Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Frustrated w/ condo search in West Maui!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/frustrated-w-condo-search-in-west-maui-675978/)

MaiTaiMary Feb 2nd, 2007 06:31 AM

Frustrated w/ condo search in West Maui!!

I'm just having a heckuva time finding a condo in Maui. I thought the Puamana condos were for us, but it looks like the beach might not be swimable.

Any chance I can get some help here? Pretty please? :) I've searched all of the websites given, but just can't find what we need.

We're looking for:
~3 bedroom condo (or townhouse). We don't want a hotel.

~within walkable distance to a swimable beach!!

~preferable with a ocean view

~we'll pay up to $600/night

We really like the Kaanapali area and wanted to stay in West Maui.

We have 3 kids and 3 adults.

Any recommendations for a condo???????

The Puamana condos seemed to work perfectly, but we need a CLOSE swimable beach for the kids.

Thank you!!

sherrie Feb 2nd, 2007 06:55 AM

Have you checked out Tripadvisor.com? They have really good hotel / condo reviews that might help you in your search. VRBO.com is also another source for condo rentals. I'm sorry I can't help with specific condo recommendations in West Maui, other than to say we stayed at the Kaanapali Alii and loved it. Good luck.

MaiTaiMary Feb 2nd, 2007 07:43 AM

Thanks.
I've spent endless hours on vrbo.com.

I don't think Kaanapali Alii has 3 bedrooms (??)

Ag3046 Feb 2nd, 2007 07:45 AM

Napili Kai? Kapalua area?

trippinkpj Feb 2nd, 2007 07:48 AM

Did you check the Napili properties?

Lori Feb 2nd, 2007 07:48 AM

I am pretty sure Mahana has 3 bedroom units and everything there is oceanfront (not view, not partial, I mean ocean front). The beach in front is not good but just to the left it is fine.

ajcolorado Feb 2nd, 2007 07:51 AM

We were very happy with unit 220 at the Hale Kai - www.halekai.com.

The condo had a bedroom w/ king bed and a second bedroom with 2 twin beds on the main level. There is also a kitchen, bathroom, and living area on the main level. The loft had a double or queen bed with a bathroom. I don't remember for sure but the loft bedroom may have only had a shower - not a full bathtub. There was a balcony and, because it was a corner unit - beautiful views on both sides.

The condo had a super clean saltwater pool and you have use of the gas grill.

It is not on a beach - it has a little seawall. But it is immediately next to a park with a beach. We swam there.

The other condos we looked at were Kahana Sunset - www.kahanasunset.com.

likeswords Feb 2nd, 2007 09:25 AM

According to their web site, the Hale Kai does have three-bedroom condos. We stayed in a two-bedroom unit and loved it. We swam from the two beaches on either side of the property (the folks at the condo at one side were very friendly and supplied me, a novice swimmer, with noodle flotation thingies). Being right on the water was a treat, and the woman in charge was very pleasant and helpful.

MaureenB Feb 2nd, 2007 09:38 AM

It's been years, but the Napili Point and Napili Shores properties were nice back them. Napili Shores is on a good sandy beach, next door to Napili Point. And there's a beautiful little snorkeling cove at the south end of Napili Point. Are they an option?
:)>-

sherrie Feb 2nd, 2007 09:42 AM

No I don't think Kaanapali Alii has three BR's. I was thinking that with two bedrooms and sleeper sofa you could accommodate all of the family.

Stevemac Feb 2nd, 2007 10:26 AM

We have rented directly from an owner at the Kaanapali Alii that has finished the den into a third bedroom. You may wish to check this unit out, if they have availablility. We stayed a couple a years ago and have it rented for this summer. It is definitely in your price range.
http://www.aliivacationrentals.com/

sherrie Feb 2nd, 2007 11:37 AM

ttt for maitaimary. The 3BR at the Alii looks great. Hope that works out for you.

MauiKim Feb 4th, 2007 06:03 PM

Stevemac -- if you could provide any other information about the Alii rental, I would really appreciated it! My family would like to stay there in Oct., but are nervous about booking through a private owner. Did you have a good experience with getting your deposit back? Thanks!

Stevemac Feb 5th, 2007 11:33 AM

Kim, I responded to your seperate post. Had absolutely no issues with the payment or any other areas in the condo rental. Received deposit back promptly.

Steve