Reload this Page >

Miami to Key West - how long?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Kylie

We are Aussies visiting Florida in November. We are staying at Miami for 2 nights before driving up to Orlando for 3 nights. Although we don't have much time in Miami and I'm sure there'll be plenty to see, I was wondering if we would have time to get down to Key West. Is it possible to go there for a day trip or even just down to Key Largo. Is it worth it or should we just hang around Miami?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:49 AM
keyslover

Miami to Key West is 4 hours plus or minus.........probably to long of a drive just for a day trip.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Carl

Try doing a search about this topic. It seems to me it has been covered just recently.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:13 PM
lee

The drive will be at least 3 hours from Miami to Key West--one way! I would not try it unless you are going to at least spend one night in Key West. You'd probably do just as well to stay in Miami.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Cindy

We did a day trip from Miami Beach to Key West and it worked out nicely. We left early in the morning and got to Key West for lunch. Walked around, had a pina colada and headed back stopping to swim at Bahia Honda State Park. Water was warmer than bathtub water. Drove back and got to hotel in Miami Beach around 11:00. I would definitely recommend it.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:51 AM
susan

I wouldn't advise making a day trip from Miami to Key West because the 4 hour trip can be lengthened by hours if there's a car wreck or an unusual amount of traffic. I think there's a post on this board by someone who missed a flight out of Miami due to heavy traffic between the airport and Key West. As I recall, the trip took them 6 or 7 hours!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:11 AM
Johnny

As frequent vistors from the UK I would advise against the trip to Key West.

The drive would be approx. 3 hours so you are estimating a total of 6 hours during the day.
It is not worth it and we personally did not like Key West too much either.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:57 AM
J T Kirk

Since you're Aussies that means you're familiar with great reefs, but if you want to snorkel the U.S.' best reef and you want to leave REAL early one morning, you can drive down to Key Largo and check out John Pennekamp State Park. They offer several snorkeling trips. The drive to Largo will be about 2 hours, each way. This will make for a LONG day, though.