Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   From Newark to Manhattan (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/from-newark-to-manhattan-1098875/)

GipsyLady Apr 27th, 2016 04:59 PM

From Newark to Manhattan

Hi Fordonians,

I am flying into Newark because it was cheaper than going into JFK. And I was told there is a shuttle that takes you into Manhattan. I am staying in Chelsea. So I guess I will take the shuttle to Penn station? My hotel the Double Tree is only a few blocks from there so I think I should be able to walk. Has anyone taken this shuttle and route? I arrive at 5 pm so I can assume a lot of traffic going to Manhattan. How long does it usually take and is it easy to find the shuttle outside the airport?

JoyM Apr 27th, 2016 05:09 PM

I recall a train within the airport. Quick and efficient. I have also used a car service (Carmel) that worked well too.

doug_stallings Apr 28th, 2016 05:10 AM

If you are arriving in the middle of rush hour, it's insane to take a shuttle bus. That would double the time it would take you to get into the city. Take the train, which will still be very crowded but will not be subject to the same delays. Take the Airtrain to the EWR Airport Station and then transfer to NJ Transit into Penn Station, which is only a few stops, and then you can probably walk to your hotel if you don't have huge luggage (or you can take a taxi for $5 or $6).

nytraveler Apr 28th, 2016 05:15 AM

I wold never take a shuttle - they are generally not very reliable in NYC (how long would you have to wait to get one?).

And taking one at rush hour can be interminable - 1.5 to 2 hours would not be unknown if there is very heavy traffic or worse yet an oversize truck stuck in the tunnel.

Unless your luggage is so big that you cannot move it yourself I would do the Airtrain to NJTransit option. Be aware that the sidewalks in the vicinity of Penn Station can be mobbed so don;t be intimidated.

doug_stallings Apr 28th, 2016 05:56 AM

That's just not true about the shuttles, nytraveler. It's very true about SuperShuttle, but the regular airport buses are reliable and reasonably priced, and I still take them from time to time. The EWR Airport bus is quite reliable, but slow since it stops at every terminal and has to take surface roads into the city. I've done it many many times, and I'd probably do it again if I had a huge bag that I couldn't deal with on the train by myself (I'd never have such a bag ... but I'm using my imagination).

But during rush hour your point is well-taken. The additional time for a bus is just awful. Not because the shuttle is unreliable but because traffic is so bad into Manhattan.

GipsyLady Apr 28th, 2016 09:23 AM

I'm so glad I asked! The train does sound like a better alternative. Although a little intimadating as to make sure I transfer at the right stop��Are they good at announcing their stops and destinations? I wouldn't want to get lost. How long should the trip by train take into Penn station? Thanks so much!

doug_stallings Apr 28th, 2016 09:43 AM

Just make sure you get off at New York Penn Station not Newark Penn. But for both the Airtrain and the NJ Transit train, you're getting off at the last stop, so you can't really go wrong.

HappyTrvlr Apr 28th, 2016 09:44 AM

We always take the train to and from EWR. And we walk to W.Chelsea, easy. Much better than option than JFK.

auntie_raine Apr 28th, 2016 09:48 AM

I took the Airtrain and NJ Transit combination to Penn Station in March. It was very easy. Follow the signs to Airtrain in the airport, buy a ticket at a kiosk for the NJ Transit train (make sure you select NY Penn Station as your destination, not Newark Penn Station) and just get on the Airtrain. It will be a couple of stops at terminals and the car rental stop, then it will continue on to the EWR train station, where you will get off to go to the NJ Transit platform. The stops are announced and also listed on an electronic sign in the Airtrain car. It will take maybe 10 minutes to get to the train station.

Exit Airtrain and follow the signs to the NJ Transit train platform (you go down stairs or an escalator, I can't remember which). The NJ transit train will take about 20 minutes to get into NY Penn Station-the stops are announced (make sure you don't get off at Newark Penn Station). There are just three or so stops before getting into NY Penn Station. It is really very easy, and there are plenty of Airtrain personnel to ask if you're not sure where to go. It was so easy and not super crowded (but I took it after rush hour in the morning). You can ask your hotel which exit you should take out of Penn Station so you don't get turned around when you get out of the station (there are exits out to both Seventh and Eighth Avenues, I think). You can also check out several videos on Youtube that describe/show the process of buying tickets, etc.

