 3-day pass is $14 and allows unlimited rides on all CTA trains and buses. They're available at both airports and most CVS or Walgreens stores in the city.

japw82 Aug 6th, 2011 07:17 AM

Go shopping on Michigan Ave and the surrounding area. Macys on State St. is a must see for the architecture. Eat some deep dish pizza. We love Lou Malnatis or Pizzeria Uno or Due. If you have a car, head to Six Flags in Gurnee, IL. They have several thrill rides. Gurnee Mills, an outlet mall is also nearby.