Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   From NYC area to Finger Lakes & Niagara Falls (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/from-nyc-area-to-finger-lakes-and-niagara-falls-794131/)

ikehgl Jul 6th, 2009 02:11 PM

From NYC area to Finger Lakes & Niagara Falls

We are several adults with a 1 yr old infant and are planning to visit Niagara Falls in mid September. We have 4 full days and plan on vising Watkin Glen Falls in Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls and Thousand Islands.
We realize that the most we can stay in NF is one day. Can this trip be done in 4 days?
Any suggestions, ideas, comments ?
Thanks.

gb944 Jul 6th, 2009 02:36 PM

Yep, but lots of driving. Figure one full day of driving from NYC to get to NF, a day at NF, a half day driving to Watkins Glen, a half day at Watkins Glen, a half day driving to Thousand Islands, a half day there, and a full day returning to NYC.

A baby complicates things, but Benadryl is your friend.

ikehgl Jul 7th, 2009 08:37 PM

Shouldn't the order of visits be: Watkins Glens, NF, 1000 Is.
NYC ?

gb944 Jul 8th, 2009 03:52 AM

Sure, but it doesn't change the overall math.

garyt22 Jul 8th, 2009 04:17 AM

If you leave NYC in the morning early, you will have more than a half a day in Watkins Glen to visit the Park and hike the path... I would overnight there and spend part of the morning driving around the Finger Lakes... the drive to Niagara Falls is around 4 hours and you could make the drive to the Falls in the afternoon and check-in and spend the evening and a full day at the Falls.... I would stay another night and leave the following morning for Thousand Islands... you get the late afternoon and next morning for driving around and then its back to the City....

In a perfect world, save the Thousand Islands for a separate vacation and do Watkins Glen, Finger Lakes and Niagara Falls this trip... I think you will be rushed and miss much!!

KathyK Jul 8th, 2009 06:25 AM

I agree with gary. You'll be spending way too much time in the car. Skip the Thousand Islands. If you're driving all the way from NYC to Niagara Falls, I would spend two days in the area, with one of the days spent at Niagara on the Lake.

ikehgl Jul 10th, 2009 09:17 AM

I thank you all for responding.
It was helpful

Travellinmom Jul 22nd, 2009 11:41 AM

These comments are very helpful, as we are also planning a family trip in August from Bergen County, NJ, driving up to the Finger Lakes, and then to Niagara Falls -- and then home in 4 days. Our kids are 9 and 12. Any opinions on whether these two areas in one 4-day trip are too ambitious? We want to rent a motor boat that we can drive on the Finger Lakes...any suggestions, and suggestions on where to stay in both locales? Thanks!

schmerl Jul 22nd, 2009 03:25 PM

I just visited Niagra Falls this past weekend. Stay on the Canadian side of the falls. Also, make sure you see the falls at night. They light them up and the colors keep changing. It is quite beautiful.
Niagra on the Lake is a charming little town. You could even pack a picnic lunch and enjoy it by Lake Ontario.

nytraveler Jul 22nd, 2009 04:35 PM

Key is to remember that you all need passports to get in and out of Canada - which IMHO has the best of the Falls. With 2 kids I think that is trying to cover a lot in a little time - unless you can start really early and drive 7 hours with minimal stops.

(We've driven NYC to Toronto in one day - two drivers that like to drive - and back from Niagara Falls in one day. but - we spent 5 days in Toronto and the best part of 2 days in/around the Falls in between.)

garyt22 Jul 22nd, 2009 06:48 PM

Travelmom...My wife just stayed at a place in Watkins Glen called Catherine Cottages... just 4 small cabins... two full beds each with a bath and grill outside... along a creek...

I would drive up early and spend the PM and next AM in watkins glen... be sure to hike the state park trail... you could also take a boat trip along many of the lakes... after a late lunch take a slow drive along the lakes toward Niagara and check-in late on day two... view the lighted falls and hit the sack early for day 3... up early,breakfast and to the Cave of the Winds on the US Side... then Maid of the Mist, light lunch and head to Niagara on the Lake for Whirlpool Jetboats(There are many departure points, but the best is in the village of NOTL in the Marina)... anything else you add is a bonus, including a stroll through the village and an ice cream... finish day three back in Niagara Falls on Clifton Hill... late to bed and a full day four to add more stops and get home... have fun!

Travellinmom Aug 24th, 2009 07:16 PM

Wow - thank you all for your great responses...gary22 - what great details! We're going to follow your detailed itinerary (and rent a boat on the Finger Lakes too!). We're leaving on Thurs. August 27 - arriving home on Sept. 1. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks, all!