Ft.Lauderdale after Hurricanes

Sep 26th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster
Ft.Lauderdale after Hurricanes

Hi, I am going to Ft. Lauderdale Oct.1-6 for vacation and worried about the weather. Has there been significant damage to Ft. Lauderdale area? We are staying on the beach near A1A and Sunrise. Also, what is there to do? I didn't expect to be staying so long and need more on my itinerary. So far I am doing Sawgrass Mills, Las Olas and Riverwalk, South Beach in evening, but what else? Thank you for any input.
Sep 26th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Went to Ft.Lauderdale last year and we had a great time. We went in November. Perfect weather. Went to Sawgrass Mills mall. Nice mall very large. Hung out on Las Olas Blvd. Shops, dining, etc.. We ate at Cheesecake factory and really enjoyed it. Also did Rivercruise tour- can't remember the name? Bonnie, or something. Excellent tour. We stayed at Marriott Harbor Beach resort. Very nice hotel located right on the beach. Hopefully Jeanne didn't create too much damage in Ft.Lauderdale.

Heartburn (another fodorite) lives in Ft.Lauderdale and she can give you excellent advice. Hopefully she'll read your post. She may of lost power due to the hurricane. Hope everyone is ok in Florida!
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:42 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. May go in next month. Wonder what is the damage in Ft. Lauderdale?
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:43 AM
Try the Sun Sentinel, FLL daily paper..also online. Going this week to check on our new townhouse (clevflor it is very near where you will be on Bayview), and will let you know what's what.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Heartburn to the rescue!

The day following Hurricane Jeanne, I drove to A1A just north of Sunrise Blvd. Stopped for a while and watched the people playing on the beach and surfers in the ocean. No visible damage. However, the tide was still rather high, so didn't see how the beach looked under all that water.

There wasn't much sand on the roadways. Only saw a little just north of Sunrise, where the ocean is closer to the roadway.

There is some construction on A1A in the area of Bahia Mar and points south. A real mess when heading north from S.E. 17th Street (down to one lane in several areas.) Just be patient and careful when driving in this area. Looks as though they are doing some underground infrastructure improvements. I would assume this construction will be completed by the time the International Boat Show (last weekend of October) since they have working in this area for several months. Just hope the hurricanes haven't put them too far behind schedule!

Thanks to everyone for their concern about south Florida. The ones who need your prayers are all the people and businesses in the central part of Florida, east and west coasts. The Panhandle had damage, too.

Sorry this post isn't in time for Clevflor, but maybe it will help others in making their vacation plans.

Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
HEartburn: so good to hear such positive reports. Maybe when we move over...we could meet for lunch?

Search this Thread