Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Freaky Friday rants and raves. June 11 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/freaky-friday-rants-and-raves-june-11-a-441426/)

jor Jun 11th, 2004 03:55 AM

Freaky Friday rants and raves. June 11

rant: My lawn is growing faster than I can cut it.

rave: long evenings

emd Jun 11th, 2004 04:01 AM

Hello Jor, I was composing one when you posted. What's that thing about great minds?

Rave: DC Metro system. Live here and don't use it alot, but this week w/the state funeral it gave me the ability to get downtown and earn a living.

Rave: Scarlett's egrets and every one else's creatures.

Rave: Working at home today.

just one little bitty rant: japanese beetles. Any insect lovers out there who can enlighten me as to their goodness?

elizabeth_reed Jun 11th, 2004 04:14 AM

rave: the rib fest is in town and I'm having lunch there.
rant: it's raining off and on -- but I have my raincoat so I can go to the rib fest!!

rave: The Food Network has been having barbecue shows on all week.

ronkala Jun 11th, 2004 05:06 AM

Rave:
Leaving for San Diego and Utah National Parks in three months for a three week trip. Leave for Glacier NP and Canadian Rockies in twelve months also for three weeks.

Retirement is so good and there is so much to see.

BarbaraS Jun 11th, 2004 05:10 AM

rant: I spent so much money in Europe I can't afford to travel again until next summer.

rave: I'm starting to plan a trip to Grand Cayman for next summer.

GoTravel Jun 11th, 2004 05:33 AM

Rave: Summer is here and I survived another birthday!

Rant: that horrid Bobby Flay hosting grilling shows on the Food Network calling it BBQ.

Grilling is the act, BBQ is the food.

bonniebroad Jun 11th, 2004 05:40 AM

RANT: Gaining weight this summer. Time to hit the melon and cottage cheese!

RAVE: The class this country is showing in honoring it's 40th president

RANT: The summer heat and humidity have definitely settled back in central N.C.

RAVE: All the fun we have talking about our creatures and recipes on this Board

RAVE: We finally had a decent amount of rain here in my part of Raleigh yesterday, so my little garden is beautiful today. Tomatoes and squash looking great!

bonniebroad Jun 11th, 2004 05:42 AM

Belated Happy Birthday, Go_Travel!((G))

And you're right about that BBQ thing!

Scarlett Jun 11th, 2004 05:48 AM

Happy Birthday GoTravel ((F))((F))((F))

Rave: All the lovely people who notice the critters and told me about them ~

Rant: I been sick :(
Rave: I be better :D

emd, did you try those little bags that go by a shrub or plant that the beetles go into somehow? they say they are trying to come up with an organic/natural enemy that will eat them..

emd Jun 11th, 2004 05:52 AM

p.s. GoTravel and elizabeth: Thanks for reminding me- I need to go out and clean my grill so my husband can BBQ some steaks on it tonight.
Happy belated birthday, GoTravel!

Byrd Jun 11th, 2004 06:03 AM

rave--we're leaving shortly to pick up two grandchildren (and their two dogs) for a week's visit while their parents go off to celebrqate their 15th anniversary!

In addition to children and dogs, we're also bringing bicycles, and keyboard (our old antique piano just won't cut it!)

Byrd

jor Jun 11th, 2004 06:05 AM

emd, so well said!!! I BBQ on the grill as well.

capri767 Jun 11th, 2004 06:06 AM

Rave:Planning a fabulous ski trip ..need all the input I can get..
Rave:Go Travels's pimento cheese receipe
Rant:The way some people continue to patronize dolphins in captivity shows/execursions

emd Jun 11th, 2004 06:08 AM

Hi Scarlett: The bags work based on chemicals that are pheronome-like (sp?) and my neightbor came out as I was setting them up and said (w/a glare) that if I used them it would attract thousands of them from up to 1/2 mile away! So the bags went in the garage. Spray pesticides don't work and they kill the leaves and roses anyway. The only thing I've found that works is flicking them off into soapy water. But that can make one crazed- how many times can I run out there each day, curse and drown beetles, and still maintain sanity and get other stuff done (and besides, more beetles just come after I go back in the house). It has almost made me abandon the roses and hibiscus. This may seem insignificant, but my garden is a usually my little spot of beauty and tranquility. Sigh. I'll stop now.

Rave: cybertravelfriends who love their gardens

Fodorite018 Jun 11th, 2004 06:09 AM

rave--Headed to the coast for the weekend...and its cool and rainy...my favorite weather!

swalter518 Jun 11th, 2004 06:10 AM

Rave: Custer State Park on Monday and then Tuesday-South Dakota was way better than anticipated!
Rant:8 hours to get to South Dakota from Chicago by plane!! I could be in Paris by then!

ahhnold Jun 11th, 2004 06:15 AM

Rant: Ronald Reagans passing

Rave: Reagan most effective president of 20th century.

Fodorite018 Jun 11th, 2004 06:29 AM

forgot my rant--DH is a recently retired Naval Officer and really wanted to go see the ships at Fleet Week for the Portland Rose Festival...but between work this week and leaving for the weekend we are missing it:(

ethel Jun 11th, 2004 06:30 AM

rave: I leave for Vegas tomorrow morning at 6:23am. It feels like Christmas Eve. I can't wait!!

rant:I'm still at work today.
rave:but get to leave in 30 minutes!

jasper Jun 11th, 2004 06:31 AM

whoo-hoo friday! :)

rave: can't wait to have a nice drink tonight. ((D))

rave: company picnic is this sunday.

rave: restarant week is coming to new york! already have lunch res' at aquavit and i've wanted to go there for so long! another ny dream come true.

rant: won't be able to send my mother to see ray charles. i've been trying to get tickets since christmas. god bless.

:D