Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   From Editor William Travis (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/from-editor-william-travis-500714/)

travis6565 Feb 2nd, 2005 05:34 PM

From Editor William Travis

Greetings!

Allow me to introduce myself: I’m William Travis, an editor on the book-side of Fodor’s. As you probably read from Doug Stallings, I’m one of the many book editors who come on line from time to time to see what’s going on and give my opinions when I can. So here’s where I’m at:

1. I've been a book editor for Fodor's for almost 5 years. Like Doug, I don’t handle the programming of the Web site; I just participate from time to time.

2. I’m the New York City editor, which means I can help guide those of you who are just getting familiar with the city or are interested in visiting. I live here, and I love it. But I can’t take all the credit, because all of my colleagues live here, and each one brings new discoveries and nuances to our ever-growing knowledge of the city. I, as the NYC editor, sort of serve as a conduit for all this information. In other words, if I don’t know it, I most likely know someone who does. We share what we know.

3. I’m a city person, through and through. Although I enjoy getting out of the city from time to time, I’m insatiable when it comes to restaurants, clubs, museums, and the energy of a city.

4. As a father of a 4-year-old daughter, I’ve done a bit of family travel. I edited the FYI: Travel with your Baby book, which gives great insight of how to travel with the under 5 set.

Maggi Feb 2nd, 2005 06:06 PM

Welcome, William. I look forward to your take on New York.

I will be visiting soon with my 16 year old niece. We've chosen the Essex House (booked a park-view room way back in September in anticipation of "The Gates"). I'd like to take her ice skating in Central Park and to Serendipity, even if we do have to stand in a long line. I am considering Chez Josephine and/or Tao. We have theater tickets to "Little Women" and "Slava's Snowshow".

I think we'll forgo the Empire State Building, but I would like to take her on the Staten Island ferry for a view of the SOL. We will probably eat Sunday brunch at Cafe Botanica and do a carriage ride in the park, in addition to exploring the Christo installation. We will have from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. We fly out of LAG at 7:00.

I look forward to any comments you might have.

Maggi

emd Feb 2nd, 2005 06:10 PM

Thank you for the introductory post, Mr. Travis. Very nice to meet you.

As the father of a 4 yr. old, did you get a chuckle out of our post on traveling to Vegas w/triplets?

I have one other question. If both you and Mr. Stallings are book editors at Fodors who come over to the dark side, er, I mean come over to the forum from time to time to see what is going on, is there any full time forum editor? Or do you two (and perhaps others) share some oversight of the forums w/other people who monitor it more closely?

We have great NYC lovers on the board, like mclaurie, Howard, mp, nytraveler, MFNYC, Patrick (sorry, I can't help but mention them since they have helped me so much w/my NYC trips in 2004) and many others, and we'd be thrilled to have you drop by on the many NYC posts. We love NYC too.

Eileen

carla1967 Feb 2nd, 2005 07:00 PM

william travis, like in the alamo, huh?

jersey Feb 2nd, 2005 07:06 PM

Welcome and please come to our Fodors GTG in May. We really had a blast last time. These are the 5 requirements to attend...

1. You like to travel
2. You like to eat
3. You like people
4. You are willing to drink some wine
5. See numbers 1-4

Really...come to our GTG and see what your readers are really like, I dare you.

Jerzee

Clifton Feb 2nd, 2005 07:38 PM

Hello William, it's good to see you and Doug introducing yourselves here. I look forward to reading your views on NYC, as my wife and I will be making a "first" visit later this month. (my 2nd really, but the first was 25 yrs ago, as a kid)

Overall, it really is an enjoyable forum and has a lot of great input from so many places. When you <i>do</i> locate that Fodors web guru within your midst, please give them our regards.

travelinwifey Feb 2nd, 2005 09:41 PM

Thanks for the introduction Travis6565. It is very nice to meet you. This board is a great resource for travelers. Best of luck:)

Statia Feb 3rd, 2005 04:09 AM

Nice to meet you, William, and thanks for telling us a bit about yourself. I'll look forward to your future NYC tips since I travel to the city annually.

Budman Feb 3rd, 2005 04:30 AM

William, pencil in your calendar the date of 21 May for our NJ/NY Fodors GTG. We'd love to have you. Just one small requirement/request -- <b>Bring us Fodor Pins.&lt;/b) ((a)) ((b))</b>

cd Feb 3rd, 2005 04:48 AM

If he brings you pins, Budman, he also has to send the rest of us one!
Nice to meet you William Travis, thanks for the introduction.

JackOneill Feb 3rd, 2005 06:11 AM

Hey, William. I guess you've heard about us, eh?

And since you're the New York go-to guy, how come EVERYONE in NY wears black?

GoTravel Feb 3rd, 2005 08:33 AM

Hi William Travis!

Thank you for taking the time to introduce youself. Now we won't completely gang up on Doug Stallings (bloodsport ya know).

On the serious side of things, why is it that the NYC Fodors Travel Guide leaves the NY Salisbury off its recommended list?

Bill Alverado the GM, does a fabulous job with the hotel. My parents spend so much time in that hotel it is like their home away from home. The rooms are very large, excellent Midtown location, and excellent service.

cigalechanta Feb 3rd, 2005 08:46 AM

WELCOME!!!((F))

SergioL Feb 3rd, 2005 08:47 AM

Mr. Travis, we have a suggestion for the web site - split it into two parts, for those who travel, and those who do not. Your marketing needs to follow suit, and begin to develop products for the non-travellers. Guides to inform people about the towns and neighborhoods in which they live. There is an enormous home-bound market right here on this site, i.e., many of the people who've already started posting to you. You'll begin to notice over time the same people post 24/7, hence one begins to wonder when they travel. They are primed for non-travel products, and fodors has an historic opportunity to capture this segment before your competitors catch wind of them. Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Scarlett Feb 3rd, 2005 09:01 AM

Welcome Mr Travis!
Although you are on the Book side, you must be familiar with the Forums by now!
I hope you enjoy posting as much as reading.
I look forward to seeing you around ((F))

SergioL Feb 3rd, 2005 09:07 AM

lol, Mr. Travis, take note!

dcespedes Feb 3rd, 2005 09:39 AM

Greetings William Travis. So glad you and Doug have peeked in on us and look forward to reading anything you and Doug have to offer.

FainaAgain Feb 3rd, 2005 10:27 AM

Hello, William! So nice to know real people run this website!

April Feb 3rd, 2005 10:32 AM

This reminds me of the Wizard of Oz coming out from behind the curtain. There are real people at Fodors! Fun to hear from you.

wanderluster Feb 3rd, 2005 11:45 AM

;) LOL SergioL ;)

Welcome William Travis.
We appreciate your excellent work and this wonderful website.
And as the father of a 4 year old, your fun has just begun!
Enjoy!