Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Frequent Flyer Usage...2nd class citizen (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/frequent-flyer-usage-2nd-class-citizen-153316/)

s! Aug 1st, 2001 03:47 PM

Frequent Flyer Usage...2nd class citizen

I have a few questions: <BR> <BR>1. I am using freqent flyer miles for a free 1st Class ticket on a very long domestic flight. Has anyone ever noticed a drop off in service because the ticket they were using was ...free? Do flight attendents even know who is free and who paid $4500? <BR> <BR>2. I am using points for a free hotel room for several nights. How do I avoid getting stuck in a less than great room? <BR> <BR>Is there a bias...or or hotels and airlines really happy to serve frequent travelers? <BR> <BR>(Note: I have a lot of miles...but I am not in the super status levels of the programs.) <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for the help.

Karen Aug 1st, 2001 04:08 PM

My husband and I wondered the same thing 2 months ago. We used miles for free business class tickets to Paris on United. The service that we got was fantastic and the same as everyone else. I went into the gally at one point to stretch my legs and they had a business class seating chart on the wall showing who everyone was, what level they were in the mileage plus program, and if they paid for the ticket or not. I was really surprised to see that and so I watched closely and the service that everyone got was the same. Hope this helps.

xxx Aug 1st, 2001 04:44 PM

We're members of Marriott's reward club and recently cashed in some points for a free night's stay at a full-service Marriott. I expected to be put in a small room next to the elevators and ice machines. Was very surprised when the desk clerk handed me the key cards, smiled and said that they had upgraded us to a suite and he hoped that we'd enjoy our stay. We did! There's a good example of increasing brand loyalty.

Jay Aug 1st, 2001 04:52 PM

Any well run airline or hotel will make sure that their employees understand that it is frequent travelers who are the bread and butter, lifeblood of their businesses. As such, they should be catered to accordingly whether on a free ticket/room or paying top dollar. <BR>Yes, there are times I've felt shorted on a free room, but I can't be sure that it wasn't simply because the hotel was full and I was checking in late. <BR>When using miles to get free overseas flights I've noticed no discrimination. <BR>Keep in mind that there are quite a few free upgraders in business and first class on most every flight.

paul Aug 1st, 2001 07:24 PM

I flew on United recently using miles. There was no discernable difference in service or attitude. If anything, I thought they were nicer to me. Even got an upgraded seat.

Chada Aug 2nd, 2001 03:02 AM

Sure noticed a difference with American last year, flying on FF miles to Madrid. <BR> <BR>A strike at CDG had us very late for our Gatwick connection. At Gatwick, we asked for help from the AA personnel getting us through Security and to the gate in time to make the flight. <BR> <BR>Not only did we not get help, they detained us asking whose FF miles we were traveling on (my husband's) and whether he was Gold or Silver status. When we said no, they continued with the 3rd degree and threw us to the end of the very long line for the metal detector. <BR> <BR>It was very clear, and has been the case on other occasions, that there's a big difference between being a premium-level user of FF miles (an asterix appears by your name in all the travel records, so they know who you are instantly) and being a normal mortal just using some of your own miles. <BR> <BR>FYI: we made the connection only because another passenger on Delta was in the same fix and got a Delta agent, who was happy to help us ALL get through security on a sort of fast-pass. <BR> <BR>Thank you, Delta at Gatwick.

Marriott.isno Aug 2nd, 2001 03:20 AM

Airline first class has gone down overall in my opinion. It seems less service and quality of food and wine. But I have not noticed the difference using points. <BR>Marriott has been great with me on points. I am Gold on Marriott and that may have some influence. <BR>Starwood I have never been upgraded on a free room. I have often been disappointed in quality, when using points at starwood and I was platinum with them. <BR>This is why I stay at Marriotts when I have a option.

Leslie Aug 2nd, 2001 12:08 PM

My husband is Premier Executive on United & a Platinum Member on American. We usually buy the cheapest economy class ticket and upgrade with miles (saves lots of miles). The service is always the same (good/bad depending on the day/person). <BR> <BR>However, when the attendant comes around asking you what you would like to eat they ask the paid customers first, upgrades second, & free tickets last. Just in case they run out of something, paid customers get first choice.

L Aug 2nd, 2001 12:21 PM

I've use FF on UAL, American and US Airways, both for free tickets and for upgrades to first. I've never noticed any difference in service ... thus I've actually never had occasion to even wonder about it. What did surprise me was what one of the posters said about seeing a list of people in first and the basis for their being there. Would that bias some attendants? I wonder. Ciao

some of my best friends Aug 2nd, 2001 12:58 PM

I know a number of gate agents and attendants. You better believe they know exactly who the VIPs, the Platinums, and the Golds are. There are notations all over the passenger records. And if they _don't_ treat those people with very special gloves, their jobs are at stake. No country in the world observes a stricter class system than the US does when it comes to travel and leisure.

