Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Freaky Friday Rants and Raves 7-22 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/freaky-friday-rants-and-raves-7-22-a-546039/)

jorr Jul 22nd, 2005 03:33 AM

Freaky Friday Rants and Raves 7-22

Rant: grubs are eating my lawn roots.

Rave: The house painter started painting yesterday.

Rant: People who lie to you and expect you to believe them. arggg. (not the house painter)

cd Jul 22nd, 2005 04:12 AM

Rave:
I'm first!

Rave:
Grandson is coming from Houston to spend the weekend!

Rave: Wet bar in lower level is being built. This project MIGHT get completed sometime this year.

Have a grand weekend everyone.

GoTravel Jul 22nd, 2005 04:31 AM

Rave: Jorr's FFR&R

Rave: I've got tickets to see Chicago & Earth Wind & Fire for Mr.GoTravel's big 5-0 in Raleigh this weekend!

Rave: Wanted to stop by and say hi!

P_M Jul 22nd, 2005 04:43 AM

Rave: Fodor's GTG in San Antonio!! I drove there last night after work to meet the fine Fodorites of SA. It was so much fun and the time slipped away fast. I hope there will be another one soon. Thanks to Seamus for organizing the GTG and getting Fodor's luggage tags for us.

Rant: Before learning of my changing job situation next year I booked a trip to Egypt. Once I heard the news, I knew I would have to cancel that trip sooner or later. This week I finally forced myself to make that call. It was a sad day.

Rave: Egypt has been around for thousands of years, it will still be there in a couple of more years when I can go. And if I find another job in my same company, I will rebook because I can keep my vacation time. There is some hope for that, but I don't want to jinx it by saying too much....

Rant: Late night road construction!! Last night I was driving back to Austin from the SA GTG and I counted 4 different times when traffic was brought down to one lane. It took me 2 1/2 hours to drive 90 miles. I never knew they did so much road work through the night.

Rave: So what, it was worth it to meet all the nice people at the GTG, and I'd do it again. :-)

Happy weekend, all!!

Byrd Jul 22nd, 2005 04:54 AM

Rave- My high school graduating class will celebrate it's 50th anniversary reunion tomorrow night here.. and I mean HERE, at our house!

Rave- Looking forward to seeing so many old friends.

Rant- So hot and humid that the patio (which looks so pretty right now) may be uncomfortable. But we have fans out there, and a/c inside.

Rant- How did we (the Class of 55) get so old so quickly??

Rave- We're having dinner done by our local barbecue genius, but I will make some hors d'oeuvres, margaritas, etc.

Byrd

cmcfong Jul 22nd, 2005 05:06 AM

Rave: Go Travel is back!

seetheworld Jul 22nd, 2005 05:06 AM

Rave: My husband is coming home today from Toronto! He should be in the door before noon.

Rant: He will no doubt run out to mow the lawn, lol. Uncomfortable heat, along with heavy flash rains, have created a jungle environment in our yard.

Rave: My water lily has tripled in size, gifting me with beautiful pale yellow flowers :)

Rant: Being a human alarm clock.

Rant: Watching my son commute 140 miles a day by car -- NEVER, ever thought I'd say this, but I can't wait for his apartment to be ready so that he can be closer to work.

Rave: My S&BIL and nephews will be visiting from the UK -- can't wait :D

Rant: Clearly missing some on the board -- hope things are well.

P_M: ssssshhhhh, I'm whispering, so I won't jinx anything for you....good thoughts your way :)

Hey, GoT, how's the training going?

For those of you who are suffering in terrible heat, stay cool and hydrated!

Wishing everyone a safe and happy weekend :D

Eeva Jul 22nd, 2005 05:18 AM

Rant:
Adjusting to the "real" world after spending 2 wonderful weeks in Hawaii. My body still can't figure out what time to eat or sleep!

Rave: I just spent 2 wonderful weeks in Hawaii. Now I really understand why so many people on this board return to Kauai yearly. It truly is paradise there.

Rant: Now I have to figure out how I can afford to go to Kauai again AND the other places I have always wanted to visit (Europe, Middle East, Africa...)

GoTravel Jul 22nd, 2005 05:28 AM

seetheworld, it is kicking me a$$ and thanks for asking. I've also recently started a new job which is taking up all of my other time. I'm either sleeping, running, or working and that is it. I'm in bed by 7:30PM and up running in the dark at 5AM.

margot55 Jul 22nd, 2005 05:31 AM

Rave: Quincy the Puppy is a real cutie-pie!((&))

Rant: It's been 12 years since we had a puppy and we're 12 years older now! Sleep deprivation is becoming a way of life...:(

Rant: I love summer but the oppressive humidity has been too much even for me!

Rave: Despite my mom's continued infirmities in her post-stroke struggles, our family looks forward to gathering in Florida Labor Day weekend to celebrate our parents' 65th wedding anniversary. ((L))

Have a great weekend, Fodorites!

bonniebroad Jul 22nd, 2005 05:34 AM

Rave: Talking to my friends in Fodorville every Friday. Thank you, jorr ...

