Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Full-service on/off I-95? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/full-service-on-off-i-95-a-295654/)

persimmondeb Jan 31st, 2008 09:33 AM

Full-service on/off I-95?

Can anyone recommend gas stations with full-service anywhere on the I-95 corridor? Particularily in Virginia, Georgia, and the Carolinas. Sometimes rest stops have it, and sometimes they don't.
My mother and I are driving south next Wednesday and Thursday, and do not want to pump gas! Even 4 or 5 miles off the road is fine, and she doesn't care what kind of premium she has to pay. I am going to have my husband show me how, just in case, and my mother has done it, but she hates to, and is at a stage in life where it is not fun!

GoTravel Jan 31st, 2008 09:38 AM

This is a great website

http://www.i95exitguide.com/index.php

persimmondeb Jan 31st, 2008 09:48 AM

Thank you, Gotravel, that's a great site. They don't seem to actually answer the full-service question (probably because it is a little weird), but they seem to have absolutely everything else covered. Very helpful!

schlegal1 Jan 31st, 2008 10:02 AM

I know of none in Virginia. The only place here on the East Coast I have ever seen full service is New Jersey. But it's not like I drive between states all that much so maybe someone has beeter info. Good luck.

starrs Jan 31st, 2008 10:14 AM

I would guess that less than 1% of the stations are full service nowadays. I can only think of maybe three in my whole state - and they are all in very small towns.

I think it's time for a review lesson :-)

vjpblovesitaly Jan 31st, 2008 10:21 AM

"doesn't care what kind of premium she has to pay"

You could offer to fill someone else's tank for them if they pump for you.

persimmondeb Jan 31st, 2008 10:39 AM

That might be a little excessive, but she has been known to ask kind-looking strangers. I don't drive, which is why I don't know how to pump gas, and my mother lives in New Jersey, which is why she isn't used to it. Neither of us are normally either useless or terribly dainty.

vjpblovesitaly Jan 31st, 2008 10:43 AM

It is really easy. My mom was nervous about it after moving to FL from NJ. The pump automatically shuts off when it is full. Just remember to put the cap back on. My mom forgot once and my dad was pretty mad.

wliwl Jan 31st, 2008 10:43 AM

If you are going to take a long drive you're going to have to figure it out or you're going to run out of gas. Just read the instructions on the pump.

Hellion Jan 31st, 2008 11:33 AM

I don't mean this to sound rude, but I can't imagine how limiting it would be to rely on strangers or the rare full-service gas station. There's very little about a long road trip that's easier than pumping gas.

My impression has always been that the north is more likely to have full-service stations. I live in Virginia and NEVER see them. I advise you to take that gas-pumping lesson from your husband. And remember when you put the gas cap back on, turn it till it clicks two or three times.

cheryllj Jan 31st, 2008 01:24 PM

You are not going to find them in Georgia or the Carolinas, not in the stations that are just off the I-95 exits. I can't remember ever seeing one.

If you drive on the interstate, you will have to learn how to pump gas or you will not make it very far. You can't always count on some "kindly" stranger to take pity on you. It will take you about two minutes to learn.

nytraveler Jan 31st, 2008 03:20 PM

Full service is the law in New Jersey. And a lot of places in New York offer it for a premium.

Most other places don't seem to have it. I don;t know why. If I'm all dressed to go to a client meeting I would no more consider pumping gas than I would changing a tire. It used to be called a "service" station - now they're all mini-marts.

gail Jan 31st, 2008 04:41 PM

My 80 year old mother who has had a hip replaced can and will pump gas - it is not that tough.