Reload this Page >

French Quarter Inn - Charleston, South Carolina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Karen

We're heading to the French Quarter Inn in Charleston on Saturday, August 30. Any recent experiences or suggestions for the Charleston area re: tours, eats, etc.?

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 03:39 PM
t.tegal

Charleston is a lovely city and you should have a very good time. The carriage rides around the city are wonderful. For eats, one of our very favorite places is California Dreaming. It is right on the water and has wonderful food. Go early, though, since they don't take reservations and the lines can get long. They are also open for lunch.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Andy

Karen- here are 4 good restaurants:
1.Blossoms- great for lunch
2.Magnolias-great for dinner-req.back room
3.ANSON's- FABULOUS FABULOUS dinner- in the market area near the carriage rides
4.Louis's--very fancy

If you are into SHOE SHOPPING-MEN AND WOMEN's SHOES-the BEST place in the US is BOB ELLIS SHOES on King Street...

Also King Street is full of ANTIQUE SHOPS---

Make sure you go to the Market area and walk around and definitely take a carriage ride thru the battery...

Also,your hotel may have bikes that you can borrow- and ride down to the Battery on your own and picnic there at the water's edge.....

There are 3 Major Southern Homes that you can tour-you can get that info from your hotel..... and Middleton Plantation , if you are interested in driving about a 1/2 hr from downtown and touring some beautiful gardens....

Hope this helps- I LOVE Charleston-does it show!! And NO, I do NOT live there!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:32 AM
kathy

Another very good restaurant, downtown on Meeting St, is Hyman's Seafood-- a large selection of fish prepared several different ways. Their hush puppies and fried green tomatoes are also very tasty. This restaurant is one of our favorites. Also downtown, on King St, is a brewery if you like that. Their beer is very refreshing!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Karen

Thanks for all of your suggestions. One more question- Is liquor service available on Sundays in Charleston? It seems to me that some parts of South Carolina have "Blue Laws" that prohibit Sunday sales. Any info? Should I BYOB?

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:03 AM
Lindalu

Hi Everyone,
Just returned from our anniversary weekend in Charleston. The French Quarter Inn was very nice. Our room was quite large, with a lovely, huge private lanai overlooking the Market. Gas fireplace (probably more of a perk in January!), jacuzzi, breakfast delivered to your room, robes, turn down service with pralines each night. In the lobby each day at 3pm they serve champagne and lady fingers , wine and cheese from 5-6pm, and cookies and milk around nine. Juices and coffee served all day. My husbands favorite...Jelly Belly's anytime! We would return to this hotel for our next trip...one of the nicest at this price. I have seen some posts here that it could be noisy, we found it incredibly quiet, though we were not on the Tommy Condon side. The hotel is within easy walking distance to everything, especially close to most restaurants.
We ate our way through Charleston, Poogan's Porch, Anson (Fantastic Lobster), Blossom (wonderful crab ravioli),Mistral (mmmmmmm Frozen Nougat dessert!), Hyman's (the owner, Eli and his Mom each greeted guests as they dined...best fried green tomatoes...try the boiled peanuts),Upstream (good food, nice presentation, stuffy waiter),Slightly North Of Broad (awesome Tomato Carpaccio!...duck confit), 82 Queen (overated, food was tasty...dishwasher must be on the blink), A.W. Shucks (great steamed shrimp, lovely house dressing...lots of locals like it).
We took a Plantation Tour of Magnolia and it was great, take the Swamp tour if it's raining, we saw lots of alligators and wildlife that aren't so evident when it's sunny and warm. Carriage tour downtown was fun, nice driver (pre-med student at U of C), go early before the crowds to get a slightly less crowded carriage. Shopping in the market was fun, lots of "stuff", bought our sea grass basket from Julian, only guy we saw making and selling baskets...beautiful souvenir.
All in all we had a great time and look forward to our next visit.
Lindalu

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:09 AM
Here

Go to Bob Ellis Shoes. They are the best shoe store in the US. Takes lots of $$$$$$. Expensive.