fun or funky restaurants in Chicago?

Apr 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

fun or funky restaurants in Chicago?

Hi! headed to chicago for a weekend away w/hubby in late april. we are in our 30s, looking for GREAT food and atmosphere for places for breakfast, lunch and dinner. love Ann Sather's and won't miss that...anything else. Love ethnic, sushi, not steakhouse people, but also love pizza, Italian, Thai, trendy, funky, fun places. Doesn't need to be over-the-top, expensive or fancy, but will do so if suggested. Want to avoid touristy places and any chains, prefer local recommendations much more. Staying at marriott mag. mile b/c of free stay w/points, but willing to travel to Lin. Pk, Bucktown, Boystown, by cab anywhere, etc. Haven't been to Chicago since we were in our 20s Thanks for all the help in advance!
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Some of my favorite restaurants, from a lifelong Chicagoan: M Henry, open only for breakfast and lunch, on Clark Street in Andersonville, with an interesting contemporary menu and a cozy vibe; Andie's, fresh-tasting Mediterranean food, also in Andersonville, a cozy neighborhood favorite; Deleece, on Southport a few blocks north of Wrigley Field, casual contemporary; Mon Ami Gabi, a French bistro in the Belden Stratford opposite the Lincoln Park Zoo; Coco Pazzo Cafe, on Erie between Saint Clair and Ontario; Adobo Grill, locations in Old Town and Wicker Park, don't miss the guacamole prepared tableside; Erwin's, American food on North Halsted.
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks, marilyn. is mon ami gabi same as one in vegas? food is awful there.

any thoughts on:

japonaise
trattoria #10
Bin 36
cafe iberico
mertiage cafe
lou malnati's pizza - or any favorite pizza in mag mile area?

boston blackie's for burger for lunch?

MK?
we try to avoid too trendy, as most of the time they are OVERRATED and overpriced

is ann sather's still good?

any special places for brunch? jazz brunch?

hate to ask hotel concierge's for rec'd b/c the local restaurants pay them to make recommendations.

the handmade guac sounds amazing!
hubby and i are getting away before baby comes so we want to go to some really cool places.
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Bin 36 - Nice place, good food and on sunday nights, inexpensive wine flights. I would recommend it.
cafe iberico - a lot of fun with friends, very popular on the weekends and they don't take reservations.
mertiage cafe - I've only had dessert ad wine there, but I would recommend this place as well.
lou malnati's pizza - Good deep dish if that is what you are looking for
Adobo Grill -- probably my favorite margarita at at an upscale restaurant, the food is pretty good too.

I would also recommend

Mas
Red Light
Avec
Green Zebra
Bob San Sushi or Mira Sushi (Mira is more expensive)

For Brunch I would recommend
Orange
Bongo Room (the wait on the weekend is obscene but the pancakes are good)

Apr 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Probably, as Mon Ami Gabi is a Lettuce Entertain You restaurant. I like the food--typical bistro fare--and the building and neighborhood are nice.

I have heard good things about all the places you mention, have only personally been to Trattoria #10 and Bin 36--would say both are OK, but do not have a neighborhood feel, if that is what you are after.

Cannot do MK since being very sick after an ahi tuna salad there--probably could happen anywhere, but still...Ann Sather's (which location?) is OK, especially the cinnamon rolls, but not a particular favorite of mine.

Blackie's hamburgers are great. Alas, I don't really like pizza, and prefer the thin chewy crust at a neighborhhod place like Spacca Napoli to deep dish if I WERE having it.

Brunch served at almost all these places.
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Zacky, I myself only go to Ann Sathers for the cinnamon rolls. There are several locations around the north side now.

The places I'd recommend for breakfast/brunch are these:

Flo (on W. Chicago)

Yolk (on S. Michigan) - especially convenient if you are going to the Museum Campus

Agree with Deleece - and did you know that they have a dinner special during the weekdays? Look at their website.

Orange on Harrison. The original location is on Belmont - 1/2 block from Ann Sathers.

Further away: Tre Kronor (on W. Foster) and Chief O'Neill's has a pretty good Sunday brunch as well, nice outside when the weather is good.

Lunch (and/or dinner):

Since there are so many places available, I guess it really depends on what you'll be doing before or after...

If you are at the Art Institute, lunch at the garden cafe is very nice (if it's open when you are here)

By Millennium Park, Aria (international fusion comfort food) - has a sushi bar as well. Either lunch or dinner, although it's fairly close to the Loop Theatre District, if you are taking in a show there.

For a lunch away from it all but definitely worth the trip: Take a cab for great food - and you'll meet a lot of people there from all walks of life -to Hot Doug's on N. California!!! On Fridays and Saturdays, the duck-fat fries are available. Long lines (and getting longer all the time) but they go fairly fast and Doug will help you with your choice. Hint: Go for the specialty or game sausages of the week specials. Take a look at his website to get an idea of the offerings - has his own theme song as well now.

Andy's Jazz Club (Hubbard near State) has the "Jazz at Noon" luncheon - on Fridays only now. Free cover for the entertainment.

Dinner at A La Turka on N. Lincoln - with bellydancers and hookahs

For leisurely European-style dining - dinner at Rick's Cafe (on N. Sheridan - Red Line station is 1/2 block away) - BYOB.