N Aug 2nd, 2001 01:17 PM

This is interesting. I am using miles for first class ticket and I wonder if my seat assignment (the last row in first class) is an indication of what Leslie said about food service. That really doesn't matter to me. Unless I am flying to Europe in Business or First the food usually stinks anyway. I just like to extra legroom for my tall husband. :-)

tRex Aug 3rd, 2001 08:33 AM

This is my third trip to hawaii on FF mile, this time for three people. I upgrade and travel often, but am not a Platinum or GOld. There is no preferential treatment once on the flight. Booking, we book 50 weeks in advance, and I alway have travelled on the bulkhead, all trips. It is when you book that makes a difference, and if you ask for a certain seat. <BR>As for preferred treatment, yes, IF you are gold, platinum, you will get the best treatment, put first in any line, and be the first to be taken care of if there is a problem. That is how ist hould be.

RexHole Aug 3rd, 2001 08:56 AM

If you got the bulkhead going to Hawaii, it wasn't on United, that's for sure. United keeps those first several rows for not-quite-First-but-better-than-coach. <BR> <BR>And no, that isn't how it should be.

learningtoflying Aug 3rd, 2001 10:18 AM

Newbie question: What does "bulkhead" mean??

sjones Aug 3rd, 2001 11:05 AM

Karen: <BR> <BR>I spoke with three of my friends who are Flight Attendants on UAL - there is never a posting showing who is on a paid ticket or not. There is a posting in the galley showing the person's name as well as their Mileage Plus status. 1K, PremEx, Prem, Mileage Plus (just means they don't have status but are members). <BR> <BR>Newbie - bulkhead is the first seat in first or coach - usually has a bit more legroom, but you can't store anything underneath the seat in front of you since it doesn't exist. <BR> <BR>Rex - actually, I do think that people who fly more often and pay more SHOULD have more perks than those who don't. I know that this thread has been beaten to death on this forum so I won't say anything else on this topic.

topper Aug 5th, 2001 06:37 AM

up please

back-of-bus-flyer Aug 5th, 2001 09:14 AM

sjones: <BR> <BR>Pardon my naivete -- however I'd like to point out that airlines are in the service industry and as such, ALL customers should receive a similar level of service when in the same class as one another. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately the airlines appear to interpret this principal to mean that everyone gets the same lousy treatement! <BR>

Pete Aug 5th, 2001 03:00 PM

My sister was just on a short flight from Atlanta to South Florida (Delta Air) HShe was at teh airport almost 5 hours before her flight was scheduled to leave so she attempted to fly standby on some earlier flights... well the did not honor stand by by who was on teh list first but by who paid the most for their ticket... OUTRAGEOUS

sjones Aug 5th, 2001 05:40 PM

Actually, the standby policy by the airlines is stated when you purchase your ticket. Everything is dependent upon the fare that you paid for the ticket. Did your sister pay a full fare? Then she is totally entitled to an earlier flight. Doesn't your business treat the customers who frequent your business more (i.e., provide more revenue) better than a customer who may only buy something once per year? It may not be "right", but it is a fact of life. Why should the airlines be any different? If there were seats available for everybody, then your sister should have been able to get on, but if not, she shouldn't have had the expectation that she would get on an earlier flight. Also, she could have paid $100 change fee plus the upgradeable fare if she really wanted to leave earlier. It's not a matter of treating people like first or second class citizens, it's giving people what they paid for. There may have been people trying to get out on the earlier flight who paid a lot more than your sister did. There has to be some type of "tiebreaker" when they're trying to get people on the flight. You get what you paid for - your sister PAID for a flight that left 5 hours later than she showed up. Basically, she took a gamble by showing up at the airport and hoping to get on an earlier flight. Sometimes this works, but oftentimes, it doesn't seem to. <BR> <BR>Sorry - this isn't meant to be flaming, but some people on this board seem to be projecting an entitlement attitude which kind of gets to me.

Brad Aug 5th, 2001 06:02 PM

....and keep in mind that part of the REASON advanced purchase tickets are cheaper is because they're NOT CHANGEABLE. <BR>In a sense, you receive a discount in return for agreeing you won't change your ticket. <BR>When business fliers pay full fare one of the reasons is because such tickets are more flexible for change (and because they often can't plan too far in advance). <BR> <BR>THUS: full fare ticketholders are 'more entitled' to the first available seats when a plane change occurs versus discounted ticketholders. <BR> <BR>AND (for 'back-of-the-bus'): everyone in the same class is NOT necessarily entitled to the same level of service. <BR>Oh sure, on paper the flight attendants aren't allowed to give Dom Perignon to the frequent fliers and Walgreen's Cold Duck to the once-a-year people in the same class. But entitlements exist: more forward seating, etc. <BR> <BR>If you stay 10 nights at Hyatt hotels and they offer you a free room the next time, are you entitled? In my book, yes. <BR>If two people ask for the last available room at a sold out Hyatt simultaneously and one is a first time guest and the other has stayed there 50 times on business, who gets the room?