Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Four women Scottsdale bound (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/four-women-scottsdale-bound-476871/)

amwosu Sep 27th, 2004 07:51 AM

Four women Scottsdale bound

Four fitness fanatics (ages 30-43) who don't look or act our age are headed to Scottsdale over Halloween weekend. We plan to eat, hike, shop, dance and drink, did I mention eat? Please comment on our thoughts so far and what else to include.

Staying at Sunburst Resort due to its reasonable cost, decent pool and location near Fashion Mall. We know it gets mixed reviews...we'd rather spend our money on food that the place we lay our heads. Will it even be remotely possible to hang out at the pool the last weekend in October?

We plan to eat dinner at Greasewood Flat one night and at Elements at Sanctuary one night for two totally different ends of the dining spectrum. Any place we should go for drinks before dinner for a great view or great atmosphere?

With just three days here where is the best place to hike? And there seem to be SO many different shopping areas. Any place we shouldn't miss?

Two of us love to dance and stay out late. But we don't really care to go to the plastic boob, fake tan, bitchy attitude places. We like gay friendly bars/clubs because we can dance the night away without people hitting on us (well, there was that one time in...)Any ideas spring to mind?

BevK Sep 27th, 2004 01:12 PM

A great hike in the area of Greasewood Flats is Pinnacle Peak. It's about a 3 mile hike and you can see for many miles in all directions, plus there are million dollar+ houses surrounding it. Last night we had a bobcat cross our path just ahead of us on the trail. And you don't need to dress up for Greasewood Flats - hiking clothes are fine. There are two other great restaurants in the same area - Mosaic and Sassi, and two other western steakhouses, Pinnacle Peak Patio and Reata Pass Steakhouse, both of which also have live music, so you might want to do a little restaurant hopping. Other good hikes are at Bartlett Lake, Cave Creek Recreation Area and McDowell Mountain Park. I'm sure you already know about the shopping at Fashion Square Mall. There are also good shops at the Borgota, a few miles north on Scottsdale Road and the Promenade - a few more miles north.

gracieb Sep 27th, 2004 01:24 PM

You and your friends may not be at all interested in this, but Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West is in northeast Scottsdale. I visited while out on a business trip and then went back for a Friday night tour (maybe only in summers). I found it absolutely amazing.

Anyway, here's a link - http://www.franklloydwright.org/inde...n=taliesinwest

amwosu Sep 27th, 2004 02:40 PM

Thanks to BevK for the hiking info! Glad to know we can hit the trail then go to Greasewood Flats. I planned to browse at the Fashion Square Mall but was wondering if it is worth it to go AZ Mills in Tempe. I have seen minimal info on the Borgata but nothing about what stores are there.

Hey gracieb! Two of us are planning to go to Taliesin West. My friend has already been once but thinks its worth doing again. I have always loved Wright inspired architecture but have never seen any of the real stuff.

Do you have any input on what the whether will likely be in late October? I'm assuming cooler hiking in the mountains than what it might be in downtown Scottsdale.

Also, what about Cavern Creek (I think that's the name?) where The Satisfied Frog is located? Is the twon worth a trip and lunch there?

BevK Sep 28th, 2004 11:23 AM

Personally, AZ Mills Mall is not one of my favorites - it's mostly "outlet" stores and it's big and noisy, lots of teens, etc. (I work in a middle school so I guess I see plenty of kids without going to the mall!) The Borgota has more one of a kind stores, kind of a Tuscan type of architecture. Cave Creek is kind of interesting if you're going to hike at Bartlett Lake or the recreation area. The Satisfied Frog is a tourist place. For better food and a view I really like Tonto Bar and Grill or Cartrights. The weather at the end of October should be perfect, probably highs in the low 80's in central Scottsdale, 5 to 10 degrees cooler in Carefree and Cave Creek.

jewelhawg Sep 28th, 2004 12:38 PM

Take a day (or two, if you can) and shop and hike in Sedona. It's awesome and only 1.5 hours away.

gracieb Sep 28th, 2004 12:43 PM

If you haven't been to Sedona, you may want to consider that suggestion. I've gone up on a "free" afternoon/evening while in Scottsdale on business. The red rocks are absolutely amazing. I really enjoyed the biplane ride - a great way to see red rock country! Eat a nice dinner and drive back...and if you are still ready to go, go out dancing in Scottsdale!

amwosu Sep 29th, 2004 08:09 PM

OOOOOOH glad to hear the Sedona info. I didn't know if it was something I should do when I only have three days or if I should save it for another trip. Biplane ride? I'm all about doing new things I haven't tried... More info please?