For Italian: A Tavola (in the Ukranian Village) or LaTavernetta (in Lakeview on N. Broadway, just south of Briar)

If you are going to the Green Mill, Marigold Indian Restaurant. Hot place now, make sure you have reservations.

For coffee: Intelligentsia. The original coffeehouse is on N. Broadway, just south of Belmont but there are now outposts on Randolph between the Chicago Cultural Center and Macy's and in the Monadnock Building on W. Jackson. If you go to the one on Broadway, the Coffee and Tea Exchange is only a couple of blocks north of it and has a very good selection as well.

Great atmosphere, great food: North Pond in Lincoln Park - has brunch (on Sundays) and dinner at this time of year. Just wonderful (but pricier).

If the sky's the limit for the food, you might consider Alinea (doubtful if you could get a reservation at this late date) - or if you wanted really experimental cuisine, Moto. Mention about the last: some love it, some hate it.
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

wow! thank you! so much to chose from. i only wish we had more time!
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:36 PM

I love Trattoria 10 personally. For something different - take a cab to Chicago Oven Grinder and Pizza. Its a special place - pizza is made in a crock like bowl with all the ingredients in the bowl which is then covered by the dough. after baking, its inverted and incredible! its sold by the pound so you know its filling! Riva on Navy Pier is also great for seafood and a view. For more authentic Italian, take a cab to Little Italy on Taylor Street - Rosebud, Tuscany, Etc. Chez Joel is also great french bistro in the same neighborhood.
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

trattoria 10 for dinner or lunch? trying to narrow donw our meal plans. thanks!
Apr 11th, 2007, 06:24 AM

chicago is such a great city.
we had brunch at north pond, (make sure you have a table in the room w/the fireplace). i couldn't hardly wait to get there for the weeks before the trip, and it didn't dissapoint. had a really outrageous, awesome meal at "topolabampo", it's rick bayliss' resterant, who does "frontera salsa" you may have seen in the supermarket. frontera grill, (the more casual mexican place) is attached to it. he owns both, and was head chef (actually there the night we were) at topolabampo.
and i'm a major fan of pizza all around, and lou malinado's was great fun. not to be missed.
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM
JJ5

I've done Trattoria #10 for lunch and loved it. It's quiet and I love that away from the pack feel. I don't tend to like the trendy at all. Much ado about nothing to me 3/4ths of the time.

There are so many excellent Chicago restaurants that you will get many opposing views. www.metromix.com may help.

Apr 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM

We discussed this about four months ago. I brought up my favorite restaurant - in the world. Alinea is definitely over the top but also a lifetime experience. You'll taste food that is prepared, presented and served perfectly. It is an experience, literally. We were there for five hours. The time went by quickly with never a lag. If you truly want to experience a world class restaurant, don't hesitate in making a reservation at Alinea.
Apr 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Don't forget to visit www.metromix.com for restaurant reviews! For breakfast, I definitely second M. Henry, Orange, and Bongo Room. Keep in mind that the Ann Sather's in Andersonville is currently closed, in case you were planning to visit that one.
Apr 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM

I highly recommend Moto as it is less expensibe than Alinea and easier to get into, although not cheap. Other fun trendy restaurants in the west Loop (hot dining area) are Blackbird and Avec, both on west Randolph. For a great view go either for drinks or brunch in the Hancock building. Where else can you eat and drink on the 95th floor. Make sure you pick a day with nice weather. Chinatown also has great restaurants as does Greek town, both not too far from your hotel, and easy cab ride or via public transportation. Bice on west Ontario has great Northern Italian food. For traditional deep dish Chicago style pizza you can't go wrong with either Pizzeria Uno or Due. Metromix.com, a site run by the Chicago Tribune has great restaurant lisitngs that you can search by location, price range, cuisine type and also has reviews and suggestions for dining specials. Many restaurants have dinner specials during the week that are listed on the site. Also don't miss Frontera Grill or Topolobompo for oustanding Mexian food, and at cheaper prices look for the food court in Macy's on the 7th floor at State and Randolph Street.
Apr 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM

What about Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba? When I first went there no one knew what tapas was -- is the place as good and as popular as it used to be?

We had a lunch at Blackbird that was sensational.
Apr 11th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Cafe Ba-Ba-Reba....LOVE the bacon wrapped dates!
Apr 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Someone suggested Italian restaurants on Taylor Street. If you are going to that area, I would suggest Tufano's or another name for it is Vernon Park Tap. It is on Vernon Park a couple blocks north of Taylor Street. It is the old Italian restaurant with the menu chalk on a board. I love their salad so much that I can go there and just have salad and wonderful hot bread. The family style salad has meats, cheeses, artichokes, besides the vegetables.
Apr 12th, 2007, 06:48 AM

So many great suggestions. I'd like to offer one more...Carnival. Fun Latin atmosphere with great food. It's located on Fulton Market, just west of the River North area.
Apr 12th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba is still very popular (especially because it's in Lincoln Park), but I think Cafe Iberico has the most authentic tapas... and it's just as popular (if not more so, since they don't take reservations). I actually feel like I'm in Spain when I go there; there are always lots of Spanish-speaking patrons.
Apr 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I couldn't agree more about Mon Ami Gabi being awful. The one in Vegas was terrible and just ate at Oak Brook one. It's easy to cross it off our short list. Original Boston Blackies on Grand is not to be missed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO