Fun stop between Virginia Beach and Wintergreen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on tips from Birdie, i'm looking at a Virginia Beach and Wintergreen vacation with my husband, two teenagers and parents in their 70s in very good health.
Any tips on something fun to do between Virginia Beach and Wintergreen other than the sites associated with Richmond?
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Take the less-direct, southern route to Wintergreen and you can stop at Holiday Lake State Park for swimming, canoeing, hiking, etc. Nearby is the Appomattox Courthouse National Historical Park which is well worth a visit.

If you want to take a more direct route, at Scottsville (not far from Wintergreen), you can go innertubing on the James River. James River Rafting and James River Reeling and Rafting are but two outfitters that offer this.

And, of course, there is always Charlottesville with Monticello, the University of Virginia and other attractions.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

longhorn55, Thank you for those great tips. We'll have a hard time choosing which of those to pursue, since they all sound great!
Any advice on whether or not it's worth our time to visit Jamestown? We don't care for tourist-trap type settings, and that's kind of the vibe I'm getting from looking around on the internet.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 11:22 AM

Colonial Williamsburg will probably feel like a tourist trap to you but if you go to Historic Jamestown, the archeological site, it is quite interesting and not phony feeling. NOT Jamestown settlement.

Charlottesville is a great stop, too for the reasons mentioned.

I'm unclear on your timeline--are you looking for roadside stops between the two places on a day trip or places to stop and spend a day or two?
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

This trip is just in the early planning stages. We only have five nights, and right now, we think we'll fly into Norfolk and out of Richmond or vice versa. My teenage son wants to hit a beach and get a surf lesson (He loved that at Kennebunkport last year.), and my teenage daughter doesn't care much for the beach but lit up when we mentioned Jamestown.
None of us cares for big city, touristy, crowded spots, and we're trying to make the best use of the time that we have to spend.
We're completely unfamiliar with the area and are open to any helpful advice. Thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jamestown Settlement is no more a tourist trap than Monticello. If you have a family member with a particular interest, the two sites which are adjacent complement each other very well.

Virginia Beach? Now there's a place that can be tourist trap. There are a number of surf schools there.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

So any tips on beaches less-crowded than Virginia Beach that might have surf school?
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 09:04 PM

Historic Jamestowne, the National Park site, is very much worth a visit and is not touristy at all. You can walk around site and see the foundations of original buildings; you can see items they've found in the archeological dig in the Archaearium; you can walk or drive the 3-mile or 5-mile scenic/historic route; and (my favorite), you can watch costumed glassblowers blow glass in the Glasshouse using methods and tools they would have used in Jamestown in 1608.

www.nps.gov/jame
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 03:50 AM

If you go the Historic Jamestown NP, one of the senior citizens can get a National Park pass for $10 which is good in all National Parks/monuments/seashores/historic sites for lifetime admission for them and the others in their car.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 05:47 AM

So it sounds like you are exploring your options and planning to whittle down what does not work. That's always a good approach.

Good tip about admission to NPs emalloy. They can also then drive a portion of their trip on the Shenandoah National Park's Skyline drive if they wish to go that way.

Virginia Beach is indeed a very busy touristy beach. But it's great for people watching. You might want to pick a location where your son can take his lesson and then your family can drive to another beach for your beach time? Chincotague Island is supposed to be quieter though I have not been there.

I have taken a surf lesson on the DelMarVa Coast (Delaware) and it isn't all that great. I don't know how it compares to ME. The surf just generally isn't that big and doesn't usually break far enough out for a good ride (we've experienced the exception in the Outer Banks, NC from time to time). If your son is just learning, though, he probably won't mind. I just thought I would throw the info out so you can make an informed decision weighing the importance of surf lessons against your desire for a quieter beach.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 11:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.surfandadventure.com/ocean-rentals-ltd/

Sandbridge is a less touristy section of Virgina Beach. If the grandparents don't want to sit on the beach during lessons, there is a very nice aquarium there.

I'm going to throw it out there, just in case: Busch Gardens is on your way.

If you go from Va Beach to Jamestown, you absolutely must drive the Colonial Parkway from Yorktown.

This is a great condo in Wintergreen:

http://www.vrbo.com/344744
Close to everything on top of the mountain and friendly owners.
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 02:06 AM

The museum at Jamestown Settlement is excellent , the reconstruction less so.

You are getting a lot more advice than you are going to have time for if you only have five nights:

Day 1 fly in. Surf school in Va Beach
Day 2 Jamestown and drive to Wintergreen
Day 3 Wintergreen
Day 4 Wintergreen
Day 5 drive to Richmond (stop at Monticello?) spend night at Richmond Airport
Fly home
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the tips. I know absolutely nothing about the area, so I'm at your mercy!
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:33 PM

It may be too late to help but for a less touristy beach there is also State Landing National Park in Va Beach. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...-landing.shtml
I don't know if you can take surfing lessons but it's the most beautiful beach! I was there last weeend.
No parts of the Historic Triangle are tourist traps (VA Beach on the other hand....). My pick is Williamsburg though for the biggest bang for your buck.
I highly recommend Busch Gardens.