Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fresh Pineapple from Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fresh-pineapple-from-hawaii-436498/)

mlarson May 28th, 2004 06:41 AM

Fresh Pineapple from Hawaii

Is it very difficult to bring back pineapples from Honolulu? There's no place on earth that has pineapples as delicious as Hawaii, and we wanted to bring some back with us.

carolyn May 28th, 2004 07:19 AM

Oh, no--just the contrary. They make it very easy for you. You can buy them packed in cartons and just check them through with your luggage.

bonniebroad May 28th, 2004 07:44 AM

Mlarson, sorry to say, we have been disappointed with the pineapples we brought back (as Carolyn says, already packed, ready for you to check through.) I believe they are picked *too green* so that they ship well, and never really ripen properly. My sister and my neighbor have felt the same way about their shipments, so we don't do that anymore. Maybe someone else here has had a much better experience? But I wouldn't chance it again........

mlarson May 28th, 2004 07:45 AM

Who packs them fresh in cartons and where do you pick them up? Airport?

SuzieTrue May 28th, 2004 08:50 AM

Last time in Hawaii, we purchased our take home pack at the Dole Planatation on Ohau. Then when checking in for flight home picked up the carton to check with other luggage.

travelinwifey May 28th, 2004 09:35 AM

We had shipped home Pineapples from the Dole Plantation too. Somehow they lose something in transit by plane, perhaps the stale air, but they didn't taste very good. I kept bragging to my friend how the Pineapple is so much better in Hawaii but my gift to her didn't taste so good....just like the store bought pineapple.

mlarson May 28th, 2004 11:35 AM

I'm glad I asked! My husband was all set on bringing back for our relatives and neighbors. I'm not going to now. Too much trouble and no return!!!!

THanks for the feedback!

bonniebroad May 28th, 2004 11:42 AM

Mlarson, we've found the macadamia nuts to be a great gift to send back/bring back to friends and family. You can pick them up in ready-to-mail cartons at Hilo Hatties, ABC Stores, Long's Drugs. That's what everybody keeps asking for more of, in my experience........... We have done the Kona coffee, but everybody doesn't like the taste, so now we stick with macadamias. We don't even do the boxes of chocolate-coated macs anymore because we bought a whole case to give out, on one of our trips, brought it home, and it was STALE!!! Just a thought for you to consider...... the macs....

mlarson May 28th, 2004 01:10 PM

Thanks, sounds like a great idea. I'll do the macs and t-shirts and/or shell necklaces.

bonniebroad May 28th, 2004 01:19 PM

Mlarson, and for somebody REALLY special at home, like grandparents or parents who are babysitting your kids, or just because you love somebody, order flowers from one of the flower farms that you visit, and have them shipped home. They are gorgeous, and last close to a month....... And the recipients are just blown away! My sister and I have done that on a few occasions for people!