Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ft. Lauderdale and things to do (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ft-lauderdale-and-things-to-do-220640/)

Edward May 14th, 2002 06:01 PM

Ft. Lauderdale and things to do

We are spending 1 week over the Memorial Day holiday in Ft. Lauderdale(never been here) and looking for good restaurants and fun things to do. My fiance' and I are 30's (no kids) and like to scuba, roller blade, shop and eat at Irish Pubs+ site see, any suggestions?

lori Bittner May 16th, 2002 07:20 AM

We are spending a week also after Memorial Day. No one seems to respond any onfo on Ft. Lauderdale.??)We want to stay there 4 days then head on to the Gulf side. Not sure where, Naples, or Ft. Myers beach. I am wondering if the beaches are that nice in Ft. Lauderdale?

Will May 16th, 2002 09:34 AM

The beaches are great in Ft Lauderdale. Hollywood beach is nearby and good if you like the boardwalk kind of beach. Rollerblading and walking along the "broadwalk" is very popular and us locals do it often. It is REALLY the ocean, unlike the gulf coast. The cool breeze coming off the OCEAN will moderate temps and you wont feel hot. There is plenty to do there and the beach goes for 100 miles. There is good snorkelling in Boca Raton at Red Reef Park. Just put a mask and snorkel on and swim out 50 feet. No trip to Ft Lauderdale is complete without a trip into the City. Miami's Bayside downtown is good to visit as well as SouthBeach/Lincoln Rd Mall in the evening. South Beach in Miami is also very very wide and a nice beach to spend the day. Outlet shopping is good at Sawgrass Mills in suburban Sunrise, "the largest oulet mall in the country" and Florida's number 2 tourist attraction. Other places to shop and eat.... Mizner Park and Boca Town Center in Boca Raton...Cityplace and Clematis St Area in Downtown West Palm Beach...Aventura Mall in north Miami-Dade county...Las Olas Blvd and Riverfront in downtown Fort Lauderdale.. Coconut Grove (Streets of Mayfair and Cocowalk).. downtown and beachfront Delray Beach...Airboat/Everglades stuff area all over. Big Cypress Indian Res is in the middle of the glades off of I-75 between Ft Laud and Naples. Loxahatchee preserve has wooden walkways where you can walk around and see alligators and wildlife.

Lori Ann May 16th, 2002 09:53 AM

Thanks so much for all the info. Beings you are a local, what do you really think about places to stay there. I haven't made reservations. I think I will wait till I go to see what is available. I know Marriott Beach Towers is highly recommended, but it is somewhat more than I would like to pay. Beings you are local you probably do not get into the places that much. I was thinking of the Ramada in Hollywood beach, or Sheraton Yankee Clipper or LBTS-a private place, B & B. Yes the breeze off the ocean is probably more refreshing than the gulf side. Point well taken especially this time of the year when it begins to heat up somewhat.Thanks again,

Will May 16th, 2002 10:02 AM

Well, it depends what you are looking for. If you want to be able to leave the car and walk alot to shopping and restaurants then Fort Lauderdale beach's "the strip" is best. That is anywhere from Sunrise Blvd south past Las Olas. If you want a quiet, relaxing area with some laid back shops and a few places to eat then you would best be in L-B-T-S. Hollywood Beach nice, but not as clean and trendy as Fort Lauderdale. The storefronts and hotels face the beach with just a pedestrian walkway the whole length of the beach so you don't have to see cars and traffic like Ft Lauderdale beach. Check hotwire.com for hotels. We booked an oceanfront hotel during the Air and Sea show a few weeks ago on there and it was only $60. It turned out to be the Clarion Beach Resort. Don't pay alot for a room as this is the slow season. But book a room in advance because lots of southerners tend to drive down here for memorial weekend and you don't want have slim pickings. Good Luck.

Lori Bittner May 17th, 2002 04:52 AM

Again I thank you so much. I will be there the week of 3 June so I would not expect it to be so busy so I am hopeful of getting a rate for $60.00 on the beach as you did. I don't know about hotwire.com because they will not tell you the place prior to paying up front. I think I will take my chances and just walk in and find a place. My friend who just returned claims this worked better for her several weeks ago.(??)

JD3 May 17th, 2002 08:06 AM

Best hotels are Marriott Harbor Beach, Lago Mar, Hyatt pier 66, Marriott Beach Place towers. Cheaper hotels but good location are Sheraton Clipper, Sheraton Yankee Trader, Doubletree hotel, Best Western Oceanside,,Howard Johnsons, Bahia Cabana. While in Ft.Lauderdale get an all day pass for the water taxi or waterbus. It will take you to different stops where you can eat and shop.Try Shooters for eating outside by the canal, and Riverwalk in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, which has shops and restaurants. Also get of at Las olas Blvd. for a nice walk with good restarants and shops.

sammy May 17th, 2002 08:13 AM

Suggestion - if you really want to have fun and rock and roll, try going to the bars near the River Front - the Voodoo Rocks. It is the bomb!!!!!!! :} :}<BR><BR>Yep, school is out for me.

Al May 23rd, 2002 04:08 PM

Excellent Irish Pub is Sally O'Brien's check out their web site for location, right on A1A. Fantastic nightly entertainment, house band.<BR><BR>Get an all day pass for the WaterTaxi. Runs on the intercoastal and stops at various bars. Hop on and off as you wish. Great fun, grab a drink when you leave the bar to take on the ride.