Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Freaky Friday Rants and Raves 7-29-05 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/freaky-friday-rants-and-raves-7-29-05-a-547721/)

jorr Jul 29th, 2005 04:48 AM

Freaky Friday Rants and Raves 7-29-05

Rave: Cool temps. The windows have been open for five days in a row. ahhhh

Rave: Credit card balance transfers.

Rant: Cash transfer finance charges.

OneWanderingJew Jul 29th, 2005 04:56 AM

Ahhh, Jorr. We were getting worried about you--it's nearly 9am EST!

Rave: Jorr's FFRR. LOVE IT!

Rant: Shayna Kitty is still soo soo sick. She took a turn for the worse and thought we were going to have to put her down on Wed. but the vet had one more trick up her sleeve. Shayna seems a wee bit better today--have to go back to the vet's today to check. Cross your fingers and toes, friends! I think she's on her 8th life!

Rave: I have the most awesome friends!! They call or email to check on my cat daily! How sweet is that?

Rave: There is some real interest in an Atlanta GTG in Sept! Yeah!!

Happy, healthy, fun-filled, cool, sunny weekend to all!!

GoTravel Jul 29th, 2005 04:56 AM

Rant: Heat index almost 125 here yesterday.

Rant: The cold front will not make it to the coast.

Rave: Burn The Bridges Run in Charleston tomorrow morning!

cd Jul 29th, 2005 04:57 AM

We were missing you jorr. How's the painting coming along?

Rave: Saw 'Menopause' last night and it is wonderful! If you've not gone, you will love, love it!!! It is an hour and half of laughter.

Rant: none today

Have a happy and safe weekend everyone!

maryann Jul 29th, 2005 05:09 AM

Rant : here I am in West Palm Beach and for 1 week have had no air conditioning.

Rave: love my 'snowbird' neighbor as I'm using her place while we wait for the part for the AC

P_M Jul 29th, 2005 05:09 AM

Rave: I found out this week that my Dad and stepmom are planning a big blow-out for their 25th wedding anniversary!! They will have a renewal of vows ceremony then a reception. This will happen August 27, so I will tell you all about it on the 9/2/05 R&Rs.

Rave: My parents are both married to very nice people.

Rant: They are remodeling the bathrooms on my floor so we must go to another floor for such purposes. I have drastically cut back my water intake, but I refuse to cut back on coffee. The worst part is that we will never benefit from this remodeling because by the time they are finished, my job will be gone. Also, they are making a lot of loud noises and stirring up a lot of dust. I used to be glad my desk was near the bathroom, now I'm not. :-[

Rave: Lots of good rain this week, my yard is happy.

OWJ, sorry for the scare w/Shayna, but I really hope she'll be on the mend soon. Please continue to keep us posted.

Statia Jul 29th, 2005 05:11 AM

OWJ, I'm glad to hear that Shayna Kitty is doing a bit better. Hopefully things will continue down that path.

Rave: A very dark, dreary and rainy day here. It's a nice change from the heat and maybe it'll get rid of the African dust.

Rave: No hurricanes yet this season....knock on wood (knocking very loudly, actually). :)

Rant: DH and I found that our "community cat," Rudolph, had passed over the Rainbow Bridge last night. After 12+ years of seeing him everyday it is strange that he's now gone. Having to tell my best friend (his owner) was hard but she was glad we were with him as he took his final breaths since she wasn't there herself.

P_M Jul 29th, 2005 05:32 AM

New Rant, this just happened:

Rant: Right after I posted my R&R's I went to another floor to use the bathroom. I was right in the middle of my business when the fire alarm went off!! This is the second time this year a fire alarm has interrupted my bathroom business. Anyway, it was a false alarm as usual. We have so many false alarms in my building, it seems like we evacuate at least once a month. What scares me is that someday we will have a real emergency situation and nobody will take it seriously.

jorr Jul 29th, 2005 05:40 AM

CD, The house painting is going sloooow. Him and his new helper didn't show up yesterday. Maybe I ticked him off. Two days ago I overheard his helper say something so bizzare I went outside and told him to shut up with that crap talk! Then I told the painter I didn't want the helper at my house unsupervised.

OneWanderingJew Jul 29th, 2005 05:40 AM

How dare they! P-M. I'd pull your pants up and march straight to the mgmt. to complain about their timing. Hehe...Actually, you have a good point. Too many drills and false alarms, and most of us will ignore alarm going off, and what if...

Tiff Jul 29th, 2005 05:43 AM

Greetings FFR&R'ers ~

Fashionably late this morning, hey Jorr, that's right baby, gotta keep 'em waiting sometimes! :S-

OWJ ~ I have been thinking of your little ((@)) all week, I am sorry she is not better. Soph and I are sending our BEST wishes.

GoT ~ Again, good to see you! I am sending you our cool front, wish I could just stuff it in a ((E)) for you! Good luck on your run! That is so great, I have never been able to run, I can walk fast, does that count, ha.

PM ~ Still sending you good job thoughts! It will all come together, doll!

Statia ~ Sad to hear about Rudolph. Bless his heart.

CAPH ~ When you check in, just want you to know you and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers, sending you healing wishes still!

