Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Freaking out, need advice on where to vacation in Florida for Feb! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/freaking-out-need-advice-on-where-to-vacation-in-florida-for-feb-289871/)

tsaluja Jan 22nd, 2008 10:00 AM

Freaking out, need advice on where to vacation in Florida for Feb!

We looked into the caribbean, but that was a no-go. This is incredibly last minute I know (mid-late Feb), so please no flaming. We are in dire need of a vacation and for reasons, it will just be easier to go somewhere in FL for vacation. Here is what we are seeking:

We are a married couple in our early 30s. No kids. We dont drink too much and arent into crazy night life. but we enjoy nice dinners and strolls, window shopping etc.

We want:

Beach. Definitley oceanfront. We will be ordering in a lot : )and complete relaxation. But not complete seclusion from humanity!

Also, IF possible, warm water to snorkel?

I am open to the budget. Orginally for the Caribbean, we wanted to do it under $6k for 5 nights. I cant justify that amount for FL.

Ive looked into Sanibel, Captiva, Keys, Naples...but I am so confused, there are too many choices. Some people are saying the gulf's water will be too cold. Any suggetions??
Thanks!

nolefan1 Jan 22nd, 2008 11:05 AM

If you want to snorkel I would go further south...like the Keys. The gulf is too chilly for me until late May, but I'm a native wimp. I see plenty of people from up north and Canada who don't mind the gulf temp in Feb.

mollmatt Jan 22nd, 2008 11:09 AM

The gulf water temperature right now in Naples is mid to low 70's. Depending on where you are from, that may be too cold.

There are 4 beachfront hotels in Naples. The Ritz, La Playa, Edgewater Beach Resort and Naples Beach Hotel. The Naples Grande is located just a short tram ride from the beach. Any one of these would meet your requirements for relaxation but not complete seclusion. I would think that the Ritz would probably have the best room service, albiet the most expensive....

Naples has great restaurants and avenues to "stroll" and window shop. Having a rental car is a must if you want to experience that as the hotels are not located within walking distance of the 5th Ave area and the 3rd street south area where most of the shops and restaurants are located.

No real snorkeling in the Naples area. We don't have any reefs close to shore.

You'd like it here, based on what your requirements are. This is high season though and you should expect to pay big bucks for a beachfront hotel. At least $350-$400 (maybe more, I haven't checked recently...) a night and up, up, up from there!

Brutforce Jan 22nd, 2008 11:17 AM

If you want to get into teh water, you'll need to hit the Keys. Otherwise , I'd hang out @ Amelia Island.

bugswife1 Jan 22nd, 2008 11:20 AM

Can you consider Mexico? Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Cozumel---all have good snorkeling

xkenx Jan 22nd, 2008 12:23 PM

Unfortunately, the only good snorkeling in Florida is by boat tour from places in the Keys (the reefs are 5-6 miles offshore). Water temps will be the lowest of the year, low 70s at best, even in the Keys. For swimming/surfing, that is plenty warm, but chilly for the slow-moving snorkeling. But the beaches on the Keys are mostly man-made and substandard. If you want the warmth and beaches in Feb., go to the Caribbean. I noticed that you posted on the Caribbean board. Take a look at Secret Harbour Resort on St. Thomas. See www.secretharbourvi.com They are very reasonably priced, have excellent wade-in snorkeling, water temps close to 80. Jamaica is even closer, only 1 1/2 hr from MIA. Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios is a small, classy, intimate Caribbean classic on a private beach, and won't break the bank. Even warmer than STT.

wow Jan 22nd, 2008 12:42 PM

A couple of years ago we stayed @ The Pelican Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale www.pelicanbeach.com
It's an oceanfront hotel. The pool is nice & they have a lazy river where we really enjoyed floating along. Pelican provides nice comfy beach lounge chairs. The restaurant was pretty good.(we only ate breakfast there & sometimes lunch but went out for dinner). There are lots of excellent restaurants nearby & great shopping. It's very close to the FLL airport.

clarkgriswold Jan 22nd, 2008 05:55 PM

Keep in mind that Feb 16 weekend is the beginning of a 2 week vacation / high season period for tons of people in the northeast. With the frigid weather up there this year, you'd better get moving if you plan to find anything available. Otherwise, wait until the 1st wkd of March.

wow Jan 22nd, 2008 08:43 PM

Clark: What is the "2 week vacation" that begins Feb 16...President's week & ???

I am in Canada & just wondering as I will be in Palm Beach the week of Feb 24 & did not realize that it was part of a 2 week vacation period.

gail Jan 22nd, 2008 08:59 PM

I know of no 2-week vacation in the northeast. Massachusetts and some other New England states (not NH) always has the week which includes the 3rd week of Feb off (this week Sun 2/17 on). That Monday is alsoi a Federal US holiday.

And for our Canadian poster - this holiday is called Presidents' Day as it used to be called George Washington's birthday and was part of 2 different Monday holidays in Feb (the other being Lincoln's birthday). These have been consolidated into one day off and renamed so no one can complain that their favorite President was not so honored.

wow Jan 26th, 2008 07:33 PM

Thanks Gail. I meant the week that includes President's Day.

beachbumm71 Jan 28th, 2008 12:24 PM

Overall, imo Siesta Key is your best bet. But if water activities are on the menu, you will probably need to head south to Key West at this time of year. You can find a break down of all the beaches at http://www.floridabeachblog.com this should help you determine which area best fits your vacation needs.

LN Jan 28th, 2008 12:36 PM

Siesta Key is a good choice but then so are Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key. If you're looking to fly nonstop you might consider flying into Tampa - we're just about 45 minutes south of Tampa.

Great restaurants, beaches with sand like talcum powder, St Armands Circle (wonderful window shopping!!) and some of the prettiest sunsets anywhere.

Good luck

cagney37 Jan 31st, 2008 08:34 AM

I just got back from Palm Beach - added a few days after a cruise to enjoy the beach, blue water and sun. Stayed last minute at the Marriott Vacation Club in Palm Beach Shores - oceanfront. The condos are very nice and fully equipped. Many nice restaurants and great shopping in this area. We went to the Breakers one evening and walked the property and shops and had drinks and dinner - it was lovely. There is so many good restaurants that it was hard to choose. I actually liked the beach much better at Palm Beach Shores (end of Singer Island) much better then the one behind the Breakers. They also have an adult only area at this resort. There were many Seniors but also some our age (40's) and the staff was very knowledgeable - nice, peaceful and beautiful - I may go again next month!

T

GoTravel Jan 31st, 2008 08:40 AM

What is your budget?

My pick would be the new St. Regis in Fort Lauderdale.

The hotel is brand new and simply gorgeous. Also, it is very close to Las Olas which has a ton of great shopping and dining.

You can also take the water taxi all over town and drool over the gorgeous waterfront homes.

Miami is another good option.

You can always day trip to the keys for snorkeling.

Palm Beach/Singer Island is another good option for you. There is a reef 100 yards off The Breakers or you can snorkel Peanut Island in Lake Worth (which is the body of water between Palm Beach which is the barrier island and West Palm Beach which is the mainland).

I can give you tons of options for South Florida.

wow Jan 31st, 2008 11:47 AM

cagney: I often go to Ocean Pointe but I am not aware of the "adult only" area...is this something new? Do you mean an "adult only" pool, hot tub or condo area?

travelbug44 Jan 31st, 2008 12:02 PM

I would secong the St. Regis, or the Atlantic Both are great.

The pubic schools are off one week, followed by Easter week for the parochial schools.

Tiff Feb 17th, 2008 11:06 AM

bookmarking