aliced Apr 28th, 2016 12:00 PM

Doesnt the shuttle/train out of EWR go to the Secaucus light rail which is just one stop, via NJTransit, into NY Penn Station (about 5-10 minutes)? NJTransit does not stop in Newark Penn Station, not to worry. You need to get to Secaucus.

auntie_raine Apr 28th, 2016 12:28 PM

No, the Airtrain (what I think you are referring to as the shuttle/train) loops around the airport and also stops at the EWR train station-it doesn't go to Secaucus. You get off the Airtrain at the EWR train station and get on to a NJ Transit train. That NJ Transit train then has 3 stops, Newark Penn Station, Secaucus and NY Penn Station. So 2 "trains" - the Airtrain to the EWR train station, and then a NJ Transit train, from the EWR train station into NY Penn Station, with intermediary stops at Secaucus and Newark Penn Station. Here's a link to the NJ Transit website:

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...tConnectionsTo

doug_stallings Apr 29th, 2016 05:03 AM

@aliced You are completely wrong. Light rail does NOT go into Manhattan. Only NJ Transit goes into Manhattan. Moreover, the NJ Light Rail system doesn't even stop in Secaucus.

musicfan Apr 29th, 2016 06:18 AM

Although it's been over three years, thanks to helpful Fodor's posters, this Midwestern traveler (who gets everywhere by car) did the EWR to Penn Station train run described above quite easily--don't be intimidated.

GipsyLady Apr 29th, 2016 12:28 PM

Wow, I am so grateful and impressed by all your very informative help!!! Auntie Raine especially thank you for such detailed explanantion that I will print out and bring with me. This is great and I feel more comfortable now. Thank you all so much!

Cjar May 9th, 2016 08:45 PM

We have a flight landing in Newark at 6:30 in the morning and had planned to just take a taxi into Manhattan. We looked at a car service, buy we needed a van for 4 people and 4 pieces of luggage. I think we'll hit a.m. rush hour unfortunately. We're not the most familiar with trains, busses etc. and with two teenagers in tow, we were thinking to keep it simple. Is this a terrible idea?

nytraveler May 10th, 2016 03:26 AM

Well you could get caught up in the morning rush hour traffic - and it doesn;t seem likely that a cab can take you and all of your luggage if a car service requires a larger vehicle. How big is the luggage? Do you also have carry-ons?

With four people the cost of taking the train is less attractive but I would clarify the luggage issue (4 giant bags might well not fit in a cab trunk).

doug_stallings May 10th, 2016 04:54 AM

It's easier to take a car service, but it will take you more than twice as long as the train. There's usually a wait of at least 30 minutes just to get through the Lincoln Tunnel at that time of day. While the trains will be very crowded, they run mostly on schedule. Just FYI: with 4 people, you aren't saving much money by taking the train. You're doing it to save time.

(If you have normal size luggage---22 inch cases or less---you don't need a van.)

If you have giant suitcases, then bite the bullet and go for the van. Under no circumstances take a regular taxi. That will cost you more than $150 after the cost of the wait time for slow traffic.

Cjar May 10th, 2016 05:29 AM

NY and Doug- we only bring carry on. Dial 7 stated only three pieces of luggage for a 4 person sedan which I thought was weird and even started a thread about it awhile back. I believe I also checked a couple of others with the same guidelines. Any thoughts? It never occurred to me the taxi ride would skyrocket due to traffic.

I don't think we'll be up to negotiating trains with 2 cranky teenagers, my sleep deprived self ( taking a red eye from Phoenix ) train schedules, figuring our stop etc. It was our plan to give the subway system ,in all its beauty and challenges for non natives, a go when we've actually had some sleep and aren't carting luggage : )

Cjar May 10th, 2016 05:59 AM

Actually flight currently arrives at 6 am. I've had several update alerts since booking. Will we still run into commuter traffic at that time? I'm guessing yes, but hoping no.

Cjar May 10th, 2016 07:25 AM

Ok I've booked a minivan with Carmel. I guess that settles that. Still strange to me that four people with 1 piece of luggage each can't fit into a sedan in New York. We have sedan without a large trunk and manage to fit 4 pieces every time we travel. Maybe they've been burnt by the crazy packing people whose suitcase is something similar to what would have gone on a transatlantic steamer.