From San Francisco to Colorado by car

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:26 AM
Ruby

From San Francisco to Colorado by car

We're thinking of driving from San Francisco to Colorado (don't have any specific cities in mind yet) by car and are wondering how much time we should allow for driving ?
Would appreciate any suggestions from those who have done something similar. Eventhough, airplanes are supposed to be safer now than before, we are still not sure...

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:36 PM

Ruby, my daughter-in-law drove from Denver, CO to San Francisco, I remember she was in a hurry to drive in summer as in August the Rockies get covered with snow what makes driving nearly impossible. And she said her Ford died couple of times because of high altitude, good thing she was not alone, her parents followed in a van.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:37 PM
kam

Done this several times with college kids going back East. Allow two days. First day SF to SLC straight east on I80. Overnight in SLC. Next day south on I 15 to I 70 and that will take you to Denver---then you've got to decide exactly where in Colorado you're going. It's a pretty ride at the beginning until Nevada and then pretty again from SLC to Denver. Just blast through Nevada.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 01:01 PM
gbindenver

If you are worried about your car, rent one instead. I just rented one for a rt cross country trip for $145 a week for a Ford Tauras at Hertz. Second, bad weather driving is only a problem if there is bad weather. What I mean is that for the most part, bad weather in the Rockies may only last a day. After the storm passes, unless it is an unusually heavy storm, the roads are cleared quickly. So, if the weather is bad, stop for a day, and let the weather pass.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 03:55 PM
Valley

I'm originally from Sacramento, now living in Denver, and have made the trip back and forth to visit relatives several times.

I used I-80 during my last trip to Sac in July, and I swear, I will never drive it again. I need some sort of scenery and road variation as a time killer and diversion when I drive, and I-80 from Reno to Salt Lake is almost as bad as I-5 from Northern to Southern California. Straight road, bleak landscape, monotonous drive.

I traveled 50 a couple of years ago, and regretted not doing so again in July. Lovely scenery in all states, no traffic at all. You can still enjoy the prettiest part of the drive, 70 through Colorado.

Good luck!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 04:01 PM
kam

Got some books on tape and loud silly music for the I 80 part from the border of CA to SLC. I know we were speeding, but got there and sang along with the tape deck---yes, it's certainly boring, but it gets you over the desert. I personally wouldn't bother trying to find a more interesting route. Pick an interesting travel companion instead!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:40 PM
paul

I live in the Colorado Rockies and it has yet to snow in August since I have been here. Or September for that matter. Anyway we just made the drive round trip but to San Diego, not SF. You will be on I-70 for much of the way and its a really easy highway drive. We did the books on tape and it was great. Lots of beautiful scenary also.