Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fort Myers Beach Restaurants & Cindo de Mayo (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fort-myers-beach-restaurants-and-cindo-de-mayo-885069/)

BadgerJayhawk Apr 3rd, 2011 03:23 PM

Fort Myers Beach Restaurants & Cindo de Mayo

We will be in Fort Myers Beach for a week at the beginning of May. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations? We aren't picky & love seafood & sushi. Mainly looking for reasonably priced dinner options, but will probably go to a "nice" dinner once or twice. We will also be there for Cindo de Mayo so any suggestions on where to go that day/evening would be great.

I did a search of the forums & didn't come up with anything recent so wanted to get some more current recommendations.

Thanks!!

BadgerJayhawk Apr 3rd, 2011 03:24 PM

Also any recommendations on good, reasonably priced grocery &/or liquor stores near/on the way to Fort Myers beach from Fort Myers airport would be appreciated, as we are staying in a condo & will eat in for some meals.

Ackislander Apr 3rd, 2011 10:30 PM

WEll, there will be a Publix supermarket about every two miles all the way from the airport -- only a slight exaggeration! They sell food, wine, beer at prices as good as anywhere. They have a very nice sunflower seed bread that makes good toast; they bake it themselves, so you will find it in the bakery section.

You don't say where you are coming from. I live in Massachusetts where alcohol is relatively cheap, so FLA prices seem high. My British friends, on the other hand, think they have entered a drinker's paradise.

Ackislander Apr 3rd, 2011 10:35 PM

Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican American holiday, which I believe is pretty small stuff in Mexico itself.

Most of the Latin population in Florida is Cuban, though there are large numbers of Guatemalan, Mexican, Nicaraguan, and Salvadoran migrant workers as well, most of whom care about as much about Cinco de Mayo as they do the Queen's Birthday.

So you might find a couple of restaurants doing a promotion, but you are not likely to find big celebrations. But I could be wrong.

BadgerJayhawk Apr 4th, 2011 09:10 AM

Thanks Ackislander! I'm coming from the Kansas City area, so assume Florida prices will seem a bit higher than what we are used to but that's ok. I'll look for the bread...it sounds tasty!

We don't have huge Cinco de Mayo celebrations here either, but if there was a good Mexican restaurant in the area I thought they might have something going on.

SusanMargaret Apr 6th, 2011 05:06 AM

Not sure exactly where you are staying, but there is a Publix at FMB about half way to Bonita Springs. While you are at FMB I highly recommend breakfast or lunch at the Baywalk Cafe (Old San Carlos Boulevard). Service is very friendly and almost everything is homemade, including the muffins, scones, etc. The Tuckaway is good for a latte. The Beached Whale is great for pub food with lots of fishy options and Heavenly Biscuit is a fun place for breakfast. The only high-end restaurant nearby is the Sandy Butler which is off island, very pricy, but supposed to be good. Times Square has a number of inexpensive places to eat, including a Mexican one.