Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fort Mandan (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fort-mandan-525623/)

lovetotraveltoo Apr 30th, 2005 04:24 PM

Fort Mandan

Planning a trip this summer through North Dakota and thought of stopping at Fort Mandan and the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center north of Bismarck. Anyone been there?

Elena Apr 30th, 2005 04:59 PM

I believe Lewis and Clark have been there.

lovetotraveltoo May 3rd, 2005 03:37 PM

Hee Hee!! It doesn't look like anyone else has been there since Lewis and Clark cause I haven't gotten any responses! I hope its worth going out of our way for.

HotWheels May 3rd, 2005 07:49 PM

lovetotraveltoo - What direction are you traveling within ND, and in which month? We visited that area last summer - it's about 45 minutes north of Bismarck, on the outskirts of Washburn (very small town). There's a small new Interpretive Center with Native American artifacts,Karl Bodmer prints,etc. Down the road is Fort Mandan, historically re-created, furnished as it would have been. During summer months there's usually a "Fur Trader's" camp with costumed portrayers. There's also a nice,small gift store on site. If you decide to visit, another stop not far away is the Knife River Indian Villages. Many depressions still visible from earth lodges built long ago, a furnished reconstructed lodge,Visitor Center.
Some sites may have historical commemorations this summer - check the DiscoverND website.
I would recommend Fort Lincoln area south of Bismarck-Mandan. There's usually some re-enactment going on, such as Cavalry Days,Nu'eta Corn Festival,etc. You can visit Cavalry Square,the soldiers' barracks, Custer's Home, all reconstructed from the original sites & furnished with period furniture, by the river bottom. On the bluffs are the forts' blockhouses, and very nearby is the On-A-Slant Mandan Indian village. The lodges are reconstructed, and often local Native Americans are there playing flutes, making food,etc. On weekend evenings plays are held in the commissary, as they would have been in the old days.
There's a very nice campground also, all by the scenic Missouri river. You can also go on a trail ride showing the route Custer left Ft. Lincoln from to go to Little Bighorn, and ride the "Far West" riverboat.
If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help you. Another suggestion - Medora, ND & the ND Badlands is definitely worth a trip. Very scenic area; historic town with lots of activities!

mamamia66 May 4th, 2005 02:24 AM

I agree that Fort Lincoln is worth the stop. The ND Heritage Center in Bismarck is nice too & they used to have a cute zoo (I'm assuming it is still nice). Medora/Theodore Roosevelt National Park/Badlands is DEFINITELY worth the trip. It is about 2 hours west of Bismarck and a great vacation destination. There is the Medora musical performed in an open air theater each night which is carved into the badlands, pitchfork fondue, horseback riding, mini golfing, etc. Very fun!!! Make reservations soon though.

Eighme May 27th, 2005 11:49 AM

I live in Bismarck, and I would definetely take in all the sites that we have to offer. (Which isn't alot, but its very nice here!! ) I would definetly hit Medora and the badlands. Very beautiful and fun. Much worth the drive!!