Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Four-Day Scouting Trip in the Seattle Area - Need Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/four-day-scouting-trip-in-the-seattle-area-need-advice-996698/)

jim_daley Nov 1st, 2013 01:20 PM

Four-Day Scouting Trip in the Seattle Area - Need Advice

Hi everyone-

I recently accepted a job offer in Bellevue and will soon be moving to the Seattle area (from Raleigh, NC). I'll soon be embarking on a four day scouting trip to explore the area and figure out where I might want to settle in the long-term. I'd appreciate any advice from the community about the best neighborhoods to explore and get a feel for, based on the following:

1) I'm looking to eventually settle in a neighborhood with a vibrant city feel... so thinking somewhere in downtown Seattle.
2) Neighborhood/area with a decent selection of condos and/or apartments.
3) Walkable access to bars, restaurants, and other entertainment venues. I'm a regular guy who prefers dive bars and burgers over martinis and tapas.
4) Plenty of people in their late 20s-late 30s.
5) Maybe not the most elite part of town- but an area that's considered fairly safe.

Thanks in advance!

happytrailstoyou Nov 1st, 2013 04:25 PM

You are describing Capitol Hill, which is a well-established neighborhood with all the amenities you mention and which is within walking distance of downtown, the sports stadiums, etc.

Some people say pretty much the same of Lower Queen Anne Hill, but having lived in both places I much prefer Capitol Hill.

HTtY

Katzgar Nov 2nd, 2013 02:45 AM

I got the hell out of there a little over a year ago. Living in Seattle and working in Bellevue will allow you to enjoy hours and hours stuck in awful traffic and to pay bridge tolls. Expect to deal with depression during the cold drizzly gray winters.

Gardyloo Nov 2nd, 2013 06:20 AM

As I mentioned on your TA thread, you'll have to commute across Lake Washington on one of two bridges, I-90 (free) or SR 520 (toll) both of which (and the approaches) can be very congested at commuting hours (in both directions, so no relief there.) SR 520 runs north of downtown Bellevue, I-90 south, and they're connected by I-405 through downtown Bellevue, also very trafficky. There IS okay public transit, but much depends on <i>where</i> in Bellevue you're working - could be easy, could be miserable.

Capitol Hill is fine, also, as I mentioned on the other thread, look at the "South Lake Union" area just north of downtown - many new offices, apartments, condos, restaurants, retail, etc. - the new home of Amazon.com, with lots and lots of people in your target demographic. South Lake Union also has decent access to the freeway system if you choose to commute by car.

Also, though, I'd look at downtown Bellevue and particularly downtown Kirkland, both on the east side of the lake. These are both very rapidly developing areas with a lot of amenities and also very popular with the demographic you seek. The commute would be much easier, and you'd still get a pretty decent "big city" feel.

happytrailstoyou Nov 2nd, 2013 08:13 AM

Sorry, I missed that you will be working in Bellevue. I suggest you investigate your options Kirkland and Bellevue and save Capitol Hill for occasional weekends.

HTtY

voyager61 Nov 2nd, 2013 08:25 AM

As noted above, to avoid the bridge commute from Seattle, if that is a priority, try downtown Kirkland. It is more low-key and has more ordinary places to eat than you would probably find in downtown Bellevue, plus it's slightly less expensive. Spend some time walking through all the neighborhoods mentioned and see what fits you best. Each one is completely different than the others and that will be readily apparent when you spend a day there.

beanweb24 Nov 2nd, 2013 10:02 AM

If you are at all open to the 'burbs, consider downtown Redmond, too. There's been a lot of new construction lately, and some pretty decent apartments built with some good bars/restaurants within walking distance. I've had two friends move there recently (age 29 and 33) and they both really enjoy it (and also work on the East Side).

When I moved here in 2007 the commute from Seattle to Bellevue was tolerable. Starting in about 2011, it no longer was - which is why I now live in the 'burbs and save my visits to Seattle for the weekend (and yes, I do get there frequently)!