Rave ~ My cup of Earl Grey sitting next to me this morning. Don't you just find that that first sip of tea or coffee in the morning is oh so soothing! Simplistic happiness at it's best!

Rave ~ Our remodeling bids from our regular fella that does our stuff have actually come in LOWER, can you stand it lower than we expected. Like when does THAT ever happen, ha.

Rave ~ My first 'project' of painting a dresser is fast upon us. I am almost brave enough, ha. I think I will need to consult with you OWJ for tips as this is my 'first'. I am thinking shabby chic.

Rave ~ Getting to say good morning to all of you from my neck of the woods to yours!

Rant ~ None today.

Have a happy Friday and a great weekend! ((L)) Tiff

jorr Jul 29th, 2005 05:45 AM

PM, What on earth have you been eating that sets of the fire alarm when you do your bathroom business? :O

tuckerdc Jul 29th, 2005 05:54 AM

Rant: Cat on a wet cold roof in the middle of the nite. Me, outside at 1 in the morning, a tad hungover from Friday nite's medicinal martini, trying to coax her down. Unable to get her in her usual route cuz the guest rooms (with the windows with operable screens) were both occupied.

Rant: Guests on a gotta-get-going/too-much-to-do morning.

Rave: Grrrrreat weather! Not hot!

seetheworld Jul 29th, 2005 06:01 AM

Rave: \:D/ \:D/ I passed my exam! \:D/ \:D/
Passing is passing, but I passed with a very high score - makes me feel good since I have been experiencing a huge amount of "brain freeze" lately -- had me worried.

Rant: I get to take another exam in August :D I take nothing for granted and will be studying my a&& off!

Rave: The cool weather! Slept with the windows open for the first time in a long time! Even baked brownies last night. I really needed a chocolate fix :D

Rant: Disappointed in the job the tree guys did on my beautiful maple. Didn't realize "pruning" and "shaping" are two different tasks (yeah, right).

Nervous about the rest of the job -- could have taken a trip to Europe with what this is costing us :(

Ravranravran.. I love my sons but at this moment I want to take both their heads and knock them together, lol. :O)

OWJ: I hope your kitty gets strong soon! Good luck with planning your GTG -- sounds like you've got a party going on!

P_M: Timing is everything in life, lol! :"> If you must know, that has happened to my DH as well, only during a bomb scare.

Tiff: I love Earl Grey tea! Only wish they made a decent decaf version.

Jorr: You should have seen the look in the tree guys eyes when I said I wanted to be home when he pruned one of our family's "sentimental" trees. If he wants to get paid...well he knows what he's got to do.

I wish everyone a joyful weekend! Stay cool and happy! :D

P_M Jul 29th, 2005 06:04 AM

Jorr, now that you mention it, this does seem to happen right after my breakfast. Maybe I should stop eating bran muffins for breakfast and eat more cheese.

margot55 Jul 29th, 2005 06:15 AM

Rave: Fodorites on the European board who have been so helpful in easing my overwhelmed state about planning our southern France trip this coming September!

Rave: Finally, the welcome and long overdue break in the oppressive humidity here in the northeast.

Rave: Dog trainer coming this evening to begin puppy training for Quincy (really for US!;)) ((&)) Memo to Quincy - the jig will soon be up with the nipping and peeing!

Rant: Still missing our dear departed Willie :(

OWJ - thoughts and good wishes go out to your Kitty. ((l))

Have a great weekend everybody!

cd Jul 29th, 2005 06:15 AM

Jorr
I must have ticked off my contractor also since it's been 3 weeks since anyone has shown up to work on the lower level. Phone calls go unanswered. grrrrrrr Get ready for fun with your remodeling Tiff......
Statia
Good day for you :-) but I bet the tourist hate it!
OWJ Sorry about your kitty. I just heard on the radio that the reason cats don't meet us at the door with licks like dogs do is that they really don't like us.

Fodorite018 Jul 29th, 2005 06:18 AM

Rave--Had a great week of vacation at SunRiver in central Oregon. Lots of mountain biking, whitewater rafting, tennis, pool time and family time (all extended family go).

Rave--DH and I hiked to the top of the South Sister again! It is the 3rd highest mountain in Oregon and lots of fun, but hard work. We had a beautiful day for it too!

Rant--Scotland trip in the fall is on hold.

Rave--Because I will be joining DH in Paris instead!

Rant--DD was on her way to a baseball game with grandpa, but her swimmers ear was hurting, so they had to go to the doctors instead. Not as much fun, but at least she is better.

Rave--Brother is playing in a pro-am golf tournament this weekend, so I hope to see him on tv.

Rant--MIL passed away the day after we came home from vacation this week. DH is an only child, so he bears the full brunt of everything. He is in CA taking care of details, but I am here worrying about him. The good thing is that she is not suffering anymore.

Rave--Its Friday!!!!!!

OWJ--Glad to hear that the vet still has hope! Still thinking about you.

PM--Happy Anniversary to your dad and step mom!

Statia--Sorry to hear about "your" kitty.

Jorr--LOL!!!!!!

seetheworld Jul 29th, 2005 06:19 AM

Tiff, cd...boy do I have construction stories, lol! Good luck to the both of you :D

margot55 Jul 29th, 2005 06:22 AM

One more Rave: More hope THAN EVER for a lasting peace in northern Ireland!