FOUR SEASONS, RITZ, or GRAND WAILEA on MAUI?

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 05:34 AM
Annette

FOUR SEASONS, RITZ, or GRAND WAILEA on MAUI?

We will be travelling to Maui for our honeymoon in May, 1998. We are stuck in making a decision on where to lodge. Our top three choices are Four Seasons, Ritz Karlton and Grand Wailea. We want a top notch luxurious resort, great beaches for swimming, and a resort that affords plenty of romance and privacy. Can anyone help us make the final call on this one? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Old Jan 29th, 1998, 08:20 PM
L. Montgomery

You will not find privacy at the Grand Wailea, it is huge, everything is a long walk and it is crowded.
Ritz is beautiful but you are not able to swim at their beach at some times because it is too rough; also you must be transported to the beach since there is an anchient Hawaiian burial ground between the Hotel and the beach.
Four Season's is lovely, quiet, has the best beach on the Island and excellent service.
If you do choose Four Season's be sure and get one of their packages that includes their wonderful breakfast buffett.
If you really want to splurge, their executive suites are stunning, and in the front of the Hotel with ocean views.

Old Jan 30th, 1998, 05:21 PM
ED

Aloha Annette! I've stayed at a few different
resorts on Maui, and by far, the Grand Wailea wins
my vote. We were there last August, and I didn't
feel crowded. It fronts Wailea Beach, which is one
of the nicest recreational beaches on Maui. Swim,
snorkel, kayak, sail. Whatever you feel like doing.
There is a beautiful adult only pool which is very
quiet and relaxing. While we were there Tom Cruise
and Michael Jordan were at the adult pool. Their
privacy was never a problem! It's a beautiful resort. Many couples from Japan were getting married in their chapel. If you really want a honeymoon to remember, the Grand Wailea should be your choice.
If you need any more info about Maui feel free to
e-mail me direct.

Aloha,
ED

Old Feb 19th, 1998, 03:36 PM
Mike

We stayed at the Kea Lani, and would not stay there again. It's two hotels down from the Grand Wailea. My wife and I walked through the Grand Wailea and it seemed much to big. The pools were amazing though. The Ritz also looked very nice. A much quiter area than the Wailea/Kihei area. I always include Kihei in comments about Wailea because most people won't stay and eat at the resorts as they are extremely expensive and Kihei is where you will most likely go to eat if you stay in Wailea. As I said in other posts, Kihei could pass for the New Jersey shore. Don;t get me wrong, I like the Jersey shore a lot, but I can drive there. I expect much different when I travel to Hawaii. You get that in West Maui (Kaanapali though gets crowded also). To get a more Hawaiian experience, I recommend staying in West Maui.

Old Feb 20th, 1998, 05:30 PM
brandi

I would highly recommend the grand wailea! We went there for our honeymoon and had a fantastic time. My husband and myself are picky travelers and this met our expectations if not exceeded them. The suites are huge and I love the bathrooms with jacuzzi tub. On the beach hang hammocks and you both can watch the sun set. There are two pools, one quiet for adults only, but we had alot of fun at the other pool area. Water slides, tube floats, swim up bar, everything. The food is supperb at all the resaurants we ate at on the hotel site. You must go to the one named after the local fish (names too long). Well we had a wonderful time here and plan to go back for one of our anniversaries. Also we lived on oahu for 3 years and the only other resort we liked was koele lodge/manelle bay on lanai. The price is expensive but I believe you get what you pay for and here thats certainly true.

Old Feb 21st, 1998, 10:07 AM
Susan

I would highly recommend the Wailea area of Maui.My husband and I with our two children(5and7)go to Maui every year for two weeks.We have always stayed in the Wailea and love it(we would not stay anywhere else).I can not understand how Mike in a previous post can group Kihei and Wailea together,they could not be more diffrent.I guess if you compare Kihei to the New Jersey shore it would be like Wildwood,Then Wailea could be compared to Cape May at the New Jersey shore.Oh, we live in Cape May at the New Jersey shore and love it just as much as we love wailea. we have done just about all of the tourist activities in our past visits,we now go to relax.Maybe because we live in a resort area with great restraunts,we don't think the food at the resorts are that expensive.The Pacific Rim cuisine is one of the best part of our vacation.Which ever area of Maui you decide on you will fall in love with the island. We are returning in 8 weeks and we can't wait. Aloha, Susan

Old Feb 21st, 1998, 11:51 AM
Mike

I understand why you wouldn't want to group Kihei and Wailea together, but I believe in reality you have to. Most people will not stay within the resort area. The exception may be those who return every year to the same resort because they love where they stay like you do, which I think is great. But, again, most of us who do go and pay to stay at the nice places need to watch what we spend in others, mainly dining. If that's the case, then the resort hotel dining is reserved for only a few nights of a vacation. By the way, I love Cape May, but I won't (don't have to) drive to Wildwood to eat! The food is generally reasonable in Cape May area - at least the last time I was there! Us North Jerseyan's don't get the opportunity often to get down there!

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 05:34 AM
Annette

Thank you all for your responses! We are going to go with the Grand Wailea. Will write back after our trip. Thanks again!

Old Feb 28th, 1998, 06:10 AM
shel

You made the right choice! We honeymooned there 3 yrs ago and are going back this year - the Grand Wailea will exceed your expectations!