Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   four hours in NYC with small kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/four-hours-in-nyc-with-small-kids-514796/)

momtothree Mar 22nd, 2005 08:07 AM

four hours in NYC with small kids

I have a 6.5 hour layover in Newark this summer while travelling with my 6 & 4 year olds and infant. I figure shaving off two and a half hours for boarding our departing flight to Canada leaves us four hours to see the city...any ideas for a mom who is outnumbered by kids? I'd be open to either a bus tour, or a single destination, but don't want to introduce too many opportunities to get lost, or heaven forbid, lose a kid.

yoonny Mar 22nd, 2005 08:28 AM

You got to be kidding!

4 hours, back and forth from Newark, NJ to NYC.... You will be lucky to have 2 hours of sightseeing time.

Maybe you are better off taking a cab to KidsWorld in Elizabeth, NJ (15 min ride) and let the kids play around.

MFNYC Mar 22nd, 2005 08:29 AM

How about the Museum of Natural History. If it's a nice day, you can walk from there to Central Park for the kids to play in a playground. ANother options would be to spend the day in Central park, there's the carousel, and zoo, plus all the playgrounds.

Sunnyboy Mar 22nd, 2005 08:43 AM

Think about a visit to the Liberty Science Museum. It's about a 15 minute ride from the airport and the kids will love it - lots of interactive exhibits.

HowardR Mar 22nd, 2005 08:48 AM

I agree with yoonny. You're lucky if you end up with 2 hours of actual "fun time." And to do it with three children who can certainly create unpredictable experiences.....At best, you're looking at a lot of effort for a small return, or at worst, a real crazy, hectic, exasperating time!

padams421 Mar 22nd, 2005 09:50 AM

I'd go with one of the recommendations for somewhere in NJ close to the airport.

I can't imagine trying to get into the NYC with a 6 year old, a 4 year old and an infant in a 4 hour (at best- assuming no flight delays) window of time.

nytraveler Mar 22nd, 2005 10:21 AM

Agreed - you don;t have enough time to get to the City.

Even if your incoming flight is on time (and what do you plan on doing with your luggage - check it at the new airline - how long will that take?) you have a max of 4 hours. With 3 little kids it will take you at least an hour into the City - and another hour back to the airport. (And if there's any sort of delay in trains etc - we've been having alot of those lately - you're screwed.)

So your real time in the City is two hours at best - and that includes the time to get wherever you're going. Getting a cab and to the Museum of Natural History - or the zoo in Central Park will take 30 minutes - plus another 30 minutes back.

Now you're down to one hour of real "leisure time" - hardly worth the effort.

(This might be doable with an adult who's determined and can move quickly - but not with kids and a baby.)

MFNYC Mar 22nd, 2005 10:46 AM

Actallu, now that I reread everything, I agree about staying in NJ. The Liberty Science center is an excellent suggestion.

bugswife1 Mar 22nd, 2005 10:54 AM

Liberty Science Center hands down.
They have a website I believe. THey will have a great time, and there are lockers to check all the carry on gear you will be lugging. Bathrooms are clean, food isn't half bad, they have IMAX movies, some hands on exhibits. Great fun.

happytrailstoyou Mar 22nd, 2005 05:29 PM

You won't have time to do much sightseeing. I suggest a walk up 5th Avenue and a visit to the Central Park Zoo. It will give you a flavor of the city.

seetheworld Mar 22nd, 2005 05:54 PM

All things being perfect, and your incoming flight is one time, you will be lucky to have much time with your three little ones. Liberty Science Center would get my vote - plenty of room to run around and lots of hands-on activities to help your children release their pent up energy.

happytrailstoyou Mar 22nd, 2005 06:46 PM

It is exhilarating to walk through Times Square, over to Rockefeller Center (where they put the big Christmas tree), and up 5th Avenue to Central Park. With so few hours in New York City, please don't spend them indoors.

I guess if you live in New York it's a treat to go to the Liberty Science Center.

jlm_mi Mar 22nd, 2005 07:00 PM

happytrailstoyou - the point of all the other posters isn't that Liberty Science Center is the best thing to do with kids near NYC. It's that the poster would be crazy to drag her 3 kids into NYC with so little time and actually try to do something. They simply don't have time to actually do anything in NYC and remain sane. Liberty Science Center is an alternate to spending the time at the airport. NYC is not a reasonable idea for this particular situation.

But, if you disagree, definitely feel free to lay out suggestions for this trip into the city. No one yet has been able to see a way that it makes sense to do it.

MFNYC Mar 23rd, 2005 05:04 AM

I don't recommend strolling around with 3 small children in Times Sq and around town. Times Sq. is chaotic and crowded, and may be intimidating for small children. If they were teens, it's another story. Also, small kids will start compaining of tired feet, if you spend the time just walking.

The libery science center has play areas (at least it used to when I took my kids years ago) where the 6&4 yr old can play, and you can sit & relax with your infant.

happytrailstoyou Mar 23rd, 2005 06:15 AM

I was responding to momtothree’s request for information about “how to see the city” during a short layover at Newark airport and that, since her children are young, she also is young, strong, and in full control of her three children.

I agree that she doesn’t have much time and that any plan to visit NYC during a six-hour layover could be thwarted by a late arrival of her flight to Newark.

Nonetheless, since the bus between Newark to NYC is $12 each, I suggest booking a limo. The rate is about $50-$60 each way. Here are some services:

 Limo One Transportation 1-888-904-5466 or 1-908-686-9399
 Capital Limousine 1-800-263-1279
 Super Saver by Carmel 1-800-924-9954 or 1-212-666-6666
 Tel Aviv Car & Limo Service 1-800-222-9888 or 1-212-777-7777

I think it would be loads of fun to take a car to Times Square and, with a well-researched route in hand, walk around the city popping in and out of stores, churches, and what-have-you. However, if this is too much, momtothree can find out about city tours as http://www.graylinenewyork.com

I lived in NYC for thirty years and entertained children of all ages by walking them around the city. It’s great fun for everybody.

mingtsainy Mar 23rd, 2005 09:20 AM

Momtothree, sorry to tell you this but most of the posters are right about the time it takes to get to and from Newark Airport from Manhattan. And taking the cheapest transportation (ie. buses & trains) is not very convenient if you are dragging three kids around.

If you can afford it, hire a limo/car service for the entire 4 hours. The driver will pick you up at the airport, load your carry-on bags into the trunk and drive you around the sites. If you need to stop somewhere for a walk, the driver will wait for you at a corner or give you a cell number where you can call him for a pick-up. The limo is yours for the entire afternoon and the driver will be able to advice you on where and when to go.

Go to http://newyork.citysearch.com and find a limo company. I believe it will cost about $50/hour for the service.

Good luck.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/search...telAttraction=