Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   From Seattle to Rainier to Sea Tac (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/from-seattle-to-rainier-to-sea-tac-458833/)

margib Jul 11th, 2004 03:51 AM

From Seattle to Rainier to Sea Tac

My husband and I are visiting the Seattle area in a few weeks. We will be heading from Seattle to Rainier (via the North route) on a Friday afternoon and spending the night at Paradise. We are heading down and spending the next night at Sea-Tac. Should we make sure we are at Paradise in time for dinner (by 8:00 or so) or is there some place along the way you would recommend? I know we will want to take in some of the sights on the way up-how much time should we allow? On the way down, (the southern route) can you recommend for a late afternoon-evening stop? It doesn't have to be in the general vicinity of Sea-Tac-we will have a car and willing to go a bit out of our way if their is something we shouldn't miss. Thanks!!

PS We will be spending a few night in Seattle so we don't really want to head back into the city for our last night.

jimshep Jul 11th, 2004 09:05 AM

I would definitely make a reservation for dinner at Paradise Lodge, grabbing a bite any old place on the way up if I got hungry.

Clousie Jul 11th, 2004 09:09 AM

I second the thought about eating at Paradise Lodge. Why eat at any old place, when you can enjoy the atmosphere of the lodge and mountain?

margib Jul 11th, 2004 10:40 AM

Paradise doesn't take reservations-otherwise I would make them absolutely. They stop serving at 8:30. So, if we are leaving Seattle, how much time should we allow to get to Paradise-allowing for some sightseeing along the way. We will be at the park for most of the next day but will probably head down the southern route towards Sea-Tac. It would be oxymoronic to end up starvin' in Paradise!!

jimshep Jul 11th, 2004 01:51 PM

The drive to Paradise takes about 2 1/2 hours and there is not much to see on the way except views of Mt. Rainier unless you stop at Northwest Trek.

My information is that the dining room will seat you if you are there before 8:30 to get your name on a list. Since there is no place else to eat on the mountain, I think it is really unreasonable of the dining room not to accept reservations. I hope they don't have any other surprises in store for you.

According to Frommer the best place to eat dinner outside the park is Alexander's, a B&B in Ashford (360 569-2300).

margib Jul 11th, 2004 04:22 PM

Thanks-I thinnk we will just try to get to Paradise in time for a late dinner.

travelor Jul 17th, 2004 06:00 PM

We recently stayed at Paradise and ate in the Paradise Lodge. There is really no where to eat at Paradise except the Dinning Room and a small snack bar. I think the food at Paradise Inn is over-rated. IMO,they are trying to be like the Awhanee in Yosemite. I'd rather spend my money at Ray's Boat House in Seattle... I had the best fish of my life there.. excellent service, excellent food!!!
TEN Stars. Have fun!!