Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

From all your travels what would you suggest as your top three experiences?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Sarah

Hawaii, the volcano at night, Kalalau trail (Kauai) during the day

Italy anywhere but certainly when you are young and able to travel alone

Cappadocia in central Turkey under a full moon. For anyone not familar, there are large stone like peaks, people have carved out and into homes and churches. Under a full moon the town looks like something from another planet.

Just off the top of my head this is what I would suggest. How about you.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:22 AM
repeating

Sarah,didn't you just say this on the similar thread by Simon?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:24 AM
sss

yes dalink but by accident the thread was looking for places inside CA alone. Here, I was looking for what you and others think.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:40 AM
nance

Good thread Sarah. I would say #1 for me, would be driving from Exmouth Western Australia to Perth when Skylab fell. A group of us drove all night because we wanted to get a piece of history. Did not find any, but the experience has stuck with me for 23 years. #2 would have been going on a whale watching cruise in Boston. The weather turned ugly, the seas were extremely rough. A young girl and I were on the bow of the boat, hanging on for our lives, laughing and shouting into the wind. After a bit, we looked around and we were all alone. Everyone else was inside hiding under the tables, or in the head. Never saw any whales. I will have to think about #3 for a while longer.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Paul

1. Driving the Alaska-Canada Highway including travel through Banff and Jasper National Parks in Alberta.

2. Anything in Hawaii.

3. Any Mediterreanean island (Sicily and Crete for me). I love the history, food, beaches, people, scenery.
Paul

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:11 AM
sluggo

Seals and their pups floating on ice chunks in front of a massive glacier in Southeast Alaska.

Sunrise at Bryce Canyon.

In Greenville, Maine at dusk, a magnificent and enormous bull moose emerging from the thick brush and crossing the narrow dirt road just in front of our Honda.

And yes, this is my fourth pick, but I can't help myself... Bundled in wool sweaters, gloves, a hat and rain gear in June, standing alone on the deck of a day yacht in Misty Fjords National Monument in Alaska. Three-thousand foot cliffs rising up in the flowing foggy mist, the rain fogging my glasses, it was positively spiritual.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:12 AM
big kahuna

Going to Hawaii and joining in on the beach wedding receptions of total strangers. The food was never-ending and nobody really seemed to mind the wet bathing suits.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:12 AM
gc

Unfortunately, I'm very North America-centric..

1. Sunrise over the south rim of the Grand Canyon
2. Chukanut (sp?) drive from Seatgtle to Vancouver
3. Watching a lightning storm off the Race Point dunes at midnight.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Alice

Switzerland, Switzerland, Switzerland!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:14 AM
camper man

Making love to my lady at sunrise in Acadia National Park!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:19 AM
gc

Have to add number 4

4. A full grown bison wandering down the middle of the road, snarling traffic trying to get into Yellowstone from West Yellowstone

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:22 AM
JoAnn

Our two trips to Alaska, one by ship with all it's side trips and especially Denali on a clear day!! Kenai Fjords trip with friends to see the wildlife. Costa Rica and all the week end trips we took: Monteverde and seeing 5 Quetzals, all sorts of butterfly's and birds and the wonderful people; Arenal and it's rumble's; and any place I've never been before is a wonderful experience for me.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Sarah

Nance what a beautiful memory on that boat

Thanks everyone else I am just making my way through the posts, this is GREAT!

OH AND I HAVE 4 TOO!
Waking up on an old rickety bus in Egypt, probably from the 50's. I could only see out a small space on the window, kind of formed a circular shape with visibility through the center. Every other part of the glass was scratched. Anyway I was just openning my eyes to dawn when I also saw a heard of bare backed camels running along side of the bus. Only took an instant but I will never forget the view.

Sorry I know I only asked for 3 and that does make it more spectacular.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Ally

1. A close encounter with a dolphin while diving in Maui.
2. Seeing the 'Southern Cross' for the first time, from a sailboat in the Whitsundays.
3. Watching the lava flow down Arenal volcano in Costa Rica, at midnight while sipping a glass of wine.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Lenore

Top 3 vacations: Hawaii 2002, London 1994, Yosemite/Lake Tahoe 1999.

