COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Four Seasons--Maui or Big Island?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:00 AM
Bridgette

Four Seasons--Maui or Big Island?

My fiance and I are considering the Four Seasons in Maui and the Big Island for our honeymoon in Fall 2003. We are wanting to stay at only one location for 9 nights. The Big Island FS looks the most amazing but Maui seems to be the better island for the length of our visit. Any opinions from people who have visited both? Thanks!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:20 AM
Bryan

I visited both properties this past November for my honeymoon and I highly recommend. . . . . . . both!

Maui has a very traditional resort feel. You've got a standard pool area, nothing to write home about (they will be doing some renovating which I know nothing about), a fantastic beach, and everything you'd expect from the Four Seasons in terms of comfort, food and service. The resort attracts a ton of families, and kids were an unfortunate fixture wherever we went inside the resort. Maui is of course, beautiful. The beaches, the mountains, road to Hana, Lahaina, I could go on.

Four Seasons Big Island is completely different, and that's what's so great about it! Who'd want to visit a carbon copy resort a few hundred miles away? This had a very hawaiian feel, much more traditional than the 'Palm Springs or West Palm Beach, FL' feel of Maui. The rooms are actually two-story bungalows which have rooms on the top and the bottom. Ours had a ground-floor patio that led right out to the beach. Everything is separated and you walk around on pathways that are lit by Tiki torches at night. Very romantic and very polynesian. They have 5 pools, one of which is indoors and one of which is dedicated solely to kids. This means that the other pools were all blissfully quiet. As expected, the service and food were impecable. The biggest drawback to this 4S is the lack of beach. There is a beach but it is fairly small, the water is very rough, in short, it can't touch Wailea beach. The Big Island also has problems going up against Maui. It is not a beautiful island as most of what you will see is covered in dark, volcanic rock. But there is still much to see and do.

I highly recommend going to both resorts. I think 9 days is a long time to be at one place when there is so much to see so close. Check 4S website, I know they run 'dual-island' packages, even though we found a better deal booking them separately. Both properties met our honeymoon expectations and we would go back to either in a second.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
bryan

I meant to conclude my response by saying that if you absolutely HAVE TO stay at only one place for 9 days, then it probably should be Maui. There's just more to see and do and keep you busy. But I stand by my previous recommendation to do both.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 12:53 AM
David

Actually, Bryan, I would have to disagree with you about the beauty of the Big Island. I would say that the MAJORITY of the island is very lush, green and beautiful. It's only a relatively small portion (unfortunately, the resort side) that is unattractive, and that is the Kohala/Kona coast, although I do know people out there who think THAT'S beautiful as well, but I do not think so!!

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:53 AM
natalie

Resort wise the BI is much prettier. Beautiful rooms (slate floors and poster beds), seveal pools, and an oceanlike pond that has snorkeling w/ fish. The food also better IMO. But there is more to do on Maui. I personally would choose the Big Island - I love seing the turtles along the beach. But. if you may never come back to Hawaii than perhaps Maui. Keep in mind that the Maui resort will be much more crowded with families. Congrats!

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Barbara

You're very wise to go with the Four Seasons. Just stayed at the Maui poperty this past July and it was lovely, but Hualalai is the finest hotel in Hawaii! It is fabulous and I would highly reccommend it for a honeymoon. You can snorkle in the King's Pond on property and if you walk (or bike) around the golf course on the path that runs along the water you will come to a lovely little swimming beach- and you'll probably be the only ones there!

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:21 PM
John

I agree with Bryan about the BI's appearance near the FS. Not very tropical looking.
Plenty to see and do, and plenty of beauty elsewhere on the island, but long drives to get there and back to the FS.
Maui isicertainly more stereotypically tropical looking.
I's vote against 9 days in one spot, but that's just me.
Plenty of time to stay at 2 places.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 02:36 AM
mbln74a

If you decide on the Big Island, I'll be happy to provide you with info that will give you more than 9 days worth of things to see & do.
congratulations on your impending marriage, may you live happily ever after.
Aloha, Linda