COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

From Long Island Islip into Manhattan

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 06:06 AM
kristi

From Long Island Islip into Manhattan

Southwest is running great fares from Chicago to Long Island Islip. How would I get from Long Island to Manhattan? Approximately how much would it cost and how long is the the ride?

Thanks for your help!

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 11:25 AM
Tom

You can take the Long Island Rail Road to New York Penn Station (34th St & 7th Ave). The ride is a little over an hour and it shouldn't cost you more than $10.
Here's the website:
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/lirr/html/ttn/islip.htm

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 08:09 AM
judy

I'm also flying into Islip and taking train to Manhattan. A little nervous about it as I've never been to city before.

My questions: 1) do I need to worry about rush hour on the way into the city Friday morning, or coming back out to Islip Monday morning? 2) should I be concerned about safety? I see the train goes through some interesting places. Do I have to transfer trains or anything?
THANKS.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 08:37 AM
AC

Hi Judy:
Depending on the time you are coming into the city on Friday 6AM-10AM you will be in rush hour. Don't worry though everyone is going to the same place as you. The trains are very safe. Monday morning back to Islip will have less people as you are the reverse of rush hour commuters. Changing trains I am not sure of, but if you do it is announced and the connection is made at the same platform or track. The ride will take about an hour. Check the website Tom gave, it has all the other updated information you'll need. Have a great trip and welcome to NYC!

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 06:43 PM
edie

look into taking the LIRR from ronkonkoma instead of islip. Ronkonkoma is a big station and you might get lucky and not have to change at jamaica, ( no one wants to change at jamaica, to a LIRR rider, changing at jamaica is one of the circles of hell!) or better yet, you might get an express train. if you are heading INTO nyc in the morning, keep in mind that the trains that depart between 6:30 am and 8:00 am will be packed to the point of standing room only with commuters. depending on your plans, try and get an earlier or later train, to allow room for you and your bags more comfortably. you DON'T want to stand on the LIRR all the way to the city.