Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ft. Lauderdale - Beach with changing facilities (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ft-lauderdale-beach-with-changing-facilities-390542/)

JohnK Jan 22nd, 2004 12:33 PM

Ft. Lauderdale - Beach with changing facilities

Hi,
I am going to be in Ft. Lauderdale for a Saturday afternoon. I will then be headed to the airport. I'd like to take a dip in the ocean but won't have a hotel where I can shower and change. Is there a beach in Ft. Lauderdale that has public facilities that I can use? Thanks!

GoTravel Jan 22nd, 2004 01:07 PM

I've seen public facilities at almost every public beach because they are State Parks. I can't think of one in particular but they are nicely kept up and maintained.

JohnK Jan 23rd, 2004 02:53 PM

ttt

jd Jan 23rd, 2004 03:05 PM

If you head down 17th st.,at the end you have to bear left onto rte.1A. Take a left here, and on the right side you will see a parking lot for a public beach. This is the beach right beside the Yankee Clipper. There are bathroom facilities there,and there maybe inside showers-if not, they always have outdoor showers.

Heartburn3 Jan 24th, 2004 07:17 AM

JohnK, if you are driving (as opposed to taking a taxi), to find the beach area jd mentioned, it will be on the right after you reach the Yankee Clipper. The YC has a walkway over the US1, that is a good landmark, as the YC is easier to recognize if you are heading in the other direction. You'll have plenty of time to find the entrance (I think there is a fee for parking in this area, but it should be reasonable.) This is a very nice area of the beach and you can walk up and down to see the various hotels and sites. You'll enjoy this little excursion. Have fun!

JohnK Jan 24th, 2004 08:34 AM

Hi Again, thanks for your suggestions. I have come up with an idea that I think might work. There is a World Gym on N. Federal Hwy at 14th Ct. If I can walk from the beach along E. Sunrise Blvd. to N. Fed. Hwy I can use the gym's facilities for $10 and then just take a cab back to the airport from there. Does that sound workable? Thanks again to everyone for their responses.

GoTravel Jan 24th, 2004 10:34 AM

If my memory serves me correctly, N. Federal Highway is a long way from the beach and not convenient to walk. Busy highway.

Give this park a call. I know they have cabins so they should have shower facilities.

Hugh Taylor Birch State Recreation Area
3109 East Sunrise Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
(954) 564-4521

Heartburn3 Jan 24th, 2004 03:26 PM

JohnK, on a map the walk along Sunrise to N. Federal Hwy is only 1-2 miles, but you have to hike over the bridge of the intracoastal and I'd only do it if I had the time and energy. My brother does this type of walking, but he's in great shape and is tall (long stride...LOL) There are loads of motels along the beach area and if you don't want to spruce up in the restroom, you might get one real cheap and have a chance to relax, change, etc. You might be able to bid on the lowest * rating on Priceline (2.5??) for the beach in FLL and get a good rate for the Best Inn. Hey, what have you got to lose?? For a single day, they might accept a low price.

If you are a firefighter, you might be able to talk the FD across from the beach to let you take a shower there. It's a long shot, but thought I'd throw it in.

JohnK Jan 24th, 2004 06:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Heartburn3. Since I usually walk about 5 miles a day I think I'd enjoy the walk over to the gym just as long there's either a sidewalk or safe place on the side of the road to walk. I'll probably play it by ear and call a taxi if that looks like the best way to go. Thanks!

jd Jan 25th, 2004 12:35 PM

There are sidewalks from Sunrise to Federal Hwy.(Rte.1).

Heartburn3 Jan 25th, 2004 02:25 PM

It should be a nice walk up to Fed. Hwy. You'll have nice walkways and pass a drug store, convenience store (north side of the road) and a major mall, Galleria, on the south side of the road. The north side will probably be the easiest walk because you don't have all the mall traffic going in and out. The N. side also has a nice little park and lake a few blocks before you reach Fed Hwy. I think the gym will be on the left side of the road (even #'s on the right, odd #'s on the left.) Federal Hwy is a very busy roadway, so you'll probably want to get on the correct side of the road when you get to the intersection of Sunrise & Federal.

You should have the cab drop you off near Birch State Park so you'll be at the Sunrise Blvd area.

ENJOY YOUR AFTERNOON IN MY HOMETOWN!

JohnK Jan 25th, 2004 05:05 PM

Thank you Heartburn3, I really appreciate your help. I'm all set now! Thanks, JohnK