Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ft. Lauderdale Restaurant Recommendation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched the archives for info on Ft. Lauderdale restaurants, but there only three posts since 2007. We're going to be there pre-cruise later this month and would appreciate any recommendations you may have for a good moderately priced restaurant or two. Quality of the food is more important than ambience. No Asian this time, please. We'll be there on a Saturday night and are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 (great rate through Travelzoo) without a car. Thanks a bunch!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hyatt Pier 66 isn't really in Ft Lauderdale. So you may have to take a taxi. No public transportation.

On Las Olas you have in no particular order:
Timpano - Italian - haven't been there is several years
Jackson Steak House - upscale steak house - very good - relatively expensive
Cheesecake Factory - a general menu favorite - chain
Big City Tavern - always crowded, noisy but they take reservations - like to go there
Cafe de Pris - nice French restaurant - good - a bit expensive
La Bonne Crepe - one of my favorites - I have a French onion soup and dessert crepe - Mmmmmmm
Mangos - above a diner but similar menu

There are several others but I can't remember the names.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:35 AM

check out Chowhound with the same question and get many replies. I don't think Fodors is that good anymore.

There are probably four or five discussions a day regarding Fort Lauderdale restaurants.

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/10
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Pier 66 has a water taxi stop that will take you to the main entertainment areas. Lots of restaurants on Las Olas. Some excellent ones.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Oh wow! Thanks for the Chowhound suggestion. Never crossed my mind. Could you tell me your faves on Las Olas?

Myer, where in fact is Hyatt Pier 66? Address is:

2301 SE 17th St.
Ft. Lauderdale 33316

Map shows it just south of the causeway.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:47 AM

There are certainly lots of choices in this area. Here's some of our favs in no particular order:

Bonefish Grill - always great fresh seafood and terrific service

Johnny V's on Las Olas - we have eaten here two years in a row Christmas week and it is consistently excellent

Greek Islands Taverna - their lemon potatoes are my favorites

15th Street Fisheries - now this place had a problem. A few years ago it was good and then for the last two years just terrible. However, I am seeing reviews on "opentable.com" that are pretty good. Maybe someone with a recent experience can post here about this spot. I love the view here and seeing all of the tarpon is fun too. It is very close to your hotel.

Bravo - this spot is close to the causeway as well and we always have a good meal here.

For breakfast, just down the street is Lester's - always enjoy it here for morning coffee and something good!

You can see reviews on Chowhound, and there are also reviews for each restaurant listed on opentable.com.

Good luck!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Betsy,

The restaurant area of las Olas is just east of US 1 (Federal Highway).

It's about 3 miles to the Hyatt. It's obviously on the 17th street causeway. you have to go west to Federal Higway and north (about 20 blocks) to Las Olas.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM

The last time we were at 15th Street Fisheries the service was terrible and the place smelled damp and musty. I have to admit that it's been over a year that we've been there but I would really hesitate to go there again. There is always that chance that they have improved since it's been a while.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM

If you like mexican food you can go to the local favorites
Carlos & Pepes, 1302 SE 17th Street, a few blocks from the HYatt.

Or since atmosphere is not your goal the Art Institute culinary school is also a few blocks from the Hyatt, they have a restaurant there where the students cook for you. I haven't been but have heard the food is very good. I think it would be something very different. A full meal for an afforable price, I will try find a web site for you and post later!

Disclaimer: Although affiliated with http://www.limoway.com in Fort Lauderdale & Miami, Fl my opinions are unbiased and based only on my travel experience and the location I live - South Florida
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM

The restaurant I mentioned at the Culinary School is called Chef's Palette, see link below
http://www.artinstitutes.edu/fortlau...fsPalette.aspx

They have the lunch and dinner menu listed as well as phone number, you may need to make a reservation, its very close to your hotel, it looks like it could be a very interesting experience, I may check it out myself sometime next week, prices are okay too. Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: Although affiliated with http://www.limoway.com in Fort Lauderdale & Miami, Fl my opinions are unbiased and based only on my travel experience and the location I live - South Florida
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your suggestions, positive and negative. Although we haven't settled on a restaurant yet, we would've picked the culinary school in a second; however it's not open on Saturday for lunch or dinner which, unfortunately, would be our only opportunity to go there,

Any problems with taking the Sun Trolley around to Las Olas?
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM

I have never taken the sun trolley so can't comment on the frequency of it passing by the Hyatt.

That's a shame the day you will be in Fort Lauderdale is one the days the culinary school is closed!