Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Four Seasons Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/four-seasons-maui-702987/)

pa_renee May 6th, 2007 04:02 PM

Four Seasons Maui

I was debating between this hotel and the Grand Wailea for our anniversary but decided on the Four Seasons as most people say the Grand Wailea is geared towards families with children.
Has anyone booked a garden or partial ocean view room here? The prime ocean front rooms run over $1000 a day and I would rather spent the difference for the spa, meals, ect.
Any recommendations? Is it really worth an extra $300+ a night just for the view considering we really don't spend much time in the room!

Ike May 6th, 2007 06:32 PM

The hotel is a U shaped hotel and you would have a partial ocean view in most all of the ocean view rooms unless you book one of the rooms on the very end of the U which will cost an arm and a leg. I was not pleased with the price I paid for an oceanview room which was really partial. We were way back off the end and closer to the back of the hotel. I think a garden view room at the lower price would be a better bargain as you won't be there often except to sleep. If you do pay the big price and get one that's partial you will have to crane your neck to see the ocean or even the pool. Get a garden view on the lower floors. You can view the ocean from the pool or walking on the beach but it's a great hotel. I want to go back. Good luck.

Ashley24 May 7th, 2007 02:25 AM

We had a partial ocean view. As lke stated, it is a U shaped building. We were on the side of the U, up about 3 floors. We could see the ocean but it wasn't a direct view, nor could we hear the ocean. The hotel is not close enough for you to hear the ocean from those rooms. We were very pleased with our room (great balcony with padded seat cushions) and the hotel itself. I personally would not spend extra to have ocean front.

Mikensha May 8th, 2007 07:03 AM

We always make sure to let them know we are there celebrating our anniversary and we always get a free upgrade to oceanview when we check in. We've never stayed at the Four Seasons, but we have been upgraded at both hotels we stayed in Maui (The Embassy Suites, the Renassaince Wailea) as well as the Koolina Marriot on Oahu. I would book the room that has the price you want to pay and hope for an upgrade.

TTess May 8th, 2007 07:31 AM

Having stayed in the ocean front and partial ocean view rooms, I'd say that you're smart to get the garden view. Just make sure you're not facing the front. Ask for a center backyard view.

dfr4848 May 8th, 2007 08:01 AM

We had prime ocean front rooms which were wonderful. That was a few years ago and they were certainly much less than $1,000. I wouldn't pay that today and don't think they're worth that much extra, especially if you're not going to spend that much time in the room. Having said that, the hotel was first rate and the service and food were impeccable, very much what you'd expect at FS. Highly recommend the hotel.

jerry Jun 29th, 2007 03:35 AM

we had an oceanfront room after initially being booked into a room at the end of the u. they were doing construction and we weren't going to stay there. the ocean front room was a great view and the hotel and the staff were four seasons quality

mjs Jun 29th, 2007 05:40 PM

We have stayed in all three type rooms and would recommend that you save your money and go for a garden room. They are all the same except for the view. I do not think the Grand is really that much more oriented towards children as our children always had a blast at the 4S kids club. The 4S is just a better hotel except for the pools.

Ashley24 Jun 30th, 2007 03:32 AM

I agree about the 4S being a great hotel for kids. They treat your kids like royalty and you can't beat their complimentary children's program...First rate!