Top 3 travel experiences: Hiking to the top of Vernal Falls - Yosemite, Snorkeling with stingrays - Cayman, Whale Watching - Hawaii.

Honorable mention: Kayak/snorkel trips - swimming with turtles in Barbados and similar experince in Hawaii, Hiking to the top of Heavenly mountian in Tahoe, Pink Jeep Tour in Sedona, Stargazing in Sedona, and Hiking to and discovering many waterfalls in North Carolina.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:50 AM
AndYouStillWant

#1. Nightmare trip --Visiting relatives in a very remote part of the AZ desert. Husband was out walking our dog (on leash)on a desolate road that parallels the freeway. As he came up to a group of dilapidated buildings along the frontage road, suddenly a dog appeared from behind one of the buildings and charged at him and our dog, then another dog appeared and another...(6) in total attacked our dog and my husband. Husband was okay, dog needed surgery. When we left AZ a few days later, we stopped at what looked like a nice Hotel on the Hollywood strip on our way back home to CA, and snuck our dog into the room all bandaged up. By nightfall, we were in hooker heaven. Cars were cruising right outside our window, people above our room were fighting and breaking beer bottles, prostitutes were walking the street right outside our door-Scary and no sleep!

#2 - Driving through Glacier National Park into Alberta, we ended up on a deserted road near a Ranger station at dusk and decided to turn around and head back to Montana. It was eerily quiet, no cars or people on the road, and forest on either side of us. My husband is driving. Suddenly, we pass by a motorcycle lying in a road ditch with its blinker flashing, and a few feet away is a crumpled body. (Gives me chills to remember this) No-one else is anywhere around. We are in a "foreign" place with a rental car and no cell phone and have no idea what we've come upon...my husband pulls the car over and goes over to the body. Covered in blood, turns out to be a woman who had a nasty accident after hitting a deer. She was in so much pain, she kept telling me husband to get her gun and just shoot her. Of course he didn't, but tried to make her as comfortable as possible until after about 15 minutes, another motorist finally approaches with a cell phone and calls for an ambulance. Don't know the outcome.

#3 - On our way to camping trip and I left in a separate car before my husband, who had to work that day. When he finally shows up at the campsite, he has blood on his shirt (notice a trend here?) As he was heading down the windy road, he was witness to a head-on collision. One car had a college-age student and the other an elderly couple. The area was so rugged, it took quite some time before an ambulance arrived and the attempt to air-lift the injured people out could not be accomplished. Sad to say, the elderly man did not make it.

In case you're wondering, no, not all of our trips are like this! But, we do have aour share of "stories and adventures!"

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:51 AM
lisa

1) sitting by a campfire near Glacier Park with Native Americans on the 4th of July in the 70's.

2) Seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time.

3) Fishing on Trout Lake, in the mountains of Colorado, (just last week) earrrrrly in the AM, just hearing the rustle of the winds, and the fish jumping.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Connie

1. Great Wall of China
2. All of Yellowstone-especially the snowmobiling trip
3. Camping/hiking on top of Beartooth Highway
4. Canoeing/fishing/camping on the Yellowstone River in Montana

Going to Alaska in two weeks--this list is likely to change!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Beth

#1 Napali Coast snorkle trip , and staying at the Hyatt in Kauai. #2 Grand Cayman , the beautiful beach and snorkling with sting rays, and great resturants. #3 Staying at the Kahala Mandarien Oriental. Place was in a residental area of Ohau in between Ko Ko Head volconoe and Diamond Head. Kids got to train the dolphins at this very secluded uncrowded resort and Roy's restuarent just down the road. Sandy Beach is just down the road for some great surfing and boogie boarding.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:07 AM
gc

Oh, what the heck...

5. Having a snowball fight with my wife and kids in July at the top of Grand Teton

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -