Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   From San Diego to LA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/from-san-diego-to-la-241756/)

Susan Jul 21st, 2002 10:41 AM

From San Diego to LA

My family is going to San Diego on vacation. We were thinking about going to LA for one day. Someone said there was a city tour that showed you all the sights in a day. Does anyone know anything about that? Another friend said you could ride the train from S.D. to LA and that the ride was beautiful. Any info?

jbj Jul 21st, 2002 07:54 PM

Grayline Tours and Hollywood Siteseeing Tours are two that I have seen out and about. <BR><BR>If you can do it on a sat or

jbj Jul 21st, 2002 07:55 PM

Grayline Tours and Hollywood Siteseeing Tours are two that I have seen out and about. <BR><BR>If you can do it on a sat or sun when traffic is light in L.A, you could rent a car in San Diego and drive up and do some self guided tours

Joe Jul 22nd, 2002 06:21 AM

You simply cannot see "all the sites" of LA in one day. You could however spend a couple hours at Venice or any south bay beach, another couple hours along Hollywood Boulevard, maybe visit the Farmers Market and then grab a great dinner somewhere near Westwood or Santa Monica. From all that (if you could in one day), you would get a better feel of the city than one of those bus tours.

x Jul 22nd, 2002 06:28 AM

unless you have a lot of extra time, stay in san diego. it would be a very tiring day to drive up, back & sit in a bus all day. there is plenty to keep you busy in sd.

don Jul 22nd, 2002 06:31 AM

you say family? if you have younger kids, they may be bored silly. you also have to consider that after driving up there, if your bus gets caught in a traffic jam, you could waste an hour or more just creeping along the freeways. l.a. has some things to see but unless you want to spend a few days there, i'd skip it. san diego is much nicer.

Susan Jul 22nd, 2002 07:37 AM

My children are older - 17, 14, and 12 and my daughters - the older 2 - are the ones who want to see LA

Dan Jul 22nd, 2002 09:17 AM

Don't deny the kids a look at LA. It's a fun city.

x Jul 22nd, 2002 01:19 PM

susan...if there is a dad in the picture leave him and your son in san diego. it does sound like a "girl thing" and the 12 year old will be bored.

xx Jul 22nd, 2002 01:47 PM

Definitely go to Los Angeles and show the kids around. The 12 year old won't be bored. He'd be disappointed if he stayed behind and the girls come back and rave about what a great time they had.

JD3 Jul 24th, 2002 04:22 PM

We did a one day tour of L.A.with our 12 and 15 yr.old. They loved it.It took us to view the stars homes, the farmers market where we got out for lunch, Manns Chinese theatre , Griffins (?sp) obsevatory, and then Universal which I wouldn't recomend to include in he our as we didn't have enough time there.Also stoped t Planet Hollywood. We then drove to San Diego which took 2 hrs.Teens would ejoy this. Tour info. was at hotel.Can't remember the name.