Rant: For the first time, I'm seeing, up close and personal, the worst that alcohol can do to someone, no matter how much you care for them and want to help them. What a devastating thing, and there seems to be no hope. :-(

Rave: Some of the medical staff working with my lovefd one; what angels some are ....

Rave: An update for my diet/fitness buddies here (if it bores you, stop reading! :p) ......... I made the decision in June to just try to maintain my weight-loss, during this summer period, and then resume the "losing phase" after Labor Day. That would be because I have/had one trip/event after another this summer, and a big part of my vacation joy is eating and drinking my favorite things. I have continued to exercise almost every day (going in the pool at hotels, walking on the beach in Florida, walking in the 'hood here at home and going to the Y pools.) How have I done? I had lost 45 lbs. at the beginning of summer; I am only up two pounds, which is just fine. I'm allowing myself to gain up to 5 lbs., then I cut back the next few days so it doesn't get out of hand. I am very pleased with this plan, enjoying everything I want to, not backsliding, and will be ready to "hit the ground running" after Labor Day to get the other 30 to 35 lbs. off. Thanks to all of you who keep cheering me on in this thing! :-) (I'm a different person entirely walking in the Raleigh heat now ... who woulda thunk? :-d )

Rave: Going tomorrow to mountains for a week with friends. BBQ and Rio Grande Punch is almost ready to go ... party time!

Rave: GoTravel is back! So good to see you, and hope your hubby's birthday concert is a blast!

Seetheworld, your water lily sounds beautiful! You must be a flower-lover like me. I have the most gorgeous yellow hibiscus, solid yellow, center and all. Hope your son finds his apt. soon; you hate them to drive so much everyday. I talked to my son and GD in China last night; I wanted to reach across the world to hug them. My GD said, "Granny, less than a month and I'll be with you in Raleigh!" ((l)) :-)

Byrd, enjoy your reunion. I'm betting you are the world's sweetest hostess! ((f))

ethel Jul 22nd, 2005 05:34 AM

Welcome Back GoT!

Rave--Nothing to do this weekend! And it's going to be beautiful!

Rave--7th Annual IronMan competition will be held in my beautiful town on Sunday. What an inspiration to watch those athletes. Of course, I feel your body is not meant to be put through that but more power to the ones who can. I'll just sit on my not so toned butt and watch.

Rant/Rave--my road will be blocked on Sunday due to the race making it difficult to get in and out but it will just force me to enjoy not having to drive anywhere.

bonniebroad Jul 22nd, 2005 05:44 AM

Sorry, I accidentally hit "post" before I wished you all a wonderful weekend! Stay cool and have fun ... :-)

OneWanderingJew Jul 22nd, 2005 05:53 AM

Rave: GoT didn't stay away

Rant: PM can't take her trip right now so now trip reports for us

Rant/Rave: My cat is still so sick but is teeny-tiny bit better (A special thank you shout out to NOLady :) )

Rave: New houses for some special people

Rant: The humidity. It's wrecking havoc w/my hair ;)

Rave: I have stupid things to rant about

Happy weekend everyone. Wishing all of you health, happiness and fun!

OneWanderingJew Jul 22nd, 2005 05:56 AM

Bonnie--Must've been posting when you were...love, love looove your determination w/the diet! I've told you this but you are my dieting idol....Sorry about the sick relative. Alcoholism is a horror. My dad lost a brother to it and I never got to know my cousins on that side because of it.

JJ5 Jul 22nd, 2005 05:56 AM

Rant: WE NEED SOME RAIN. This is the longest drought in my lifetime. Campus grass looks like white straw.

Rant: Two days totally outside at BBQ and White Sox game will be respectively 95 and 103 degrees predicted.

Rave: So glad the White Sox have a Rain Room and I have short hair.

Have a good summer weekend all!

Statia Jul 22nd, 2005 05:59 AM

No rants or raves for me this week, but I did want to tell everyone hello and wish you all a wonderful weekend. :)

cd Jul 22nd, 2005 05:59 AM

Bonnieboard
Thanks for the diet update. I've wondered how you were doing. I joined Weight Watchers On Line and am losing about 2 lbs a week. I need to start walking but it's hard to get motivated. I'm at the point now where my clothes are fitting and some are loose in the waist which is a great feeling!

iamq Jul 22nd, 2005 05:59 AM

Bonnie: having been through alcoholism from many angles, I can tell you that the terrible hopelessness you mention is sometimes the "darkness before the dawn". It is awful, but don't loose hope! Good thoughts to you and your family.
Rave: Kaua'i in 4 days!
Rave: Arnold's approval rating is 34%.
Rave: Connecting with my parents last week. I never thought we would get along so well and have so much fun traveling together.

-Bill

Meesthare Jul 22nd, 2005 06:01 AM

Rant: after 3 wonderful weeks in Victoria, we have to go home early next week - back to record-breaking heat and humidity with no end in sight.
Rave: We'll be back out here permanently in 2 months!
Rave: Good friends in Fodorville who love to check in with each other every week - thanks, jorr!
Have a great weekend, everybody, wherever you are. :)