Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Friend from China to visit Washington DC. Need help on budget hotel for her (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/friend-from-china-to-visit-washington-dc-need-help-on-budget-hotel-for-her-868723/)

monicapileggi Dec 5th, 2010 05:45 AM

Friend from China to visit Washington DC. Need help on budget hotel for her

Hi friends,

When I was in China two years ago, I met a young woman in Chengdu. I asked her to be my guide while touring around. We had a great time. She will be in DC the week of the 13th on a business trip and of course would like to do some sightseeing.

I'm trying to find a hotel that would be good for her - easy access to the main DC sights and located in an area with a variety of restaurants. Her budget is up to $150.

I believe DC (near the mall area) shuts down at night, so I'd like to find an area with some night life for her.

I did find one hotel in Old Town Alexandria where she could walk to the metro but wondering if there's something closer to the city center.

Thanks!

Monica ((F))

PS: I'll keep looking through this forum for hotels

DebitNM Dec 5th, 2010 06:22 AM

I suggest Dupont Circle and using Hotwire. There are some great prices being offered - I plugged in 5 nights starting on 12/13 and got some highly starred props for under $100.

DebitNM Dec 5th, 2010 06:33 AM

There is a 4.5* at $79 that I think is Fairfax at Embassy Row
another 4.5* for $134 that I think is The Madison [ a loew's hotel]

I used betterbidding.com to help figure out which hotels might be the ones offered on hotwire.

divineMissM Dec 5th, 2010 08:17 AM

Do you know where in the city she'll have to be for her business meetings, how early in the morning etc?

tomfuller Dec 5th, 2010 04:52 PM

There is a HI Hostel at 1009 11th ST. NE. There is another place that tries to call itself a hostel that is horrible.
The HI hostel is a real bargain for a center city location.

denice7 Dec 5th, 2010 05:27 PM

Tomfuller....you do not want to be at 11th street in NE. I would not call 11 NE a center city location.

try the hilton garden inn on 14th and dupont circle. you should be able to find something reasonable this time of year in DC

BlueSwimmer Dec 5th, 2010 05:54 PM

Dupont Circle area is great for a young woman on her own- lots of stores and eateries, safe and charming. Penn Quarter is another option.

monicapileggi Dec 6th, 2010 08:32 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments. No, I am not sure where her meetings will be held, but I can find out.

I'll have her check for the Dupont Circle area (sounds like the best) and Hotwire.

Thanks!!!

Monica ((F))

kayd Dec 6th, 2010 09:25 AM

A correction: The HI hostel is on 11th ST NW, a perfectly ok area these days, just a few blocks from Metro Center. The 1000 block of 11th NE, however, is not a central location.

tomfuller Dec 6th, 2010 09:47 AM

Sorry for the typo. I've never stayed there but have stayed in many other HI Hostels in the US and Canada. They are usually close to transit but not always.