Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > From Clearwater to Homestead/Everglades
Notices

From Clearwater to Homestead/Everglades

Mar 20th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

From Clearwater to Homestead/Everglades

My husband and I are doing a road trip in late Sept/October . Will be traveling from Clearwater to Homestead area where would like to experience some of the Everglades , i.e. Anhinga Trail &/or Shark Valley. Will have less than a full day there. Is there any advantage to traveling via Fl. Rt 90 across instead of Rt. 27? Is it worth the extra (perhaps) 2 hours time on the road to do 90?

Also, is the heat/mosquito problem still a huge factor in early Oct.?

Thanks for any advise
Mar 21st, 2014, 03:23 AM

This is going to depend on where the rest of you road trip is taking you.

I would personally prefer to take US 41 ( which Google insists on calling FL 90) . It is the access to Shark Valley, but you can also stop in Chokoluskee and Eveglades City, interesting in their own right and headquarters for the western part of Everglades NP. You can get a boat tour of the ten Thousand Islands from there.

41 is a two lane highway, and you can be quite close to alligators and other wildlife, notably at the Turner River Bridge. Fairly near the Shark Valley turnoff is a Miccosuccee Indian Reservation which has all sorts of interesting if touristy stuff and a restaurant with Indian or Indianish food.

But all this depends on where else you are going.

Search this Thread