COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

FROM LAS VEGAS TO GRAND CANYON

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Patricia Malaspina

FROM LAS VEGAS TO GRAND CANYON

I have been told that you can travel to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. We are planning a trip to Las Vegas in September and would like to see the Grand Canyon if possible. If anyone has taken this trip please let me know the details. Thank you for your assistance, it is appreciated. PM

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:34 PM
june

We did this trip in April. It took about 3-4 hours to get to the south rim. We stopped at Hoover Dam on the way. It's a boring but easy enough drive. Well worth it when you see that canyon!! Try to stay at one of the hotels in the park if you're planning an over night. Call ASAP to get reservations. I had to call back several time to get a room but being able to wake up in the morning and walk to the rim was unbelieveable.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:38 PM
natalie

Just did a tour of the Grand Canyon from LV last week. There are bus tours that run about $99. Tours depart approx. 6am and last about 12 hrs, takes 3 1/2 hrs or so to get there. I used a tour company called Adventure Photo Tours where you take SUV's (Navigators)backroading to the canyon through BLM land visiting Hoover Dam, South Rim top & bottom, and see Joshua Tree national park. The tour was very nice incl. lunch - was $195 but was worth it as it felt as though you had your own chauffeurred (sp) coach. Be careful if you choose to drive as the roads can be quite rocky and saw a few cars with flats. Have fun!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:30 AM
x

you can`t drive to the bottom of the South Rim..only the West Rim...only way to get to the bottom of the South and North Rim is hike of take a mule..moe like a 5 hour drive fromVegas to South Rim...put Grand Canyon in the search area of Fodors and you`ll get tons of info....

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:02 AM
natalie

No we did drive to the south rim.... We drove private roads through BLM ( Indian owned) land which is why you need SUV's. The roads are only rock trails. If you still don't believe me go to the company website www.adventurephototours.com. I should know, I did it.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:26 AM
x

if you return to the website you`ll see it is the West Rim....Diamond Bar Road...to the Indian reservation....you can also helicopterto the reservation and have a lunch....it`s the Havasupai Indians...I know the road is rough but other people have driven on it...

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Nicol

My brother and I just got back from Vegas in May. We drove to the North Rim in about 4 hours. The drive was pretty, but long. I think you can see Bryce(?) National Park in the distance, but I may have been mistaken. Before you enter the park it's like driving through a mini forest. Tall pine trees (even though some looked diseased), open meadows and wildlife. The ____ lodge is where the drive ends (can't remember the name). Looked like a very nice place to stay. They had an observation deck right on the edge with a amazing view. There are a few trails you can hike and take it all in. Talking to the other tourists we gathered the South rim is more touristy, or more things to do. We spent a couple of hours there and drove back. We were driving into Vegas as the sun was setting. Definitely worth the long day. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Patricia Malaspina

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about Las Vegas to Grand Canyon. Great information that I plan on using. Thanks again!! PM

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Cheryl

Just to set the record straight, the only road down to the bottom of the canyon is definitely in the west rim; however, it runs through the Hualapai (NOT Havasupai)Indian Reservation. Check out www.actiontours.com, and look at Grand Canyon West Rim/Colorado River tour. It's fantastic. They pick you up at your hotel in a large SUV, then you drive past Hoover Dam and thru Arizona to the reservation and down to the river. Then lunch, followed by a drive to the west rim. When we were there, we were the only people. Also, no one else booked the trip that day so we had our own private tour guide! It is amazing that you can be at the bottom of the Grand Canyon and view it from the top in one day (without having to hike it). The driver was extremely knowledgeable and made many stops along the way. I highly recommend this tour. They also have other tours (helicopter, plane, bus to the south rim, etc.) Have fun.