Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Franklin, NC ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/franklin-nc-ideas-1454259/)

staci1 Jul 6th, 2017 02:08 PM

Franklin, NC ideas

We are driving from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Franklin, NC and will be there for 4 nights. My husband and I will be traveling with our two teens. We plan to go gem mining one day and were wondering which mine is more authentic--Sheffield or Mason mine. We also plan to go hiking one day. I know we are near the Nantahala National Forest and Great Smokey Mountain Park. Which do you recommend? Any other must see/do ideas? Any restaurant recommendations? Thank you!

starrs Jul 7th, 2017 04:22 AM

Authentic French in the most unusual location ever - Caffe Rel
Be sure to make the drive from Franklin to Highlands (curvy) and stop to walk behind the Dry Falls waterfall. Fabulous!
In Highlands, some of the best food ever is at the Mountain Fresh Grocery - tables to eat throughout the grocery.
If it rains, Ruby Cinemas is a small fourplex with first run movies and great prices.
A few miles down the road is the famous Dillard House in GA if you want all you can eat southern cooking.
Not far from the Dillard House are two state parks, Black Rock Mountain and Tallulah Falls. There are easy flat walks in both plus a strenuous walk into the gorge at Tallulah.
Cades Cove in the GSMNP is fabulous but can be crowded in summer.

staci1 Jul 8th, 2017 04:52 AM

Thank you for the information. We will definitely check out the places you suggested. The Mountain Fresh Grocery sounds like a real experience!

staci1 Jul 10th, 2017 04:43 AM

What about places to go fishing? Any recommendations?

staci1 Jul 10th, 2017 04:45 AM

Also, are there waterfalls to stop and look at during the drive from Franklin to Highlands or is the drive continuous and the waterfalls are in Highlands? My daughter gets car sick and I'm wondering about all the curvy driving. Thanks!

Gretchen Jul 10th, 2017 11:11 AM

Why don't you get her some bonine or such for the drive. It is really pretty and as one who gets car sick if I don't drive, it's too bad to miss it if you can take something. Sit in front seat.

staci1 Jul 11th, 2017 06:05 AM

Yes, I will give her some dramamine. I was just wondering if there were breaks in the driving to get out and look at waterfalls along the way and get some fresh air or if it was a straight drive to Highlands before seeing anything..

starrs Jul 11th, 2017 09:35 AM

The drive from Franklin to Highlands is very curvy.
If that will bother her, it would probably be better to drive the road from Highlands, and then turn around and return - rather than continuing on to Franklin. The road from Highlands to Dillard/ 441 has curves too but not as sharp. But both routes have curvy roads.

There's a parking lot for Dry Falls. There's an observation deck for those with mobility problems and a set of very well built steps for everyone else. It's a fantastic waterfall and a great experience to walk behind the water.

https://www.romanticasheville.com/dry_falls.htm

There's a much smaller waterfall before you get to it, just off the side of the road. You used to be able to drive under a rock ledge, but the ledge collapsed about 13 years ago

Bridal Veil Falls -
https://www.romanticasheville.com/br..._highlands.htm

Ackislander Jul 12th, 2017 04:37 AM

I haven't driven the Franklin-Highlands route since before Bridal Veil Falls lost its ledge -- in fact, who knew?

These road are curvy -- it's the mountains -- but I don't remember scary dropoffs. The key is to go s-l-o-w-l-y. You are on vacation, not out to make time. If you stay pretty much in 2nd gear, you will be in the right speed range.

Our family challenge was to see if you can drive through this area without using your brakes. I once did it from Cherokee to Gatlinburg, but my father could drive from Walhalla, SC to Highlands without braking- shorter but a very twisty road.

Our grandfather would take us garnet hunting by the side of country roads. He had been in the Forest Service and could spot semi-precious stones easily. He as Scotch-Irish and would have been horrified to pay.

staci1 Jul 15th, 2017 05:18 AM

Thanks for the information, Ackislander. Your brake challenge sounds exciting! That is good to know that there is the potential to find gems in places other than the mines--yes, they are very expensive.

starrs Jul 15th, 2017 09:06 AM

Me?! :-)
It feel in early winter 2004(?) I think. I took a friend to see it and the ledge was on the ground. :O

I was there last night. Wanted to pick up French food from Caffe Rel, but they were too busy for to go orders. Picked up something from the Thai restaurant but it wasn't great. :-(

staci1 Jul 17th, 2017 05:04 AM

o.k., we will stay away from the Thai restaurant. I see there are a couple of breweries there too. We will have to make a visit or two..