Four Free Days In South Florida - Any Ideas??

Old Aug 21st, 1997, 01:09 PM
Susan

Four Free Days In South Florida - Any Ideas??

Our next vacation includes three days of diving in Key Largo and four days with nothing yet planned. I have researched and researched but am still looking for that "Best Kept Secret" of South Florida. Our trip must end up in St.Pete, so anything in between would not be out of the way. Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Old Aug 22nd, 1997, 03:55 AM
Neal Sanders

Susan: There are so many guide books to Florida that uncovering a "best kept secret" is awfully hard. I'll try. First, the diving at Pennekamp State Park is OK, but it's better at Looe Key (boats go out of Big Pine Island around Mile Marker 25). An airboat ride into the Everglades from one of the places along the Tamiami Trail (US 41) is a great experience. Pay up for one of the longer trips; it's worth it. Fairchild Tropical Garden on Boscayle Bay (Old Cutler Road at SW 112th St.) is possibly the most beautiful spot in south Florida. The best, and most deserted, beach in south Florida is the John Lloyd Recreation Area between Hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale. The $5per car admission fee will entitle you to a look at what Florida was like before 1900. The area has some world-class restaurants; go to Zagat's for a listing (Chef Allen is a must). And, if you want to see "real Florida," the one with cowboys, fishermen, unspoiled state parks, etc., head inland. For an excellent guide, check out the column "Real Florida" in the St. Petersburg Times ("sptimes.com"). That site stores the last dozen or so columns. Have a good trip; I hope the diving lives up to expectations.

Old Aug 23rd, 1997, 04:56 AM
Ed

Hi Susan: Take the drive to Key West (delightful
city) and then sea plane (inexpensive) to Ft.
Jefferson in Dry Tortugas. Only takes about 45
minutes. Huge old fort out in ocean. There are
many people diving there. Only way there is by
seaplane or boat. Fort is operated by National
Park Service. You fly low enough you can see
turtles, sea rays, etc. Regards, Ed

Old Aug 23rd, 1997, 05:17 AM
Gene

Susan, while it is not a well kept secret, you may want to try Sanibel/Captiva Islands on the Gulf Coast outside of Ft Myers. If you go in out of season time it is deligtful and uncrowded. Great beaches, restaurants and botique type shopping.

Stay at Tween Waters Inn or South Seas Plantation. Must eat at Bubbles on Captiva Island.

Old Aug 26th, 1997, 10:17 AM
Annie

Susan, on your way back
to St. Pete, take a side trip over to Siesta Key,
its right outside of Sara-
sota. Hubby and I spent
a week there last winter
and fell in love with it. The beach is the best. Its
a little island village, and
I think the best kept secret of the west coast!
Spend an hour or so sitting on the outside deck of the Margarita
Deck... you won't be
disappointed.

Old Aug 28th, 1997, 05:16 PM
sharon

go to the mid to upper keys to Islamorada and try bonefishing on the grassy flats of the bay side of the keys. Lots of guides hanging around this area, even flyfishing for these spooky fish...standing ona skiff polling through these waters is quiet and almost otherworldly. We love the Lorelei a deliciously tacky restaurant and chickee bar...grilled fresh fish with mango salsa and yellow rice and black beans, icy beer and sunset after a day of back bay fishing.

I second Fairchild gardens but my personal pick for something different is the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. This is 11000 acres of 500 yr old bald cypress which has been privately owned by the Audubon Society for over 90 years. This is one of the few unmanipulated areas of south Florida and host to endangered birds and exotic flowers. You need to look carefully as you take a 1 or 2 mile hike on a boardwalk through this area. This area is off I 75 right after crossing the Everglades on Alligator Alley about 15 miles inland from Naples and on your way to St. Pete. Best beach in Florida is just a few minutes north of St. Pete at Caladesi State Park.