Reload this Page >

From Dulles to downtown D.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 11:18 AM
Marcie

Unfortunately (due to cost) we're going to have to fly into Dulles instead of Reagan airport....what is the best/convenient means of transportation to the downtown area? Are there hotels that offer shuttle service (maybe we could stay at one of those hotels).

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 11:29 AM
L

Two options: take the Flyer bus (ask location at baggage - probably $16 or so per person to downtown DC). Or a taxi - about $45-$50. Personally, I'd take the taxi - easier, quicker and cost is not much more. Don't waste time trying to hook up with a hotel bus - there probably wouldn't be one anyway. You may cringe at $50, but it makes the most sense. Dulles is 20 or so miles outside DC, and we are years away from having a subway line out there.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 01:39 PM
Christina

I don't think hotels run shuttle buses to Dulles, I've never heard of one, anyway. I agree since you mention "we" that you are 2+ people, so you might as well just take a cab as it won't be much more than the bus and much more convenient. The Wash Flyer bus goes to near the convention center downtown and then I think has free shuttles to the hotels. If you don't want to take a cab, here is info on the options: www.metwashairports.com

I thought I had read about a new city bus service direct from Dulles to downtown somewhere, but I cannot find any info on it. There is one from L'Enfant Plaza to the Dulles corridor somewhere, I know that. The only other public option is not very feasible with luggage and a pain to boot, you take a bus to the West Falls Church metro station and then the metro from there to downtown.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 02:25 PM
kam

The Washington Flyer is easy and drops you at the Hilton, I think. From there you can take an inexpensive D.C. cab to your destination. D.C. cabs are not allowed to pick up at Dulles and VA cabs are not allowed to pick up in D.C. Thus the Flyer which is an airport only, albeit expensive way to go. There are Flyer buses and Flyer cabs as well. There must be mention on the Dulles website. (cab fare last year was $55--don't know about the bus)

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:50 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I normally wouldn't recommend this, but if you're only staying for a weekend, consider renting a car. When we went last Jan, cars could be had for around $17 a day and hotel parking was about $16. So if you're looking at $110 rountrip cab far, it's comparable.

Plus, you'll have the freedom to do a half-day trip to Baltimore like we did.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:55 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I normally wouldn't recommend this, but if you're only staying for a weekend, consider renting a car. When we went last Jan, cars could be had for around $17 a day and hotel parking was about $16. So if you're looking at $110 rountrip cab far, it's comparable.

Plus, you'll have the added freedom to do a half-day trip to Baltimore like we did.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:00 AM
Howard

Hello -

If cost is a concern there is a new regular public bus service from Dulles to downtown DC that makes only one or two stops enroute. The price is regular fare of under $2 per person. In convenience this matches the Wash Flyer at much savings. Not as convenient as cab, but at big, big savings.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:54 AM
martha python

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/
liveonline/travel/012901.htm
Has information on the 5A bus (the cheapie from Dulles to downtown)

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:42 AM
L

Don't make your trip into DC so difficult - take a taxi. A Flyer is okay. And there are plenty of other cabs out there to get you into DC. We do it all the time. And don't get on a public bus - it will take you forever. And why wait for a Flyer bus to the Hilton, and then have to take a taxi to you hotel? By the time you tip, etc., you'll have spent close to $40 .. for two people. You've saved $10 and added an hour or more to yout trip in. Take the easy way - Taxi.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 01:25 PM
cheapgal

Where are you staying? I say, take the flyer bus to the Metro station and then the metro to your hotel. It'll take about an hour, or take the bus downtown, that's about an hour too, and way cheap.