Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   From N PA to Greenville SC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/from-n-pa-to-greenville-sc-1082255/)

Nazareth Dec 27th, 2015 04:52 AM

From N PA to Greenville SC

We're brand 'new' travelers and would like some suggestions as to where to stay and eat. We have about 30 hours to reach our final destination. We don't want to get into areas that are too congested if we can help it. We are traveling from Northern PA, down 81 to Lynchburg. From there going to Spartanburg SC and then we would like to visit Greenville and then toward the East side of South Carolina to Lake City.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give us.

Gretchen Dec 27th, 2015 05:29 AM

Not sure what you want. It is an easy 2 day drive of about 14 hours driving, I'd guess. For example, from Milford PA to Charlotte is an 11 hour drive we have done by taking the interstate across PA to I81 and down I77. To go on to Spartanburg/Greenville, you'd get I85 from Charlotte.
You mention 2 towns which would not necessarily be my choice--Greenville SC would be a good stop--not necessarily Spartanburg or Lynchburg.
If you wanted to make a little detour and come down I74 from I81 in NC you could visit Mt. Airy of Andy Griffith fame and then go to Winston Salem to visit Old Salem--and have some nice dining opportunities. It is a nice town to visit.
If you come on down I77 from I81 and go through Charlotte, there are good places to stay along the interstate and good restaurants available nearby. There is particularly a good BBQ place--you will want to eat some NC BBQ (different from SC BBQ, which you can also get while in the state, of course).

Nazareth Dec 27th, 2015 06:12 AM

Hi Gretchen. Thank you for your rapid reply:-)
We're going to Lynchburg because we are visiting Liberty Univ campus. In Spartanburg is Sherman Chiropractic College that we are going to check out and in Greenville, is a church we're hoping to attend on Sunday, if things work out for us. Then we're headed to a 'mission' field for a week.

Yeah, the places that I mentioned are necessary, but we were looking for some great food along the way and a memorable, safe time.

You had mentioned a few places that seem to be what we are looking for. We have been talking about good southern BBQ for years!!! Also, something nostalgic and 'low key'. I will look into those.

Thank you again.

Nazareth Dec 27th, 2015 06:22 AM

Gretchen, I was just looking at Mt Airy and Salem and those don't look out of our way at all. Would you have suggestions as to good/great BBQ? We CAN NOT make this trip without the BBQ!!

tomfuller Dec 27th, 2015 06:31 AM

What month? Lynchburg isn't really on I-81. In spring or summer you might want to go down a part of the Blue Ridge Parkway and then get off at Roanoke to continue down to I-77.
There are a couple nice restaurants in downtown Greenville within walking distance of the Joel Poinsett statue.

Nazareth Dec 27th, 2015 06:58 AM

January. It seems like 81 will be the quickest, get off Buena Vista exit (?) and then proceed to Lynchburg.

We can have lunch in Greenville on Sunday:-)

Gretchen Dec 27th, 2015 07:50 AM

If you do the little detour to MT Airy/WS, head for Lexington, NC--the BBQ capital of western NC BBQ. I think the best one is Lexington #2, but I'll check with son. There are really several there. You won't go wrong. Lexington is just off Route 52/I85 business as you come south toward Charlotte from Winston.

If you miss that, there is Mac's Speed Shop in in Charlotte that is an easy mile or so from I77. Further on down toward Spartanburg if you get off I85 on Route 74 toward Shelby there is an iconic BBQ restaurant about 10 miles--Bridges. Truly famous.

Nazareth Dec 27th, 2015 08:54 AM

thanks! will do!

any suggestions as where to stay?

Gretchen Dec 27th, 2015 11:19 AM

Depends on where you end up--I can't tell 'cause you are talking about Lynchburg, winston, etc. and doing stuff at these places.

Nazareth Dec 27th, 2015 03:01 PM

ok, well thank you. you have helped a bunch and we def appreciate it!

Birdie Dec 27th, 2015 03:59 PM

In Lynchburg, The Craddock Terry Hotel looks very interesting but it was full during a recent trip so I was unable to stay there. We ended up at the Courtyard which was fine.

We had a great breakfast at Market at Main.

Ackislander Dec 28th, 2015 05:11 AM

Your Lynchburg "detour" will work fine from the Buena Vista exit IF the weather is okay. The road goes up 'n' over the mountain quickly, and snow and/or ice are a possibility on a sort of corkscrew road. If the weather has been bad, get off on I-64 toward Charlottesville and take US 29 to Lynchburg. This works too if I-81 traffic is heavy or the weather is bad.

The Little Pig BBQ in Statesville, NC, is in town rather than at the I-77 to I-40 interchange but worth it for me.

Real BBQ of course is only sold east of Greensboro. You will get a chance to eat some on the way to the Outer Banks or around Goldsboro, if you should find yourself in that area. Allen and Sons, yards from the I-40 to NC 54 interchange marked "Chapel Hill" is unchanged since 1975. I hope.

Gretchen Dec 28th, 2015 06:04 AM

Real BBQ of course is only sold east of Greensboro

Fightin' words, yanno!! LOL

But Allen and Sons IS good. I don't think these folks are going to the OBX unless they have another thread.

Nazareth Dec 28th, 2015 04:14 PM

Hahaha, this was run to read! Thank you to everyone for all of your help.

The info about the bad weather and the "up and over the mtn quickly", regardless of the weather, is nothing that I'm interested in doing! Geesh, that kind of driving makes me nervous, so if I can avoid it, I will. Thank you! Will be doing the detour.