Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

From SW Arizona to SE California-what to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 05:03 PM
John Rakos

I will be driving from Phoenix AZ to El Centro/Imperial CA. Is there anything interesting to see on the way?
Thanks to all...

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 06:34 AM
dave

There are alot of scenic drives in Arizona, but this is not one of them, in fact this is the worse drive in Arizona. And the view from the Calif. border to El Centro is even worse. My advice is to point the car West and drive the speed limit. You will see a cheesy dinosaur exhibit along the way (2 large fake dinosaurs at a tourist stop - if you have small kids they might like to see this....

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 08:03 AM
Gary

Well, it's not Big Sur, but it's not THAT bad. Actually, the "fake dinosaurs" are along the I-10 near Banning, which would be a rather inconvenient route from Phoenix to El Centro. If you take the shortest route (I-10 to US 95 to I-8) you'll pass through Yuma. Not much there but worth a rest stop. Just west of Yuma are some amazing sand dunes.
Just past the California border is the exit for Los Algondes, Mexico, where, at an outside stand on the main street, I had the best tacos I've ever eaten. There are some shops there, too--it's not nearly as touristy as places like Tijuana. It's easy to get to--either drive across or walk from the border parking lots.

There also is some amazing farmland in the Imperial Valley. Of course, once you've seen one farm, they tend to blend together.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 08:06 AM
Karen

The Phoenix to El Centro drive is hideous....the only redeeming thing I can think of to stop and see is the old prison in Yuma, otherwise, take Dave's advice and just beeline it there.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 03:54 AM
Cal

The place in Mexico that Gary is referring to is called Los Algodones. There is nothing there but a lot of Doctors, Dentists, Pharmacies, and a few bakeries that cater to the senior citizens from Yuma. There are also quite a few ladies of the night if that is of any interest.

My advice is to fill up the car with gas, yourselves with food. and drive about as fast as you can through the area. It rivals the I-5 drive through the San Joaquin valley for boredom.