Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ft Myers or Marco Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ft-myers-or-marco-island-313838/)

spetro May 5th, 2003 12:25 PM

Ft Myers or Marco Island

I have 3days/2nights to kill in one of these cities...which should I choose. I will not be golfing.

rdsmorton May 5th, 2003 12:34 PM

Depends on what you want. M.Island is very quiet and laid back,Marriott had entertainment/good resturants there and a few close. Ft. Myers vs beach. Beach-one end,busy with shops/people, other down by HolidayInn, quiet walking beach, good resturants-MuckyDuck,or Charlie Browns, several seafood near by or with in 5 mi.

spetro May 5th, 2003 12:39 PM

Thanks for your response...I was going to stay at the Marriot Marco Island...but, am thinking of staying at the Pink Shell in Ft Myers...Is that on the busy end or quiet end...I have 3 teenagers who will want plenty of activity.

LilMsFoodie May 5th, 2003 01:30 PM

Pink Shell is perfect for you. Near Times Square and all the sunset celebrations and lots of teens. Watch out for underage drinking at the Lani Kai, a notorious divey hotel on Fort Myers Beach. Have fun.

LilMsFoodie May 5th, 2003 01:58 PM

Addendum: stuck in traffic on Ft. Myers Beach on the way to a client I noticed that the Mucky Duck had closed. Lots of other places to eat, nothing spectacular but many nice beachy places. I like the Gulfshore which is my kind of dive. LMF

salgal May 5th, 2003 07:13 PM

I think that Marco Island may not be the place for you since you have kids. It is very quiet and not a lot to do there.

spetro May 6th, 2003 07:28 AM

Thank you everyone who has responded. This is a great format. I have decided to stay at the Pink Shell. I think with the kids its the best bet.

Thanks again!

catch9 Oct 1st, 2003 08:25 PM

I will be spending 3 weeks in November in Fort Myers. Please offer best advice for hotels to avoid. I have a limited budget but don't want to stay in a dump. Considering the Casa Playa, Ramada Beachfront, or Holiday Inn Riverwalk.
Thanks!

Patrick Oct 2nd, 2003 12:19 PM

Be aware that Ft. Myers Beach is an entire separate city from Ft. Myers, which is about 15 miles away.
And yes, I think your teenagers would be way happier on Ft. Myers Beach than on Marco.

mrt Oct 2nd, 2003 12:35 PM

Fort Meyers sucks. Captiva and Sanible Island near Ft. Meyers is quite nice. Don't confuse the two. The Marco Island Mariott is an hour south and is more active than your choice but I don't think marco Island is that great. If forced to choose between Ft. meyers and MI or would select MI. Check out Naples proper also.

Patrick Oct 2nd, 2003 12:55 PM

mrt, I'd have to agree partly with you. I'd even choose Marco Island over Ft. Myers Beach in a minute -- for myself. But the key to this question was that spetro has three teenagers. I'll stand by my opinion that in this case Ft. Myers Beach will be much better for them than Marco Island.

EAhola Oct 13th, 2003 06:05 PM

Hi everyone,

thought I'd pop a ? in here since this tread is busy and I'm having a hard time with hotels.

Myself, hubby, and 3 children ages 11,9, and 6 will be flying into Ft. Myers Feb 28 for 6 nights.

I have a car rental, but no hotels yet. I can't figure out what to do. I was thinking of staying in Ft. Myers Beach but can't figure out a hotel that's not $$$$.

Then I was thinking of staying 2-3 nights at one place and 2-3 nights someplace else.

any ideas PLEASE.

Judyrem Oct 14th, 2003 04:20 AM

Eloha: You can always stay at a Hampton Inn or Country Inn & Suites a few miles away for a few nights, than something on the Beach for later. Did you try Lover's Key Resort? It is at the south end of Ft. Myers beach, large sudio with kitchenettes. Alos Estero beach resort is a condo complex with rentals. FYI, Judy