From Atlanta to Banner Elk-best route

Sep 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

From Atlanta to Banner Elk-best route

Can anyone advise on best rut to Banner Elk? I have come through Boone and also up 221 to 105, but am wondering about taking stat rd. 19. Please advise.
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:09 AM

If you are referring to 19E, It is completely closed in many places in Avery County because of the floods. Since 221 is also completely closed there are a few side road alternatives but the easiest is to take I-85 to 221 in Spartanburg (Not the business 221 but the regular 221 exit). Take 221 to Marion. Take I-40 East toward Morganton and get off at the Jamestown exit. Take a left and go about 2 miles to 181. Take 181 north through Jonas Ridge, Pineola and into Linville. Take 105 towards Boone. Turn left on 184 in Invershield and it will take you into Banner Elk.

You can follow 221 through Marion and take a road called Coxes Creek to Spruce Pine to 19E. Then follow 19 to Avery County then it is a series of small back roads that I cannot even give you the road numbers for and I live here!.

It is a little out of the way because of 221 and 19E being closed but the route I quoted is the best and easiest to find. Have a great trip

April

Search this Thread