Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Franconia Inn Anyone Stay There? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/franconia-inn-anyone-stay-there-333909/)

kendu Jul 5th, 2003 08:20 AM

Franconia Inn Anyone Stay There?

Hi, can anyone please tell me about positive or negative experiences with this resort. I am concerned about the food, the cleanliness, and if there are a lot of things to do. My wife and I, around forty years old, and my three kids between 10 and 14 years ago plan on going this summer.
Thanks
Ken

FlyFish Jul 5th, 2003 09:11 AM

I haven't been to the Franconia Inn lately, so my information may be a bit out of date, but I have stayed there many times over a period of about 20 years, most recently about four years ago. At that time it was, and I suspect still is, one of the very best moderately priced Inns in New England with exceptional facilities and excellent food. The same menu offered to Inn guests is also available to the public and there are many people in the dining room who are not guests at the Inn, which I think is a good indication of the quality of the food.

There are many things to do in the area depending on your interests. Even without the Old Man profile, the Franconia Notch area is a very interesting place to explore with attractions such as the Flume and the Basin, as well as numerous short or long hikes in the area to excellent viewpoints. You can also take the cable car to the top of Cannon Mountain. The Inn is about an easy half-hour drive from the Mt. Washington Cog Railway and the attractions of Crawford Notch and also makes a good base for a circle trip through both notches along the Kancamagus Highway.

There are several "man-made" attractions in the area such as Clark's Trading Post with the welfare bears who perform for handouts, but I have limited interest so can't really advise much in that area.

There is a grass landing strip directly across from the Inn where you could go on a glider ride at one time, but I don't know if that still goes on.

muffin Jul 5th, 2003 06:37 PM

I pass the Franconia Inn almost every day on my way to work and it always looks clean and well kept. I see lots of out of state cars so I guess it is still attracting plenty of guests. They offer horseback riding which is popular for many guests. You can also have a great lunch right up the road in Littleton NH and check out one of the nicest Main Streets you can ever find. Great shops for poking around in.

djkbooks Jul 5th, 2003 07:43 PM

We love the Franconia Inn. Rooms are not the fanciest, but meticulously maintained, along with the rest of the inn. It's comfortable, welcoming, scenic. The food is excellent.

Here's another recommendation for a visit to Main Street in Littleton.

kendu Jul 9th, 2003 03:07 AM

Thanks to all for all the helpful replies so far.

Nikki Jul 9th, 2003 03:32 AM

I have no up to date information, but thanks for the memories. About thirty years ago, while I was a student in Boston, I stayed there on an impromptu weekend over Thanksgiving when it got too cold to camp. The inn was closed, but the guy in charge for the night let us stay for real cheap. Pocketed the twelve bucks himself, I suspect.

Also went there on my honeymoon, but that was in 1979, so my impressions are a bit outdated.

kendu Jul 10th, 2003 03:16 AM

Great Story! I don't know if I could still get $12 a night. It is good to know the place has been around that long.
Ken