Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

From your personal experience what car is the best to rent in Hawaii and what rental agency would you recommend on three islands: Big Island, Molokai and Kauai?

Search

From your personal experience what car is the best to rent in Hawaii and what rental agency would you recommend on three islands: Big Island, Molokai and Kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Martha

We are going to spend 5 days on Big Island, 4 on Molokai and 5 on Kauai. We not only would like to get to a number of beaches on these islands for snorkeling and swimming but would like to do some hiking and discover some less known beaches for taking long walks.
What was your experience with a car rental on different islands?
What car would be the best, in your opinion?
What company did you use? What was your experience with this company?
What rates should we expect in the begining of December?

What cars are allowed/not allowed on Saddle Road on Big Island?
Any insider tips would you like to share?
Thank you for your help

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Postal

I have rented several cars several different times in Hawaii. I always stuck to the compact or midsize range. I have used all the major companies as well as Tropical, a local company, and never had any problems with any of the companies. I have driven all the cars on the Big Island on Saddle Road with no problem. Don't leave anything of any value in the car, especially the trunk, and you might even want to leave the car unlocked when you park it to avoid break-in damage. Don't park any where you see broken glass on the ground!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Nick

I have to vote for Hertz and a Mustang Convertible. A tad pricy, but worth it. Great service, good directions and they have some good coupons on the hertz.com website.

The Jeeps looked like a lot of fun..but I have been in Jeeps on the mainland. It is like riding in a pickup truck, especially in the back seat.

Happy trails.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Nick

I forgot to ask how many people are traveling. If you have more than two adults or two adults and more than three kids...get a Grand Marquis or a SUV. All the other stuff has next to no legroom. It can get really tough on backseat passengers during those hour long rises to great trails or beaches.

Don't miss Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island...beyond cool!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:16 PM
cindy

What I would strongly recommend AGAINST is Alamo, on the Big Island. They have very good rates but the service is terrible, and you have to watch them very carefully because they try to coerce you into buying insurance you don't need. We also saw people bringing back cars that were in bad shape. There was quite a thread about it on this site about a year ago.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:39 PM
jeepjeep

Jeep it on Kauai! Best way to take in the island sights, the smells....We did and it was awesome!!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:58 AM
deb

We enjoyed our Mustang convertible on Maui, except when going all the way around on the road to Hana. The back stretch is rough and another, higher, vehicle would have been better.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Martha

Thank you all for some interesting ideas. Alamo has indeed some great rates but is this company really that bad?
There are going to be ony two of us.
Any more ideas?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:06 AM
sss

get a triple AAA card you get the best rates with this car. I like to be with a four wheel drive on Maui or Kaui. Thanks for the Hawaii post this Monday morning always the best way to start my day!!!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:22 AM
May

Someone mentioned about break-ins and such on rental cars. I've heard from different people different opinions on how it should be avoided or dealt with. e.g. Unlock car doors, lock car doors, leave windows open, don't leave windows open. Anyone has any personal experience on this and on which island were you at?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 03:50 PM
mj

Martha, we've always used Alamo because we have a Quicksilver card that allows us to pick up our car at the airport desk without having to get on a shuttle to off-airport site. We have always gotten good rates from Alamo, have been able to upgrade easily, and have had no problems with service- both on Kauai and Big Island. I think that all of the companies are pretty much the same- we go for convenience and price first.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:35 PM
p.

Used Alamo, no problems tho' frequently long lines at pick up. Have always treated the car as my own, locking etc but using common sense regarding visible items. Again no problems. Have a good trip.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:03 AM
kwl

We used Alamo on Maui and Kuaui last May. The lines were sooooooo long; over an hour wait in Maui and close to 1/2 hour in Kauai just standing in line. The reason we went with Alamo - to save some $. But then on the Big Island, we stuck with our tried and true Hertz with no rental problems; we didn't do Saddle Road, by the way. We didn't have any problems with any of the cars, just checking out. So, this year when we are returning to Maui, we have signed up for Alamo's quick rental service to avoid the lines. I think all the rental companies are the same, it's just the service you get at the begining. We loved the convertible we rented in Maui, but are getting a Jeep this year so that we can do some of the tough roads around the island. Try Orbitz to compare rates for each diff. size of car. You can make reservations and cancel later if you find better rates.

Enjoy you trip.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Karen

A way to avoid some of that long line when your plane arrives, one person to the luggage counter one person (in Kauai) out the main entrance and directly across the street to car rental agency. This is our plan of attack this summer! Airports on outer islands are so small do not be intimadated in parting like this.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Chris

Wow this is an easy question to answer! If it's just two of you go to smarterliving.com register as a member to get memeber only deals. When you click on the link to the Budget site it gives you a smarter living only rate of 19.95 for a Ford Ranger pickup. The Ford ranger is perfect for two since it is intermediate class comfort for two for less than the price of a subcompact in addition to having enough bed space for scuba gear luggage etc.

A real deal in my opinion I'll be renting one for my honeymoon in June

Chris

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Monx

Chris I hope you are kidding or you are from Texas. Pick-up truck on vacation in Hawaii? And what do you do with all these bags that you have to take from the airport to your hotel and on the way you need to buy some groceries because you are staying in a condo and you have to feed yourself? Well?
I think that a pick-up would a last thing anyone wants to drive on vacation in Hawaii.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:32 PM
shearl

Try looking at some travel bargain websites, like http://www.travelzoo.com. They list good deals on car rentals, among other things. I just booked a 4WD Explorer on the Big Island at $249/wk! There are three of us travelling so a convertible is not all that comfortable and definitely can't take the luggage. Also, it's a good idea to apply for the express card at whichever rental agency you go with. It's SUPPOSED to enable you to show your driver's license and go without the long line.......

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Homer

I recommend the convertible Yugo! They are sweet!!!!

Dah dah dah

Dah dah dah