Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

From New Orleans to Orland--What beach to stop at along the way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2003, 06:08 AM
aburch78

My DH and I are going on a road trip from Houston, to New Orleans, to Orlando. We would like to spend 2 days between NOLA and Orland at the beach, somewhere in Fl. What beach is the best between those destinations? We want white sand and clear water. Also, if you know of anywhere to stay in the area, including campgrounds please let me know. Thanks.

Old May 29th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say anywhere between Destin and just east of Panama City Beach (Mexico Beach?). Lots of places to choose from depending on what you are looking for.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:46 AM
OliveOyl

aburch78, Please (!) click on your own name, underlined in your original post above. That will pull up the other 2 posts you have made on this same topic, one of which has 14 replies on it.

In short, Gulf Coast beaches are BEAUTIFUL!! The water is clear, the water is blue, the sand is white, there are dunes and sea oats, there are no rocks in the water, and you just couldn't ask for prettier without going to the Caribbean.

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:05 AM
aburch78

Ignore my other posts. I could not find them so I posted again. Thanks for the tip.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aburch78 - The Destin/Ft. Walton beach area is definitely where you want to stop. The beaches are fine, white sand and the water is beautiful. I think there is a campground in the Grayton Beach area. I don't know anything about it, because we're not campers, but that entire area can't be beat.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
OliveOyl -

We were in this area summer 2001 (the whole western coast) and I was amazed at the beauty of the beaches and water.

Are they always that way? I've thought about taking the kids again this summer but wasn't sure what we'd find.

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 04:08 AM
OliveOyl

We used to vacation in Destin every summer when we lived in Dallas and they were always beautiful. It's the clearest water I've ever seen outside of the Caribbean, and the prettiest color. I've seen posts here where people found seaweed washed up, but in all the years we went, we never saw it.

This area, Tampa Bay on down, is always gorgeous too--our water isn't quite as clear or blue as theirs though. We've only found seaweed on the beach once here...am sure it happens, but not very often.