Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ft Lauderdale family-friendly seafood restaurants

Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're staying at Ft Lauderdale Marriott Beach Place Tower now and wonder if there's any decent seafood restaurants around this area, preferably walking distance since we have a 3 yr old toddler?!

We've been to Charlie's Crab in West Palm Beach few years ago and loved it, but we're not sure if taking our son is suitable. Any suggestion?

Thank you.
David
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM

Welcome to Ft Lauderdale.

Well a 3 year old shouldn't be a bother at any restaurant in Ft Lauderdale, except for the expensive ones. So I would stay away from the Ruth Chris' and those jacket only places. As for a kids menu, ask the host or hostess before you sit down if they have one. Even if they don't they should still be able to accommodate something. Like chicken fingers or pasta with butter.

Surf on over to http://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/dining/

This is the local news paper and they have great dining reviews, as well as searchable listings.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM

I had fried aligator and garlic crab at the Rustic Inn last week.

The food was wonderful and I think that between being on the canal and folks using the wooden mallets, a 3 year old would get a big kick out of the place.

http://www.rusticinn.com/

Keith
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM

Although it isn't necessarily just seafood, check out the Oasis Cafe on A1A. It is a fun spot across from the street from the beach. They have picnic like tables that swing. (They are covered in case of rain.)

Another great place with kids is Jaxson's for an icecream sundae. (obviously not seafood but fun!)http://www.jaxsonsicecream.com/

My parents live near Ft.Laud and I love these two places.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions!
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:19 AM

While not specializing in seafood, there are restaurants on the intracoastal at Oakland Park Blvd--Shooters and Taverna Opa come to mind--that have seafood, certainly great water/boat views and you can reach them by the water taxi which would be a really fun way to go for a 3 year old. Of the two Taverna Opa has better food and better seafood, but they're not open for lunch and you'd be best off going fairly early for dinner to assure yourself of a waterview. (You'll need to watch the tot closely as there is only a rope "fence" by the water.

We were at the Ft. Lauderdale Charlie's crab (also on the intracoastal) for Easter brunch and it was filled with kids. You could probably take your toddler there for lunch and it is also accessible by water taxi and in the same area as the others, but more upscale/traditional.
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Hello:

It's not within walking distance, but, I would recommend Old Florida Seafood House on NE 26th Street.

Enjoy!